V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
:hmmm: So if you can get the dealership to change out this #8 injectors to the #25 injectors, would this help out with the 06 models small injectors? or are this pretty much the same size with more spray holes, 3 verses 6?

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i wonder what the new ecm calibration consists of, you think it is the stage 1? sounds like a free upgrade for my stock ecm. i guess i will have to dig it out of tyhe toolbox and drive to the dealer!:brows:

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
I had this done back in September - mine was one of the first ones..they wanted my ECM sent back to them for reprogramming...I guess they have a download, now.

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
203 Posts
a bike coming from the factory after this should allready have this right? my ultra comes in end of march first of april...wonder if this will be something mine will have taken care of at factory?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
"Additionally, Harley Davidson will provide for the installation of 25 degree angle cone spray fuel injectors on those motorcycles where use of the 8 degree fuel injectors (part number 27625-06) is determined to be directly responsible for cold start and/or driveability problems."

Could someone describe what these problems might be, so I can tell if I qualify. Thanks...

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Called and talked to my local dealer today. They didnt know what I was talking about at first. The guy I was talking to said they would have to order the new injectors. I have a appointment for the 1st of march to change them out.

I hope this is the cure for mine, I thought it might be something else. First thing in the morning, I have to twist the throttle once or twice to get it to start and a couple of times I had it die on me as I start to take off. It also feels like the bike is flat till some heat start building up to around 140-160, Ive be monitoring this for a couple of mths now. Once the bike is warmed up, it runs fine.

Anyone notice this in the bikes?

Tim

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Called my dealer today too to find out some more info on it. They hadn't heard of the bulletin but knew about the problem. They said they had "figured it out" after they had dyno'ing a bunch of '06's (they have a dyno on site) and the bikes would still be running lean with the fuel mixture maxed out on the SERT. They said they have been putting in larger injectors for a while, which cleaned up the problem.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Something doesn't seem to add up on this. Why do only some of the 06's have problems? And if it was defective injectors, why not replace them with new 8 degree ones? My 06 starts and runs fine and I did not have to add more fuel than normal based on my DFO settings. My bike was made in 12/05, so I assume it does not have the new injectors.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I am definatly going to ask about this as every now and then my 06 Deluxe semms to skip a beat while riding. It is like a cylinder misses fire, and I have had to start it multiple time when cold before it would catch. To be honest I really have not thought much of the cold starting (although the miss-fire has bothered me) as I have never owned a Harley so I do not know what "normal" is, but if this indicative of a problem that Harley is aware of then I will definatly have them look into it. Thanks for posting the notice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Will these new injectors = more power?

Being new to injection, was wondering that since the 25* has more orafices :whistle: does this equate to more fuel and more power for the bike?

thanks,
Jimmy

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Fuel pressure is one variable that can cause the issue, when testing fuel psi regulators I have seen that almost all are in spec but with a range of psi having one bike with small injectors and fuel psi at the low spec will only aggravate this problem. I would say that is why some have the problem and others do not.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
In the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, the 25
° angle cone spray fuel injectors used on CVO 103 cu. in.
(1690cc) motors will be installed on all production Big Twins
beginning on or around February 13, 2006.

·
~~Finder Of Paths ~~
203 Posts
MegaGlide said:
installed on all production Big Twins
beginning on or around February 13, 2006.
thanks for pointing that out to me MegaGlide missed it when I read through it the first time.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I just came back from Harley Davidson of North Texas and they are ordering the injectors for both my fathers 06 Fat Boy and my 06 Deluxe. We have both experienced some cold start hesitation, but niether of us knew if it was just a normal occurance or not. The service department was unaware of the bulletin until we showed it to them, but they were able to look it up and were very helpfull about it. The new injectors are not in Texas yet, but they are going to give us a call when they come in so that we may set up an appointment to have them replaced.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I see and out for the MOTCO.

"Engine is configured correctly (with the appropriate air cleaner and exhaust)."

How many of us are running stock exhaust and air cleaners? Also if we are running a SERT you will not want there flash upgrade.
So all us with 95", 98" or what ever mods that would benefit from larger injectors. I see a way to be denied.

What is the flow rate for the new injector? For thoose of us with SERT's, injector constant will need updated.
If dealer installs new injectors and no flash MOTCO flags will go up!!! :nono:

So I will most likely buy injectors myself.

EFI guru's: I am ready to tune my bike, if I tune with small injectors then update later to larger injectors. Then change flow constant for injectors does the tune compensate for larger injector flow? Will I have to tune again? :hmmm:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Huh!!! this is interesting. I have a 06 FLHXI with only 100 miles
Not sure about the hesitation or cold starting yet since I have only
rode 3 times. Its about 38 out today. maybe go and start it to
see? Really hasn't been warm enough for me to ride alot here in Maryland.
Wonder if the dealer/stealer will replace the injectors!!!????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the bulletin vb.:beer:

My new FLHT is bone stock from the factory. I'll approach my dealer and see what they think about the situation. Maybe this will cure my hot running, no idle problems.

coal_man

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've talked to the head of the powertrain division at Harley and was assured that you'd lose 10mpg upgrading to the cvo injectors (this was prior to the bulletin). I explained how this was the only way we had found to get around the runability problems with the 06 models. I'm sure that's why the injectors are accompanied with a new download.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts