V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new owner I'm confused not that anyone should be suprised!

I have read my owners manual for the 10th time and I'm not sure if my rear shocks on my Dyna Low Rider are adjustable. It talks about adjustment but I'm not sure if it is talking about another Dyna model I'm planning a trip to the dealer this weekend and was going to find out there but I thought I present the question to the forum.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Ray

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
I have an 02 FXDL and was confused also. They are not adjustable on the Low Rider. I believe the other Dyna's are spring load adjustable. I have found that two up riding on the Low Rider will bottom out occasionally. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dawg

Thanks for the info. I guess I assumed that. I plan to do much of my riding with my other half but she is only 115 lbs so I guess we'll deal with a couple of bumps in the road

Thanks again

Ray

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ray & Dawg,
The FXDL shocks are adjustable. You need a spanner wrench to do it (you can buy one from your dealer if you like). You turn the bottom part of the shock (the part with the holes that go all the way around) to increase the spring (coil) tension.
I had to go 2 "clicks" on mine for riding two-up.
Hope this helps

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
I will look again. I thought the adjustable shocks were similar to what is on my Rice Burner. It has a graduated piece that rides up on a peg to stiffen or loosen the shock spring. Thanks for correcting me on this.....my wife will be eternally grateful the next time we cross some Railroad Tracks with a little too much speed.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news - maybe I won't be having so many bumps in the road. I'll check out the wrench when I go to the dealer this weekend

Thanks Flash

Ray

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a Sportster that I had to adjust the shocks on before I got my FXDL. The shocks on the FXDL are basically the same thing.
Before I adjusted mine, I felt it bottom out a couple of times after crossing railroad tracks, hitting bumps, etc. I go about 230, and the wife is just under 140. 2 "clicks" solved the problem. Now it would take a pretty good jolt to bottom out.
I don't remember which direction to adjust, so you will have to ask or experiment.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
If you look under the bottom chrome collar you will see the notches that the stop rests on for adjustment. The higher notches will decrease the spring tension for a softer ride and the lower ones will increase it for more load carrying. You need to adjust to two notches below the one it is on it sounds like to me.

Later,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts