V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my first HD (FLSTFI) and have a question. It came with an aftermarket seat that is very uncomfortable for my wife. When I took that seat off, I noticed there is a clear adhesive film on the fender, underneath the passenger section of the seat. I assume this is to protect the paint.

My question is this......A lot of times, I'll be running the bike with just a solo seat. The film looks pretty ugly with no passenger pad there. If I take the film off, will the paint get all scuffed up when I run a passenger pillion for when the wife rides with me?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Honkylips,

I wonder if this plastic is for protection during shipping and that they just forgot to take it off during set-up. My RK doesn't have it.

wyo

·
Registered
312 Posts
My heritage has it, and i have seen it on others. So i am sure it is supposed to me there. I would assume that scratches depended on the bottom of the seat you put on the fender. If i was swapping seats alot i would put felt or something on the bottom of the passenger seat. i run a 2up seats so i just left the film.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had it on my 2002 nightrain and peeled it off so I could run a solo Le Pera seat. Problem is that the paint now has marks on it from glue or other chemical interaction from the film. Also, the bolt under my softail standard seat had etched into the fender paint.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All softails come with from what I see. I repainted my bike and put it back on . I use throw over saddle bags and slide them in between the fender and seat. The palstic film saves the paint big time. Your call and I see what you mean with the solo seat. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
MIne has the film and when I run the solo I remove it, wax the fender and ya cant tell it was there.
Save the sticky film and re-use it when I go back with the pasenger seat.

Just stick it to a painted metal surface till you need it again.
I stick it to the side of the fridge in the garage, not kidding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts