V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '02 FSTX -- its my first bike and I am loving it -- I have been reading boards and asking my friends questions for the past few months so I am learning a little about the engine, power, etc. However, I have no idea how to fix the bike or install all but the most bolt on pieces and at this point really don't have the time/desire to learn -- just making that point because anything I do will be done at the dealer. I have the following questions:

1. I want to get the stage 1 kit, anyone know how much this should cost installed? I would do the kit suggested by nightrider which includes air cleaner, re-jet carb., ignition module/coil, spark plugs/wires.
2. Should I get the SE air cleaner or the S&S air cleaner?
3. What does this mean: (i) Stock Keihin CV* modified using a
DynoJet Re-calibration Kit Harley-Davidson Part Number 29045-97 and (ii) .045 Slow Jet Harley-Davidson Part Number 27170-89, In laymans terms I assume these just open up the carb to let more air in??
4. What do you think of the SE slip-ons? Do they give good sound?
5. I really like the looks of the Samson but am worried they are going to too loud because they are not baffeled -- is this true? I ride with guys with thunderheaders and VH and don't think their pipes are too loud, anyone with any thoughts on the sound of the samson Long Slasher and Rip Saws? I have not run into anyone with these pipes Also, I am looking for the real low sound -- any thoughts on Samson or other pipes -- and which of the 2 would give the better low sound?

I know this seems like a lot but I have about 100 other questions that I am holding back because I figure if I ask them now I won't get any responses -- real questions are cost of the Stage 1 w/ignition stuff, S&S or SE kit, SE slip-ons, and Samson pipe noise (level, tone)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
For the $$$ the S/E stage one is great but there slip ons are quiet. The aditonal air flow that the stage one alows means you need more gas. The dynojet kit (in a nutshell) uses a biger jet to alow more gas from the carb.
As for pipes the ski is the limmit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stickman,

1. Call several dealers and ask to give you an estimate. I personally don't have my bike yet.

2. I'm going for the S/E stage 1 air cleaner kit only because that is what my independent bike shop recommended.

3. The Dyno jet kit contains all the required parts to modify your carb to deliver more fuel to the added air drawn in caused by the less restrictive pipes, air cleaner, and back plate. I believe the slow jet also allows more fuel to be delivered during idle.

4. I also agree the S/E pipes are too quiet.

5. As far as sound of the pipes go. I personally love the sounds of the original Big Gun Ripsaws. These do not have baffles. But the new Big Guns II Ripsaws have full cover heat shields and baffles. But I've never had a chance to hear these. As far as "real low sound" the V&H Pro pipes were what I would describe as just that. But they are 2 into 1 pipes. Never heard the Long Slashers but believe the new style will have baffles. The old style might also since they are straight and one can slide baffles into the end. Bottom line is you've got to find them and hear them for yourself. What I think sounds great, you may think isn't. Also check out the exhaust forum. There has been some discussion about the ripsaws. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Other guys have answered some of your questions. You really don't need the ignition module, coil, plug wires. Save your money and use the stock stuff.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Stickman,

Good questions. Here's my suggestion to you:
Stay with the standard HD Stage 1 set-up, If the pipes are too quiet for you (and I don't think they will be) listen to others pipes and pick some free flowing ones you like.

Buy your SE air filter set-up and pipes on-line and install them yourself. Even the most mechanically challenged can put these on, or I'm sure you have a friend that would assist - these installs are easy, and you will save 20% on the purchase price and $60 per hour on labor. Heck this would easily pay for more expensive pipes.

Then a few dollars for jets and you're done.

You'll learn a lot by doing it with a freind and know your bike a lot better.

BTW - you don't need exotic mods to your carb to make it run like a dream, bump the low and high speed jets up a notch, and adjust the air bleed and I'll bet you'll be tickled pink.

Cold Rider

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally I agree with Cold Rider, buy your A/C and pipes on-line for a nice savings. They are not at all difficult to install, particularly if if you know of someone with previous experience.
I also agree with those who advise people to stay away from DynoJets, they only marginally help performance and decrease your gas mileage by 25% on the TC. They also do not include the slow jet in the kit.
The rejet job is actually straight forward enough most riders could do it fairly easily, though the service manual helps. Without even fully pulling the gas tank I removed the DynoJet parts and put the stock parts back in except for a new needle shim and a 48 slow jet. I'm not finished yet but have increased power, higher rpm, and 10 mpg better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Stickman,
I have a set of Samson Silver bullets on my 02 FLHT. Their load, but not too loud. Their sound is more like a bark when you put on some load.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Andrews 37g cams w/gear drive. Mikuni HSR 42, Ness big sucker air cleaner, D&D drag pipes $1,400. 86 HP 97 Torque. Oh yeah 2000 FXST.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts