V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been lurking lately but haven't posted in quite some time.

The stock header pipes on my 97 King finally gave up. Basically they shattered like glass. So I finally have the push I needed to get the V&H 2-1. Since I'll only have a pipe on one side I want to move my license plate down under the left bag and clean up the rear fender. I also want to get rid of the U shaped bar that connects the two struts where the license plate now mounts. I've seen this done before and I know I can spend about 70 bucks on a kit to do it but I'm thinking there is a better way. Have any of you done it and if you did, how?

Also, if anyone is having trouble with their MM fuel injection and is thinking of converting to a carb, let me know. About a year ago I was searching for help on that subject and I got alot of people telling me not to do it and how much trouble and expense it was going to be. Well I did my research, bought my parts, spent a day wrenching and its the best mod I have made so far. If anyone is thinking of doing the same thing I'll be glad to help. Its easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tfetters said:
Hey all, been lurking lately but haven't posted in quite some time.

The stock header pipes on my 97 King finally gave up. Basically they shattered like glass. So I finally have the push I needed to get the V&H 2-1. Since I'll only have a pipe on one side I want to move my license plate down under the left bag and clean up the rear fender. I also want to get rid of the U shaped bar that connects the two struts where the license plate now mounts. I've seen this done before and I know I can spend about 70 bucks on a kit to do it but I'm thinking there is a better way. Have any of you done it and if you did, how?
I did it last year. Remove the bar and take a dutoff wheel or die grinder and cut out the end pieces with the threaded inserts and re install them. They will be hidden by the fender strut covers. I also removed the rubber bumper below the fender, **** canned the rubber insert, flipped it over and drilled 2 new holes to bolt it back to the lower saddlebad rails. I cut a backing plate from an old shovelhead oil tank cover I had and bolted it together and the plate is under the fender. If someone can tell me how to post pics I will post them, or send me an email and I will attach them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if this pic will post... This was a rough cut on the bar, I made a 2nd cut to remove just what was needed.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
heres how i did it...

I shitcanned EVERYTHING on the fender...bodyworked, primed, and painted...then installed a Pro-One lic. plate frame & tail light combo. Put LED turn signals between bags. Used carlini bumper eliminator to strengthen the lower bag supports...this is key to helping prevent future exhaust bracket and saddlebag support breakage. The tail light assy. was fairly reasonable and really bright. Hope this helps...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
What about solid chrome fender tip? The rubber on mine cracked crappy looking. Don't want a big Harley emblem though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts