V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, do you have a rear photo? And the bags look like they hang over the shock. Details please!!! I won't do the same bag,but I would like to know all the details. It looks good! I need a good spacious bag for traveling. But a stable one also. Since I've not seen a decent hard bag ,It looks like leather will be the way to go. What kind of hanger did you use? As you can tell,I'm impressed with them...TC

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Thanks for asking TC. Give me a little time and I will get back with you in great detail with photos and run down on the installation and revisions. Right now I'm just about working around the clock and only have time to do the basics,,,,, S,S,S, and post. LOL. I also would like to give an evaluation on a gift from Santa when I get the chance.

Later,
FifthGear:)

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
tc88 said:
Thanks Fifth......

Okay TC, I took some pictures but they came out kinda dark and smaller than I thought they would.

My bags are "Ironbags". The are fairly large for Dyna bags which is what I like. They require relocation of the turn signals but on my FXDS they already were on the rear fender. The kits to relocate them there are not very expensive though.

The bags are leather with a hard fiberglass(?) backing that is molded around the shocks. They have metal reinforcements in the lids between leather layers that keep them from sagging and semi-rigid. There are three holes for the fender strut mounts that will allow you to use the front one and either one of the rear holes. A threaded stud attaches with a nut on the inside of the fender. A hexagon threaded spacer is threaded on the outside stud threads. I chose not to use the spacer and used a standard nut. The bag then goes on the remaining stud length and is secured with washers and nuts on the inside of the bag. The front bottom of the bags have a hole in which a flat bar bracket attaches that bends around behind the shocks and attaches to the frame. I didn't use these because they interfered with the tool pouch on the right side. I think that the bags are well supported with the solid fender strut mounts but since my FXDS had threaded holes in the rear fender for the stock bags, I drilled a hole in the bags for mounting and used a bolt with stainless steel tubing as spacers in each bag, just for a little extra support.

I am very happy with the looks and function with these bags. I had also considered two other bags; Bossbags and Heritage Saddlebags. These two are also pretty large and well made bags. The Bossbags are extremely sturdy and have a lot of options including locks, studs, conchos, extra pouches, quick disconnects, and even detachable wheels so you can pull them through the airport! LOL. Yeah really!

I will try to put the pictures below.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
tc88 said:
And were they made just for the Dyna??? fxd.

TC, yes Ironbags are made specifically for each model that they fit. I don't remember the exact price but around $600. I really thought that with my stock quick detachable bags that I would not keep them on unless I was leaving town. Well, it seems that they never came off so I wanted some large solid mount bags instead of the throw-overs. With so much money already spent on my bike, I couldn't see having permanent $100 bags on it. LOL
The stock convertable bags were big and roomy too but they were nylon with leather flap covers. The black nylon faded to a light brown in way less than a year. I tried dying them a couple of times but it didn't last long. The salesman said that those HD bags listed for $795. So, I think the quality and style of the Ironbags were well worth the price in comparison.

This is the Ironbag site:
http://www.ironbags.com/

This is the Heritage bag site:
http://www.heritagesaddlebag.com/

This is the Bossbags site:
http://www.bossbags.com/

Later,

·
Registered
117 Posts
I will say that is the first Dyna I have seen with bags and a windshield that looks good. Fifthgear you got yourself a good looking scoot.:D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Thanx bub! I've always thought that if the after-market designers would put in same design effort for Dynas as they do for softails that we would have a lot of choices for a nice looking bike. But some things that look really cool just aren't made for dynas so we just have to live with what we can find, modify or make.

Hey Ralph, I still have the bags in the closet. If I had wanted a new set I did see a set on Ebay awhile back for two hundred dollars that were taken off while new. They would just turn ugly if left on permanent so I didn't buy them. For a comparison I'll post the old bag bike to compare with the one at the top of the page. The old ones really didn't look all that bag from the side.

Later,

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hay Fifth...The new ones look better,but the $200. sounds better. LOL. The old ones do look good. Were they all canvas? With real leather tops? Any way,I need to find somthing for the dyna. But $600. is hard to swallow right now. I need to do the air cleaner and rejet first. Ans probably a corbin low profile solo seat with a backrest....Ralph

·
Registered
380 Posts
the bags look good

Hey 5ht gear just to let you know i think you have an awsome DYNA and i love the simple and functional look of it . i also have a set of throw over iron bags. they are made in a little town about 30 miles from my house, they have a very small shop and all the bags are hand made. top quality stuff. good job on the bike.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Yeah Ralph, the original HD bag tops are real leather with a hard plastic formed back. Except for the nylon, they are a very good design and roomy.

Slamin Sammy, thanx for the compliment. I don't remember if you posted a picture of your bike. I love to see bike pictures. If you get the time, post one for us.

Later,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts