V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started on the Fatboy fender for my FX last night .. some pics as to the progress . Saturday I'll start welding and hopefully by Sunday have it all leaded up.The LED taillight is frenched in about 3/4 of an inch. The taillight is a nice unit and has DOT reflective lens and has3 functions ,running ,Stop and if u want it will pulse three times when u hit the brake then go steady.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Lookin' good so far. Nice to see someone still practicing the lost art of leading. Just wondering where you got the tail light. I picked up a repop '39 Ford light for my rear custom fender project but the housing is too deep. Was about ready to abort and run a 'bee hive' unit.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taillight is a flush mount so it wouldnt be a problem for your install .. Sent ya all the details ..

I try to use only lead specially on bikes less of a tendancy to crack from vibration.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
looks great, but i thinks its crooked.....nah just kidding. I like the look of that. I think the leading is awesome. No one really has the knack for it nowadays. Everyone by me just buys bondo by the pallet. Post up some finished pics when its all painted......:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
looking good!

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts
Cutting steel

This may sound like a dumb question but... I'm not the brightest. And this will be my first time working with metal where the results need to be precise.

I just got my received my new rear fender (WCC Roller) and I need to modify it to fit my 02 FLSTFI. Basically i need to remove some material to make room for the ignition module.

What is the best way to accurately cut sheet metal (steel)? Should I use a torch, nibblers, shears, saw, angle-grinder, or a hamster with gold front teef?

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
fish-head said:
This may sound like a dumb question but... I'm not the brightest. And this will be my first time working with metal where the results need to be precise.

I just got my received my new rear fender (WCC Roller) and I need to modify it to fit my 02 FLSTFI. Basically i need to remove some material to make room for the ignition module.

What is the best way to accurately cut sheet metal (steel)? Should I use a torch, nibblers, shears, saw, angle-grinder, or a hamster with gold front teef?
I can't answer what tool to use to do the cutting but do have some other advice.
Put masking tape on the part and draw your lines on it. If you mess up you can replace the tape and do it over until you get the look you want.
You can also make a template on your existing fender and put it on the new fender to keep things equal.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
fish-head said:

I ordered a fender from WCC last September and have not heard anything from them yet. When did you order yours?

·
drinker of fine ales
273 Posts
First time? I'd use a dremel tool with a small cutoff blade. Mark it off with masking tape or magic marker and get after it.

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
I ended up getting my fender on Ebay as well. I bought the 4.75 inch Mama Jama fender. It cost me $5 more than buying it directly from WCC.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dremel with a metal cutting wheel will do . I used an air powered cut off tool. And cleaned with sheet metal snips .

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the fender based and cleared I always put down 2 coats of HS clear before doing my graffics.

Fender base lightly sanded because it had a blem in it then reshoot with black.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is after 12 hour dry at 70*. not color sanded or buffed .. Bills reflection is a little fuzzy in the pic because the camera focused on the real one.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Seems like a shame but I'll be sanding with 500 and then applying the Phantom flames . Doing a violet to red fading into blue green at the tips. This is with dry pearl added to intercoat clear as u move around the bikes the flames will appear and fade out. Then 2-3 coats of flow clear . If all goes well no color sanding .

Set up a small PVC framed with 6 mill plastic positive pressure spray booth in the detached garage with it vented and filtered to the outside . Air is supplied by a old HVAC blower from outside with a filter . Works very well as air is forced into the booth so if there is a leak it blows out instead of pulling in unfiltered air. I only do this for the finall coats so I get no boggers in the paint

1 - 20 of 31 Posts