V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1612 Posts

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the Deuce thread and thought a Fatboy thread was in need. So, to start off, tell us your thoughts, show us your pictures, tell us about new products, etc. for the Fatboy.

I realize, probably everyone here knows what my bike looks like, so I won't post a pic yet. At least until it's done. ;)

For those who are thinking about getting a Fatboy, get one. It's one of the most versital bikes Harley has ever made.

Another thing, since this is the 15th Anniversary of the Fatboy, what are your thought on the bike? What do you like and dislike about the bike?

Let the discussion begin...

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Even though I've since moved on to a Road King Custom, I still think it's the best looking Harley made today.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Couple shots of my 04.
I like the fact that Harley is doing a little to keep up with the CC's war with this new Fat Boy and Im glad they picked my fav to do it with.

I love the versitility of the bike and the fact that it can go from city cruiser to tourer in a matter of a few minutes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Octain said:
I love the versitility of the bike and the fact that it can go from city cruiser to tourer in a matter of a few minutes.
Octain,
what hardware are you using to make you saddlebags and backrest detachable. It looks like you did not have to relocate the rear turn signals. Thats exactly the type of set up I am looking for.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Rich,
I did have to relocate the signals, had to with the detachable backrest. Easy nuff though.
Did a home made thing for the bags. Was gonna go with the bare backs but couldnt see spending the coin when what I did is just as good if not better. But a wrench is required to remove, still easy though and the strut studs look pretty cool when the bags arent in use.

Just used a threaded stud with a chrome nut and a chrome spacer when the bags arent in use.

Maybe this will give you the idea as its a bit hard to explain.
If you have anymore questions let me know.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Octain,

Looks like you:

replaced the stock bolt for the detachable sissy bar with a stud.

then slipped a chrome spacer over the stud , with washer.

then topped it off with a acorn nut.

also looks like a locknut between the spacer and the docking points for the sissy bar.

Nice Job!!

vafatboy

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh yeah, the detachable backreast and docking kit is available at your local dealer. You gotta want it though, not cheap but thats the only way I know of to get want you want. And if your anything like me I wouldnt have it any other way.

I think the kit with everything I needed including the quick detach docking kit and the signal relocation kit was just under 300 bux and that was on a 20% off day at my dealer. And that was with a cheapy pad. I later bought a better one on ebay.

There is however a dealer in MO that sells accessories 20% everyday but Im not sure if the shipping rate would cancel out the savings.

Keep me posted dude, I'll help ya out any way I can.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Vita,
Your almost right on but I didnt use a washer anywhere. I wanted the stuff to be as close as possable as not to have a gap between the bags and the docking harware.
I also tapered the openings in the spacers and the mounting points of the bags to kinda cover the locknut a bit and give a more thighter(<---is that a word?) fit. The spacers and the bag mounting points have to be the same length.
Picked up everything at the local ACE harware for about 30 bux.
Not including that damn drill bit of course.

Heres a shot of the spacers, I did the mounting points on the bags the same way.

Thanks for the comps!!
Some say I think too much, lol.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Octain, you're bike is just the look I want to have. Do you have to drop the rear wheel to do the signal relocation? What kind of bags are those?

Lefty

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Love the Fatty...big FL forks, solid disk wheels, great fender lines, the mechanical beauty of the softail frame. What's not to like?

I'm ridin a FXSTB but if I had any other HD it would be a Fatty.

I don't care for the 15th Anniversary bike...don't like the painted oil tank, tank decal or silver engine. Not to mention the anemic 95" engine. Might as well get a normal Fatty and do the engine up right. Oh...and I love the black.

My fav Fatboy is attached...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Lefty said:
<<<<Octain, you're bike is just the look I want to have. Do you have to drop the rear wheel to do the signal relocation?>>>>

Heck no!!
But the fender rails/struts do have to be removed. Easy nuff.

<<<<<What kind of bags are those?>>>>

I think Harley calls em 'Harness bags'
I got really lucky on those and snagged em from a dude on ebay(new) for $214.50 including shipping
--------------------------------------

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stratplexi said:
Can you please share some info on the leather bag attached to the swingarm?

Thanks

Stratplexi,
The bag is a sissy bar bag that I made a bracket for. The bracket is real similar to a tool bag bracket and mounts the same way, under the fender strut and to the footpeg hole. Works great for glasses and stuff you need to get to quickly. I have even pulled stuff out while going down the road although I would not recommend that.

1 - 20 of 1612 Posts