V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a '98 wide glide that is being built at the moment. I bought an arlen ness fiberglass heritage style fender. My question is, if i mounted a tombstone taillight would it crack from vibration and road conditions and When i drill the hole for the seat screw what should I use to secure the nut to the under side of the fender??? I'm clueless on body work but I'm trying to learn.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I had a Sumax Fiberglass rear fender on my Dyna for at least 6 years or more with no issues at all. I think it was just as strong as the steel fender it replaced in many regards. I used the following seat mounting kit on it. http://www.jpcycles.com/seat-accessories?Nao=30 Look at part # 8200045. I did purchase a heavy washer that I put on the underside of the fender behind the nut as an extra precaution. However, I don't believe it was even necessary now in hindsight. I rode two up on that fender many times and a few women who rode on the bike were not tiny ladies! No cracks, no flex no issues.

Hello all. I have a '98 wide glide that is being built at the moment. I bought an arlen ness fiberglass heritage style fender. My question is, if i mounted a tombstone taillight would it crack from vibration and road conditions and When i drill the hole for the seat screw what should I use to secure the nut to the under side of the fender??? I'm clueless on body work but I'm trying to learn.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I can't speak for the quality of Arlen Ness fenders, but I have done up a few Sumax and like Rick said, they were pretty durable. The composite that they uses is supposed to be more durable than glass even. I can say that I have worked with Bad Dad glass products too and they have been very high quality. So, more than likely you'll be fine!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, rickr01, the part i was gonna use is 8200095
on that page. but I think I like the other better. I was wondering if I should try to use resin on the underside along with the nuts/bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Thanks guys, rickr01, the part i was gonna use is 8200095
on that page. but I think I like the other better. I was wondering if I should try to use resin on the underside along with the nuts/bolts.
I think you will like the one I used. There is meat at the top and bottom and there is no need to slot the hole. You won't need resin and in fact I wouldn't use it in case you ever need to remove the mount. It uses a nyloc nut and is very sturdy. I liked the fact also that on the top side, the mount bolt part that actually goes through the hole in the fender has a nice flared out top that spreads beyond the hole in the fender. Makes for a nice clean and strong installation and also keeps the seat tab off the fender. Remember, the seat mount is basically just keeping the seat from sliding back or sideways. Not really much shear weight on it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts