V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my turn at eating it Saturday. I walked away with minor bruising. The bike is OOC for now, but will be back on the road when I can save up for all the parts. The oil filter got a hole punched in it, so I am going to pick up a new one today so that I can at least fire it up and take it around the block.

Pictures and details will come in the future.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you are ok though.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Someone else's fault, yours or just one of those things couldn't avoid?

Either way, glad to hear you're okay.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. Tell us, how did you get hit on the sidewalk?:D Now for a little humor and firsts. Yesterday afternoon, myself and a couple other guys went for a ride and stopped for a swim. Pulled under some shady trees, put the kickstand down and viola, the bike laid down on the asphalt.:D Missed the fruckin kickstand! Learned how well I could pick it up though! No damage other than a couple scracthes on the aluminum primary cover. Yeah, it was funny to me and my buddies.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Details damn it, I need details!

Glad you're still with us Sidewalk and sorry to hear about your bike! :(

·
Just bad
698 Posts
fourhour said:
Pulled under some shady trees, put the kickstand down and viola, the bike laid down on the asphalt.:D Missed the fruckin kickstand!
I'm thinkin that must be similar to driving off with a lock on the front brake rotor :mad: Fortunately it was an audience of two people and they were cool about helping get vertical again without any lip service.

Of course I just heard about some other guy doin that :rolleyes:

Hope you get yours back together soon!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was no one else at fault but mine. I am working on getting some pictures up on the web with some more details. I wrote up a short description on another site, I will just cut and paste in a few.

fourhour, I did a similar thing not too long ago. I sat down and put up the stand out of habit. Not sure what I was doing, but I went to lean it against the stand and I almost went over. I was able to stop it with one leg, then jump off and get both legs on that side to lift it. I was so proud because I didn't scratch my bike :rolleyes:, there goes that. There is one scrathed area on the tank cover that I plan to leave, just as a remnder.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
fourhour said:
Pulled under some shady trees, put the kickstand down and viola, the bike laid down on the asphalt.:D Missed the fruckin kickstand! Learned how well I could pick it up though! No damage other than a couple scracthes on the aluminum primary cover. Yeah, it was funny to me and my buddies.
Guy I knew used to go to Daytona in 70's before it became what it is now. Was down there one year with wife on back and had jeans with wide legs. Pulled up to light and started to put leg down and it caught. Over they went. No one hurt except he was right in front of about 20 hard core guys and he couldn't pick bike up. Every time he tried and dropped it, they roared. He said after about 5 times, they came over, picked it up. held it while he and wife got on and one patted him on head and said, "There ya go, little buddy."

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unome said:

one patted him on head and said, "There ya go, little buddy."
Ouch

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went down today. I was real lucky and everything turned out as well as it could. Went for a ride with a group riding:
Suzuki SV650
Suzuki SV650S
Blast
XB9R
Myself on the X1

Riding on a rough road I came out of a corner fast while trying to keep up with a faster rider (mistake #1, #2 being I was riding too close). Right out of the corner I spotted a big ass pot hole, so I swerved. I needed to have been on the brakes at about the same time as I reached the hole, and lining up for the next turn. Instead, I was forced to put off braking to swerve, which lead to a poor entry position. So, After getting on the brakes, I stayed on them too long (mistake #3) and was not able to get the bike into a lean. I was forced to go off the road on the outside (1 lane, 2 direction road, empty road) up a small embankment. At that point, I already knew that I was stuck going up the hill, so I choose to try and ride it as if I was on a dirt bike, and come smoothly (in a manner of speaking) back down to the pavement. My front tire lost traction about half way through this, and slide straight down. I was pitched forward off of the bike, which is good because it threw me from the bike. The bike went up and over the front where it dropped, rear wheel up, rotated, and came down facing the other direction on its right side. I landed about 5 feet in front of it, on my back. I got up immediately to kill the bike, but it shut itself down before I got on my feet, which is also good because the oil filter was opened, so the engine lost oil pressure.

I smacked my ankle on the shifter linkage as I was launched, that is the only injury I can find. My head slid a little on the dirt embankment, along with the rest of my body when I landed on my back. I was wearing my one piece suit, full face helmet, and leather boots. I can not find any damage, nothing notable on the helmet. I am going to inspect it again after I clean it up to be sure.

The bike wasn't ridable because of the oil filter, but all else appears to be okay enough that I could have ridden it out of the area. I need to do some more inspecting, so this list is not conclusive, but here is what I have found that needs to be replaced:
Rear brake pedal
Wind screen
Front left turn signal
Tail section
Speedo
Dash
Rear brake light
I am going to pull the wheels to make sure they are still straight. I coasted it down a hill a short distance, all felt good. It was smooth, tracked straight, and responded to my inputs properly. Though not a thorough test, it is a good indicator.

About 30 seconds after going down, the Firebolt rider pulled up. At that point I had already picked the bike up, an had it on the stand. The person I was following (SV 650) realized fast that I wasn't there, stopped and waited, then turned around. He was back to me within the same minute. The two other riders were there about 30 seconds later. After being sure I was okay and talking for a while, we agreed that two would go on and bring back the Firebolt riders truck, while the two others stayed with me. After about an hour and a half, they returned with the pick up and ramp. That is when I coasted down to where they were parked and we loaded up the bike.

We headed back into town and stopped at a pizza joint for lunch. Stopped back at the house of the Firebolt and Blast riders (husband and wife) to talk bikes for a while. Then headed to my house to drop me and the bike off. Wife was glad I was okay, not to upset over all.

Until that point it was a wonderful ride, and it continued to be a beautiful day. It could have been a lot worse. I came out fine, the bike will live to ride again (though it will be at least a few months until I can scrounge up the money for parts).

·
Registered
903 Posts
Damn Sidewalk! Glad to hear you're okay. 'Looks to me like you didn't make out all that bad. Here's my story: Last summer, I stop at a light waiting for traffic to go by to make a left turn, I start into the turn, lug the engine and stall it as I'm committed to the turn. I put my foot down but those baggers are HEAVY! It goes over onto the engine and saddlebag guards. It took alot to get it vertical again. With a bruised ego and as I'm trying to upright it, a car full of guys that saw the whole thing goes by with the window down, I expect laughing or a wise-ass remark but unexpectedly they ask if I'm alright and offer to help me. I had it back up by then but I thought it was nice of them.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Sidewalk, 'gald you came through so well. From that bike pic, it could have been a lot worse for you.

The accident was a relatively low cost learning experience. (Low cost in that you're not hurt badly! High cost in repairing the bike.) We can all learn from the mistakes others make. Sharing those mistakes may help others not make them.

Q: how pissed is your wife?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She took it quite well. She knows that it won't be the last time. She was just glad that I was fine.

Of course, now I have to ride the Blast when I want to ride with friends, that is gonna be wierd. Going from riding an X1 with a bunch of Zuk SV's and a Firebolt to riding a Blast. Oh well, I don't have room to complain.

The expense on myself was a bruised ego, the expense on isn't too bad. The picture above was just an example. The aluminum tail sections is what is going to get me.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Glad your ok,Sidewalk,thanks for the details.If it helps out one rider.....ahh never mind,it still sucks!!!
guido

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Your lucky it didn't land on your head my man!
Had that happen once on a dirt bike years ago, goin up a very steep hill, bike stalled, front wheel went skywards, frozen second or 2 then me and the bike came tumblin down one on top of each other!
Glad your ok, things can be fixed, you can't, in a manner of speaking.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad to hear your okay Sidewalk!!!

My booboo wasn't so spectacular, yesterday I went to a friends house to feed his cat, left the V-Rod out front on the kickstand, came back out and it was t!ts up on the asphalt. :(

Althought it was firmly weighted on the kickstand I think it rolled back a little and that was enough to bring it over. Busted front brake lever, left mirror, and scraped the pipes. I guess I got off easy.

..now where is that freakin cat!!! :mad:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Sidewalk. Hope you get her up and running soon. Glad you are alright! J.T.
P.S. I'm sure you were PISSED after it happened though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
glad to hear that you were able to walk away and you weren't injured

1 - 20 of 32 Posts