V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here'a a knowledge test for everyone:

It appears that the front fender on a Heritage Softail is the same as the one used on a 1999 and newer touring Ultra / Classic.

The fender skirt on an Ultra / Classic is attached to the very bottom of the fender (hung)

The fender skirt on a Heritage is raised up so the bottom edge of the skirt is flush with the bottom edge of the front frnder.

Has anyone tried hanging a fender skirt from the "bottom" of a 2009 or newer Heritage like they do on the Ultra / Classic?

The reason why I'm asking is the 2009 and newer Heritage has a small chrome lip attached to the very bottom of the fender, which I don't like. Obviously, the mounting holes on a 2009 and newer Heritage are near the bottom of the fender like on Ultra / Classic.

It seems like it would be easy to mount a fender shirt on a 2009 and newer Heritage and use those lower existing holes (in addition to adding a few more holes) but I'm concerned that it might hang too low to the ground......or would it be the same distance to the ground as on an Ultra / Classic?

mmmmm..........

Any suggestions?

mark

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Heritage Softail fenders have a whole different bracket...and the width from center to center is about 1/4" or so different than touring fenders as well...

They don't interchange.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
This is off a touring model:

This is off a Heritage:

See how the bracket bumps out on the Touring. Only way to fit a Heritage would be with a spacer/adapter...which I believe HD sells if you want to sport a fat boy fender on your touring bike...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Heritage Softail fenders have a whole different bracket...and the width from center to center is about 1/4" or so different than touring fenders as well...

They don't interchange.
Yup - I'm aware of the mounting bracket differences between a Heritage and an Ultra / Classic......my original post didn't refer to the mounting brackets of the fender.

I'm referring to the bottom of the fender where the fender skirt attaches to the fender itself. I'm just wondering if an Ultra fender skirt can be mounted to a 2009 and newer Heritage front fender. (will it hang too low?)

A touring fender skirt can be mounted to Heritage fender - my concern was if the skirt could hang from the bottom of the fender like on an Ultra, as opposed to the bottom of the skirt being flush to the bottom of the fender like on a Heritage.

Is the length of the front fender different on a Heritage compared to an Ultra?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Oh the skirt - my mistake. I believe that a smooth style touring is the same length as the Heritage. The other type with fender tips and skirts on the touring are cut shorter. I would 'think' the skirts are interchangeable as the widths of the fenders (not brackets) are the same...

Thx Ahar!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh the skirt - my mistake. I believe that a smooth style touring is the same length as the Heritage. The other type with fender tips and skirts on the touring are cut shorter. I would 'think' the skirts are interchangeable as the widths of the fenders (not brackets) are the same...

Thx Ahar!
I'm trying to determine if I can attach the chrome skirt that I'm not using (from a 2007 Heritage) onto the fender of my 2012 Heritage.

The 2009 and newer Heritage has holes at the very bottom of the fender, like on an Ultra. The 2008 and older Heritage has fender skit holes approximately 4 inches up from the bottom of the fender, which essentially allows the skirt to mount directly over the fender, as opposed to an Ultra, which "hangs" the skirt from the fender.

My concern is that the fender skirt might hang too low if I use the existing holes on my 2012 Heritage - it seems that the rear of a Heritage front fender hangs a little lower to the ground when compared to an Ultra / Classic.

WOW - this is kinda' hard to put into words.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts