V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got a question about replacing the front fork cover (chrome panel on the forks behind the headlight). It seems you have to pull the headlight wires through the old panel in order to remove the panel. However, you can't pull the wires out from the headlight bucket because of the quick connect connector. Also, you can't disconnect the headlight wires from the rest of the wiring harness because that quick connect appears to be under the tank.

So, what's the way to do this? Cut and resplice the wires somewhere? Pull the tank to get to the quick connect? There's gotta be a simpler way that I'm overlooking.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Remove the headlight wires from the connector, then pull them thru the old panel.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed Y said:
Remove the headlight wires from the connector, then pull them thru the old panel.
Even if you do that, there is a hard plastic grommet in the headlight bucket that won't allow the wires to pull through. The grommet doesn't seem like it can just pop in and out of place like a regular old rubber grommet would. I think I may have to pull the tanks to get to the plug-in connector for the headlamp wires.:mad:

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
What I did Was..

pull the gas tank, that was the only way to get to the connector unplug the connector the black clips that hold the harness are easily undone and go back together very nice. That what I was thinking to was splicing the wires but that is kinda half assed I am glad I pulled the connector. Hey Honkeylips I got the bars on and am now in the process of shortening the cables and brake line hose, you don't have any part#s on yours do you?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What I did Was..

Jshuster said:
pull the gas tank, that was the only way to get to the connector unplug the connector the black clips that hold the harness are easily undone and go back together very nice. That what I was thinking to was splicing the wires but that is kinda half assed I am glad I pulled the connector. Hey Honkeylips I got the bars on and am now in the process of shortening the cables and brake line hose, you don't have any part#s on yours do you?
Sorry, no part #'s. They were put on by the previous owner. Be sure and post a pic of yours when you're done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts