V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a sponsor who has a lot of time (26 yrs) and gives really good direction for those of you who follow a 12 step program. I have between 1 and 2 years and it has taken me a long time to get to this point. Years and years and years of relapses and ruining my life and starting over and ending up in the hospital and near fatal comas and all kinds of good stuff like that. So my sponsor wants me to attend a meeting that he does each week which is not a big deal but after doing my 5th step last month I made a plan to do this and flaked on him. I just so turns out that today is the day of this meeting. I had convinced myself that I don't like this meeting or the people at it. I am going again today and no matter how uncomfortable I am I will be there and seek his direction as I am more willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober than to go back out and use again. I must remember that it is much easier to stay sober than it is to get sober. I also have a tendency to want to listen to what my best friend says about this meeting as opposed to actually going with an open mind and this has been poison to me. I gotta go without him and become a part of this group as there are many highly successful people there. Being afraid of them will only keep me locked in the same box I have been for many years. If i really want to have more change in my life than I have already then I will take the direction of someone else who has been where I am. This is really all related to success as well. I am scared of reaching a point where I am really successful. Okay, wish me luck I am taking a leap of faith here. Have a great day all.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
anubiss

By the way, welcome around here, remember you, I believe from another site huh?

For myself I can say that the best/better meets I have been too are the ones I did not want to go to or did not feel like going. Don't listen to your friend, go with an open mind as you say. Don't like people at the meeting, afraid of them? Truthfully ask yourself if not everyone is unique in their way, are not you unique in your way? You do have something to offer or something someone wants. Only take your own inventory not others.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Anubisss, your post spoke of willingness and hope. You're on your way!

Lefty

·
Registered
280 Posts
In the third step,the four lettered word "care "scared the daylights out of me, not the word God.I knew what I did to people because I cared about them.Didn't want nothing to do with it.Try to kick the crap out of me, point a weapon at me, that I understood.Care? nope, knew nothing and wanted nothing.......twopffenig

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
anubisss said:
This is really all related to success as well. I am scared of reaching a point where I am really successful. Okay, wish me luck I am taking a leap of faith here. Have a great day all.
One of the things my sponsor told me that has stuck with me forever is this, you get up in the morning, you go out and do your best to have a good successful day. You do this, 1 day at a time, and in the end after all is done, the total will be a successful LIFE. Hang in there anubisss.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
anubisss said:
I have between 1 and 2 years and it has taken me a long time to get to this point. Years and years and years of relapses and ruining my life and starting over and ending up in the hospital and near fatal comas and all kinds of good stuff like that.
You really only have today...the past can be a painful lesson but it's a memory...we all hope for a good tomorrow but we must get through today first...your acceptance of your need for direction from your sponsor and your need for a spiritual connection are both vital in your continued sobriety...it's a good milestone!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
anubisss said:
................ I had convinced myself that I don't like this meeting or the people at it. I am going again today and no matter how uncomfortable I am I will be there and seek his direction as I am more willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober than to go back out and use again. ................

"Principles not personalites"

good luck, friend

·
Sick Puppy
1,703 Posts
Good luck Anubisss

·
Registered
5 Posts
your on your way man, Honesty, open mindedness & willingness The h.o.w. that we need to live by. I try to work the N.A. program not MY program. cuz MY program has always been the softer easier way. those guys with the double didgit # clean didnt get there by luck, go to that mtg and get the most you can from it. Its good to see you here Ive seen you on the other site also. The great thing about recovery is we never have to deal with things on our own. just keep reacing out.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
sticker said:
The great thing about recovery is we never have to deal with things on our own. just keep reacing out.
That's the most important point...

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
Brother,

bag your so called friend for right now. some people don't like seeing us get sober and changing and they want us to stay where they are??? If your friend is in the program then you might want to find another.

Identify in rather than out. Look at what you have in common with the people at this meeting-----listen to their message.

One thing to remember is that we all put or pants on the same way every morning --- one leg at a time. They may have what you consider success but they are still in the rooms dealing with the same disease. Who cares what they do or how much they have, man put that aside and go get your sobriety.

If their perceived status in life bother you then find another meeting there is no shame in that.

I will repeat what others have said is that usually the meetings i didn't like were offering me a very strong message about myself or something i needed to hear about getting sober.

be as open to their message and humanity as you would want them to be with yours.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
huckinfog said:
One of the things my sponsor told me that has stuck with me forever is this, you get up in the morning, you go out and do your best to have a good successful day. You do this, 1 day at a time, and in the end after all is done, the total will be a successful LIFE. Hang in there anubisss.

That is great info !!

I like good open meeting where there are new people( no shortage here plenty of rehab houses with 1 block of my shop) They really make me feel like I have no problems at all. But how ever you work the program keep working it.
I am hard headed about some things and many times it is hard to really work the program. But I have my wife who helps me, that is what others are for , reach out , if it takes 3 meeting a day then so be it. I was there once. Good luck to you I hope you find a way to keep on track.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
45leadslinger said:
Brother,

bag your so called friend for right now. some people don't like seeing us get sober and changing and they want us to stay where they are??? If your friend is in the program then you might want to find another.

Identify in rather than out. Look at what you have in common with the people at this meeting-----listen to their message.

One thing to remember is that we all put or pants on the same way every morning --- one leg at a time. They may have what you consider success but they are still in the rooms dealing with the same disease. Who cares what they do or how much they have, man put that aside and go get your sobriety.

If their perceived status in life bother you then find another meeting there is no shame in that.

I will repeat what others have said is that usually the meetings i didn't like were offering me a very strong message about myself or something i needed to hear about getting sober.

be as open to their message and humanity as you would want them to be with yours.
Listen.... the message is being spoken.
It's hard to hear it sometimes above the din of our inner demons

1 - 13 of 13 Posts