V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dummy me, used an abrasive pad (sink type with sponge on one side) to remove some smudges on my Python Pipe up near the Cylinder Wall. I was using light pressure but after removing the smudge marks noticed some fine scratches. Is there anything I can do to remove the fine scratches.

2004 Low Rider

I know I'm an idiot Thanks {salute(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sad to say, from what I've heard and read, you're pretty much screwed with scratches in chrome, especially if they're deep ones.

However, for hairline or brush scratches, I'd start with very clean pipes, then lightly apply Mother's Chrome Polish a couple times (using a soft micro-fiber cloth) and see how it looks. Bom's Away and MAAS are another couple "soft" metal polishes that might help somewhat if Mother's doesn't do it for you.

Other than that, maybe a coat or two of wax to "fill in" the hairlines and make them less noticeable. The old saying "nobody will notice it but you" probably applies, but for us anal-retentive types that doesn't seem to help.

A chrome guy once told me "don't touch it at all if you can avoid it" regarding new chrome...good advice - hard to do, though. Good luck, man! :chopper:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Can you say.... screwed.

Next time use 0000 steel wool lubricated with some spray on detailer. Works great... no scratches.... fast and easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should check with Python on the price of a new heat shield for that pipe. I have replaced a few over the years and from what I rememebr they were not too expensive.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Meguires wax on the paint after a thorough wash will make 99.99% of swirl scratches disappear. Put on a good coat of wax, let it dry, and then wipe off with a very soft cotton or flannel rag. Then, wipe it again in a polishing type (very little pressure) to bring out the real shine....almost zero lines. By the time I'm done I am just barely putting any pressure at all on the cloth. I try to keep a good coat of wax on the chrome so it will scratch rather than the chrome...but it's hard to prevent all scratches on chrome...and most of them are there to stay.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you have someone that can buff with felt pads that will help on hairline scratches.
Wax on pipes...well wax disappears somewhere around 300 degrees.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Never Dull is claimed to be a good chrome cleaner, but never tried it myself. I know it does a fantastic job on aluminum mags.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
jrehm said:
Never Dull is claimed to be a good chrome cleaner, but never tried it myself. I know it does a fantastic job on aluminum mags.
Great stuff on chrome or aluminum, though I don't think it actually removes scratches.

T113

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
jrehm said:
Do not.... I repeat, do not use Never Dull on chrome.... I did and it dulled them. Don't say I didn't warn you.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Clean it and ride...buy your kids new shoes. I doubt if anyone would even notice it.

Thorns

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Sorry about putting my above reply in here. You were asking about pipe scratches and I talked about paint. I meant to put it in the "Washing does more harm than good thread".
Steve

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
The only product I've ever used that removed any scratches from chrome is made by "The Wax Shop".. they sell a metal polish that does a decent job of removing very fine scratches. By "very fine", I mean almost invisible hairline marks. The stuff works great and you can get it at Pep Boys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts