V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has an '02 Fatboy. Yesterday he and his brother were going to change oils (1000 mile change), but ran into a problem.
They say there are 2 drain plugs for the oil? They got the first out, no problem. They could not remove the second plug! They even tried heating it up in case it was Loctited, but no luck.
They didn't want to force things anymore, so they backed off. My buddy is going to take the bike back to the Dealership to get them to remove this second plug.
Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions I can pass along?
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Have an ideal that the factory might have torqued it a little too tight. There is another post where a user is having a simular problem!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sounds like they are fu(king up big time.

On that bike the engine oil drainplug is on the right frame rail. If you try to take any plug out of the cases odds are you will break them.

The drain plug for the gearbox is between the shocks.

They look the same a 5/8 hex with an allen option in the center of them, the Allen is useful to start the plug for the gearbox when putting it back.

The drain for the primary is the 40Torx.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hippo,
Sounds like it to me, too! I haven't had a chance to see what they're talking about (I'm at work for a couple more hours), but something don't sound right.
I know my buddy has an owner's manual, but he doesn't have a service manual (I tried to tell him!), so maybe he'll let me take a look at it this evening.
His brother has a new '02 Fatboy as well (his '01 Fatboy got totalled a couple of months ago) , so you would think he'd know what was going on, but I guess his last bike only had 1 drain plug.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The pic in the FM is the same as the pic in the Owners Manual, as far as drainplug location. 01 and 02 Fatboys are the same in this respect.

They are hard to see and to some degree you have to go by feel, easiest way is to identify the drainplugs by look or feel as they are quite unique, they are the only bolts on the bike that look like this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

I think the dealership had to put my buddy on hold until they could stop laughing long enough to tell them where the drain plug was.
He brought the bike over to my house last night, and I changed the oil for him. Showed him where the plug was, and also the plug for the tranny. This weekend I'll help him change the tranny and primary oils, and a few other regular maintenance items. I would rather help him than see him mess up the bike he's saved and waited for all this time.
Hippo, thanks again for your wisdom.

Later,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No harm, no foul. Everyone learns eventually and then they are ahead of the game.

Tell him to go to the dealer and lay 500 bucks on the service counter, after they quit wondering what's up, pick them back up and laugh your ass off and walk out. The guy asking might be the same one that laughed on the phone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhh....

Didn't get the "sh*ttiest part of the oil" thing for a second...
Yes, the filter was changed along with the oil. We even put some fresh oil on the gasket of the new filter and put a couple of ounces of oil in the filter before we installed it and only hand-tightened it (went about 1/2 turn past gasket seat).
Geez, I'm not a moron, I was just helping out a friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.