V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...picked up my '99 Fatboy today and was able to ride it home just before the rain drops fell. For the 20 minutes I was able to ride, I was happy happy. I'm not new to bikes, but I am new to Harley's. I was a bit surprised that at 60mph it seemed like the engine was lugging in top gear. Normal? Is top gear on this baby reserved for 65+mph? Maybe I'm being to anal, but I really want to take care of this bike as best I can and don't want to be harming the motor in anyway. Any thoughts?

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Thats an EVO right? I cant remember what year they changed Softails over.

By no means is 60 lugging. On my EVO I can go 45 in top gear and that will lug if going up a hill a little bit.

On the 06, I seem to be in top gear faster, but still not lugging at all.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I have a tach, so to keep it over 2k, shift at 20, 30, 40, 50. Thats a general safe place to go to the next gear. In School zones, at 15, I keep it in 2nd, and use the clutch in and out to maintain speed, or just keep it in first and keep the revs up depending on the engine warm up.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I would think your all right. I was surpised at how much I was shifting way to quick. Going from *** to HD is you may be used to shifting on sound. Harleys are loud get used to it. I have never even hit my rev limiter. IMO you will be surprised how much you can wind the bike up and still not be that high. I don't have a tach. But like I said I have never hit the limiter.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Good point about the sound...stock 06 sounds different and thats what I shift by. I am often searching for another gear because of its different sound.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
racerjay said:
Okay...picked up my '99 Fatboy today and was able to ride it home just before the rain drops fell. For the 20 minutes I was able to ride, I was happy happy. I'm not new to bikes, but I am new to Harley's. I was a bit surprised that at 60mph it seemed like the engine was lugging in top gear. Normal? Is top gear on this baby reserved for 65+mph? Maybe I'm being to anal, but I really want to take care of this bike as best I can and don't want to be harming the motor in anyway. Any thoughts?
No reason to be in 5th at 60

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
racerjay said:
I usually reserve 5th gear for 60+. I've never had any lugging issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the information I was looking for. I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions as time passes. Hey, somebody has to ask them right? :thumbsup: Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wrap my twin cam up to 3000rpm before every shift. I'd guess high 20s, 30s, 40s, etc... Is there any harm in this? I like to hear my motor talk to me and didn't think this was too much.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
fatboy66 said:
I wrap my twin cam up to 3000rpm before every shift. I'd guess high 20s, 30s, 40s, etc... Is there any harm in this? I like to hear my motor talk to me and didn't think this was too much.
Contrary to what some believe...the twin cam likes the higher rpms. You are not hurting a thing. Your gas mileage may suffer a little but who cares.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know I kind of thought the same thing here, it just feels like the bike is geared really high. Cruising in 4th at sixty doesn't feel bad at all and for the most part I rarely get out of 3rd while riding around town, hell, I think I could cruise in 2nd for that matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts