V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being late fall here, I live in absolute fear of wet leaves. Anyone else ever do a leaf slide? It is almost worse than ice since you do not expect leaves to be so slippery.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
It doesn't help when people blow them out of the yard onto the road and there are not a lot of trees around. and yes they can be worse than ice

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yep....one of the lessons you don't learn in the MSC is the one about leaves. Turned onto a side road back when I had the sporty....didn't give the leaves a second thought... I think the back tired slipped about 6 inches to the right....(felt more like 6 feet). Now.....it's putt putt when I take a turn and I see leaves on the road...........Ride safe........

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
They can be awful. I really hate when people think the road is the place to blow them. I would like to be able to back up and blow them back on their yards

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
kinneydr54 said:
They can be awful. I really hate when people think the road is the place to blow them. I would like to be able to back up and blow them back on their yards

Then burn them

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I hate when I jump into a pile of leaves and someone left the rake on the bottom.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I hate when I jump in a pile of leaves that also has raked dogsh!t in it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I deal with leave in my driveway daily in season. A day like today is a treat. 11% slope with a curve. 80% wet leaf cover when I get home. I get used to it.
On a nice dry day if the situation allows I will slow down by a guy raking into the street and use my LSR with a 45 degree down turnout to blow some of them back. It makes me feel better even if it pisses the raker off.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Had my 12st HD less then 2 months, came around a corner, 90 degree turn, maybe little fast, but not awful. Someone had swept tree droppings, not leaves or the helicopter things into the road. Threw me off the bike.

Got cars backed up behindme at the stop light. Bike wouldn't start. Finally got it to go.

I never knew if I could pick it up, but when you got aline f cars behind you, and you feel like a dumb ass, you whip it up.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
kinneydr54 said:
Glad you did't get hurt. It is amazing how quick you can do things when you feel like a dumbass
Its amazing how strong you are, when people are watching.
Glad I remembered to put the kickstand down first.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Yeah, leaf piles are a threat in the fall, and piles of sand are more of a threat in the spring. Any way you slice it, I'm pretty much the proverbial old lady from Pasadena when making turns in residential areas in the "shoulder" seasons. First gear. Slow turns.

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Yep, they're bad..we have lots of fir needles. In the spring, the bad things are cherry blossoms and rain.... OH, now that's an ICY road!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I watched my friend lose his sporty years back on wet leaves, it left an impression on me and lots of scrapes and dings on the sporty! (the sparks were cool though), like mad city said, like a little ole lady this time of year in residential areas.

·
Registered
121 Posts
winston1156 said:
Being late fall here, I live in absolute fear of wet leaves. Anyone else ever do a leaf slide? It is almost worse than ice since you do not expect leaves to be so slippery.

Anyone who rides on Stock Harley Davidson Dunlop tires
or Dunlop E3's or pretty well any other stock OEM tire from the
factory must live in total fear of:

#1 Rain wet painted lines

#2 Rain wet rail road tracks

#3 Sand,Gravel,salt,cut grass,twigs and other stuff in corners

#4 Wet leaves in corners or anywhere on roads for that matter

#5 Rain wet roads in general

People who ride on properly inflated Avons,Metzelers or Michelins
in good condition need not ride in fear of anything other then the
lack of their own riding skillz!

Give a real tire a try my friend and see if you stop having fear of
leaves as well as just about anything else you might find on the
roads.

Good Luck and ride safe...

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I'm scared of the dark. And, Rosie O'Donnell.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
211 Chuck said:
Anyone who rides on Stock Harley Davidson Dunlop tires
or Dunlop E3's or pretty well any other stock OEM tire from the
factory must live in total fear of:

#1 Rain wet painted lines

#2 Rain wet rail road tracks

#3 Sand,Gravel,salt,cut grass,twigs and other stuff in corners

#4 Wet leaves in corners or anywhere on roads for that matter

#5 Rain wet roads in general