V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In case this helps -

I've struggled for years trying to keep my hands warm in colder months - I have Reynaud's Syndrome like a number of folks. I've tried a number of things - the Electraglide has a fairing, of course, but even with that, heated hand grips, and electrically heated gloves my digits would start to numb in anything less than, say, 35-40 degrees after 20 minutes or so. I revisited a product I used years ago - Hippo Hands. Not aesthetically pleasing but form had to bow to function in this matter. They recommend hand deflectors to keep the Hippo Hands from pressing against the brake and clutch levers so I picked up a set of National Cycle Hand Deflectors from Revzilla. These have the added benefit of providing an additional element of wind protection. Also picked up some battery heated gloves (Highway 21) since I don't like dealing with threading the wires through my jacket and sleeves. These, and my heated hand grips, were to be my protection.

I set out from home the other day in 28 or 29 degree weather for a 65 minute commute at highway speeds. Glove heat was set to "High" and the grips were on setting 3 (out of 6). The setup worked like a charm - for the whole ride my hands stayed just as comfortable as if I were in my living room - couldn't believe it! Actually ended up dialing the heated grips back since they warm unevenly anyway - palms got overly hot.

For some this may be too elaborate but for others, who have struggled for a long time like I have and who have to ride in colder climates, hopefully it will help.

Attachments

·
Laughing Poseur
5,253 Posts
heated gear is the only way to go when it's cold...there are manufactures that link vests/jackets/ gloves all together....easy peasy....stay warm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The hand guards and heated gloves helped me quite a bit. So far, the coldest I've ridden in was 13 degrees, without the wind chill! Even then, my hands were toasty when I arrived at work, but my commute is rather short. The gloves heat up my palms, mostly, but the heat radiates through my hands to the backs, though I sometimes have to loosen my grip to allow the air to "cool off" my hands a bit. However, I'm also not using any kind of controller on them, so they get "full power" hot!

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
The hand guards and heated gloves helped me quite a bit. So far, the coldest I've ridden in was 13 degrees, without the wind chill! Even then, my hands were toasty when I arrived at work, but my commute is rather short. The gloves heat up my palms, mostly, but the heat radiates through my hands to the backs, though I sometimes have to loosen my grip to allow the air to "cool off" my hands a bit. However, I'm also not using any kind of controller on them, so they get "full power" hot!
I bet 5 bucks your neighbors and coworkers think you are a nut.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A friend gave me a pair of Hippo Hands years ago, I tried them on one trip. Hell I couldn't see any of my handlebar controls. I just thought I had that stuff memorized...NOT

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding the finding the controls w/Hippo Hands - yeah, a bit tricky - but not too bad. Turn signals were easy to find - sometimes high beams were difficult. But generally manageable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bet $10 he doesn't give a f*ck.
I know I sure don't. It was 12F when I rolled out of my garage yesterday. The only thing that got cold was my fingers. Been thinking about getting some Hippo Hands. Might be just the trick for riding in the cold Ohio winter months.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know I sure don't. It was 12F when I rolled out of my garage yesterday. The only thing that got cold was my fingers. Been thinking about getting some Hippo Hands. Might be just the trick for riding in the cold Ohio winter months.
If you do, be sure to get some hand guards to keep the Hippo Hands from pressing against the brake/clutch levers due to the wind - this has been a problem for riders who did not add these; causing problems with the brakes, for instance. And the HH website advises purchasers of this, I think. But the HH's were a game changer for me - heated gloves and grips helped a bit, but weren't enough in the presence of 70 mph winds for an extended amount of time -

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,528 Posts
I've seen pictures of milk jugs, bleach bottles, stuff like that cut and clamped to bars for wind guards. I've wondered about combining something like that with the Hippo Hands.

Seem like a dual win to me- they'd block wind better than leather (or whatever the HHs are made of) and they'd keep the HHs from collapsing onto your hands and controls.

joe

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
Looks to me like they blend in with the faring. Who is going to think they are odd looking? The guy in the car who has a bike like his? Fuk em. It is like a heavy leather jacket. It gets cold and that jacket feels light as a feather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts