V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen much about new Heritages here in the forum so I'll throw out my less than two cents..

Picked up my new 08 Heritage on 9/21 and just turned over 500 miles. Due to my profession I work 7 days a week most of the year so miles for me will fluctuate quite a bit through the seasons.
So far everything seems fine, but keep in mind I am a newbie.
I definitely had annoying noise in fifth gear until about 350-400 miles. Did not change any oil though in the tranny and it has quietd significantly in the last 100 miles.
Despite being a newbie I've ridden about 30 miles in a decent rain at night, bike handled great, no problems at all.
Haven't had it above 60, much, due to the break-in period I've been warned about. Changing oil and filter this weekend with Harley 360 for now because the oil debate has my mind swimming!
25% of the miles are in-town to and from work.
25% of the miles on a few 30-50 mile trips throughthe mountains of Northeatern PA.
25% of the miles on Route 78, major Interstate that I ride into NJ once in awhile.
Remaining miles were 15-30 mile runs showin off the bike to friends...
Yes, I did have the standard newbie boot burn marks on the pipes though goo-gone followed by over cleaner swiped it right off, thanks for the posts BTW.
Didn't realize how loud of a CLUNK these bikes make when they start but either it's gotten quiter or I've gotten used to it. Don't actually mind it at all as long as I know it's normal. From other posts I see that it is.

Only minor gripe is that when rpms get up to about 3000 (that's a guess) I get an annoying plastic-type rattle somewhere up front in tank/handlbar area, tried leaning on parts(speedo,windshield,caps,mirrors,etc.) while running but nothing seems to stop or even lessen... any suggestions here would be friggin great.

OK, open to any questions or suggestions on keeping her in top shape.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
specfoto said:
Haven't seen much about new Heritages here in the forum so I'll throw out my less than two cents..

Picked up my new 08 Heritage on 9/21 and just turned over 500 miles. Due to my profession I work 7 days a week most of the year so miles for me will fluctuate quite a bit through the seasons.
So far everything seems fine, but keep in mind I am a newbie.
I definitely had annoying noise in fifth gear until about 350-400 miles. Did not change any oil though in the tranny and it has quietd significantly in the last 100 miles.
Despite being a newbie I've ridden about 30 miles in a decent rain at night, bike handled great, no problems at all.
Haven't had it above 60, much, due to the break-in period I've been warned about. Changing oil and filter this weekend with Harley 360 for now because the oil debate has my mind swimming!
25% of the miles are in-town to and from work.
25% of the miles on a few 30-50 mile trips throughthe mountains of Northeatern PA.
25% of the miles on Route 78, major Interstate that I ride into NJ once in awhile.
Remaining miles were 15-30 mile runs showin off the bike to friends...
Yes, I did have the standard newbie boot burn marks on the pipes though goo-gone followed by over cleaner swiped it right off, thanks for the posts BTW.
Didn't realize how loud of a CLUNK these bikes make when they start but either it's gotten quiter or I've gotten used to it. Don't actually mind it at all as long as I know it's normal. From other posts I see that it is.

Only minor gripe is that when rpms get up to about 3000 (that's a guess) I get an annoying plastic-type rattle somewhere up front in tank/handlbar area, tried leaning on parts(speedo,windshield,caps,mirrors,etc.) while running but nothing seems to stop or even lessen... any suggestions here would be friggin great.

OK, open to any questions or suggestions on keeping her in top shape.
You are kidding right? My manual for my 08 says 4000rpm for the first 50 miles and 5000rpm up to 500. Basically that's about 100 mph in 4th! Get a tach and let her rip! I doubt you'll ever hit 5k nuch less the rev limiter if that's how yoou ride it. 60mph isn't even running near the 5K in third!
Quit lugging your bike, it will last longer...

my $0.02

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I agree with adlerx....don't lug the bike too much. I don't have a 6 speed, but I would think cruising in 6th gear would have the bike running at a good rpm and around 70 -75 mph. And that noise you hear, I've also got that vibration from the licence plate holder. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adlerx said:
You are kidding right? My manual for my 08 says 4000rpm for the first 50 miles and 5000rpm up to 500. Basically that's about 100 mph in 4th! Get a tach and let her rip! I doubt you'll ever hit 5k nuch less the rev limiter if that's how yoou ride it. 60mph isn't even running near the 5K in third!
Quit lugging your bike, it will last longer...

my $0.02
Thanks adlerx, I'll let 'er rip tomorrow AM... also any suggestions on a tach, was thinkin about the minitach?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ice is Cool said:
I agree with adlerx....don't lug the bike too much. I don't have a 6 speed, but I would think cruising in 6th gear would have the bike running at a good rpm and around 70 -75 mph. And that noise you hear, I've also got that vibration from the licence plate holder. Enjoy the new ride!
Ice, vibe is definitely coming from in front of me, just took her out thinkin' you may have solved my vibe problem..... actually removed plate, holder/light, (police sleepy 'round here on a Sunday) same vibe, oh well I'll keep lookin, thanks tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rattle

SPECFOTO, Just for kicks check to see if the nut holding on the gas lid latch is loose. Mine was and the rattle was driving me nuts. Had about 500 miles on the bike when it happened. It's an easy check and fix!

~!Awesome!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
specfoto said:
Thanks adlerx, I'll let 'er rip tomorrow AM... also any suggestions on a tach, was thinkin about the minitach?
Hey, just for fun, I went out today and ran up to 5K in 4th, just a touch over 100mph. OK, the truth is that I do that every time I ride it, it's just so cool to go fast...
Just get a tach that looks like the motif you dig and that you know is gonna work....

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fix to rattle

Kah127,

That was it! Cripes I've been killin' myself on that one, thanks for that!

The trim rings were the rattlin' thing!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
specfoto said:
Kah127,

That was it! Cripes I've been killin' myself on that one, thanks for that!

The trim rings were the rattlin' thing!
Ask me how I know. Got mine back from the dealer doing some warranty work and had the same problem. The tech must not have taken it out of the parking lot or they would have heard it (and hopefully fixed it). It bothered me a little that they didn't test drive the bike better after they had the front forks all apart…:yikes:

Glad you problem is fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts