V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look at all the cool looking bikes (to me) and they have fat front tires. You know, the bobbed style. American Iron Magazine features an article in the March issue of a green, replica US ARMY bobber. It has a nice fat front tire. Nearly as fat as the back. I was wondering why the design of the Soprtster is to use a tall skinny tire in front. Also, what is to be considered when adding a fatter tire up front? :whistle:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Great post and great question. I love the fat tire up front. Exile cycles incorporates this into many of their designs. I am interested in what others have to say on this matter.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I also like this look, not a fan of the stretched out custom bikes. I saw one at the xlforum recently that looked great.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coconl said:
The 1200L 06 has a fat tire on a mag rim.I like it because it's a tubeless tire and easier to fix a flat.
I think its the same size as last years XL model. Im talking FAT! There must be some guide lines per the stock rim, 100/90-19 57H, as to the range of tire sizes suitable. And Id like to know what the fatest tire on any wheel that would safely fit on the XL. Or where to find the info or insight

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I think its the same size as last years XL model. Im talking FAT! There must be some guide lines per the stock rim, 100/90-19 57H, as to the range of tire sizes suitable. And Id like to know what the fatest tire on any wheel that would safely fit on the XL. Or where to find the info or insight
If you check on Metzlers site, they have an upgrade guide in pdf format which lists wheel width compatibilites along with upgrade sizes with and without modifications for all HD bikes.

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
I have a sporty with the Fat up front. In my case I took two of the FXR 16" 9 spoke cast HD wheel, and stuck 16" tires on both the front and the rear. Mind you I also have Arlen Ness' wide glide conversion and their Taildragger fenders, both front and rear. It makes the bike look a lot heftier? (Is there such a word as heftier?) I think you know what I mean. Without the wide glide, the 16" wouldn't fit up there.
Wes.

·
Young Harley Rider
550 Posts
It all depends on what you want to run up front.
The Sportster run a Narrow Glide front, so anything from the FXDX will fit. Now if i am not mistaken they where shipped with 110's in the front sitting on a 2.5in rim. Now you can get a 2.5 in rim and run a 110 or even better, get a 3in rim and run a 120mm.
Just make sure it fits a narrow glide front and your good.
I am looking at running a 110/120 mm on a 3in rim for my softail.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cool looking ride, Bobbo

·
Known Associate
175 Posts
BobboJamma;
Where'd you get the fork brace?
Since I went with the Ness wideglide conversion, I haven't been able to find one that fits the wide glide and 39mm forks.
Thanks, Wes.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Mad Dog said:
I have a sporty with the Fat up front. In my case I took two of the FXR 16" 9 spoke cast HD wheel, and stuck 16" tires on both the front and the rear. Mind you I also have Arlen Ness' wide glide conversion and their Taildragger fenders, both front and rear. It makes the bike look a lot heftier? (Is there such a word as heftier?) I think you know what I mean. Without the wide glide, the 16" wouldn't fit up there.
Wes.

Nice look. Great look for a sporty. I want one now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts