V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put a new front end on their Dyna? I love my Dyna but could do without the skinny Sportster front end. There are several "Fat Forks" online but I have no experience. Any comments or stories? Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cadiero said:
You can get a wide glide front end from HD for $699. Can't beat the price.
Or you can get just the triple trees by themselves. Both will really make it look nicer
Actually, that's a great price. Can you put on a smaller wheel like 16" instead of the 21" that comes stock on the WG? I was looking for the really FAT front end look on my FXDL. I know the spacing on a WG front end is wide enough to fit a Fat Boy fender.

Tim

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm not sure, I would think with the right amount of work you could do about anything.

As long as the wheel bearings are the same the wheel would work. The only other thing you would need to do is make sure the brake caliper and rotor would line up. Not sure what to do there. Maybe the dealer would have these answers.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Cadiero said:
You can get a wide glide front end from HD for $699. Can't beat the price.
Or you can get just the triple trees by themselves. Both will really make it look nicer
Is there a P/N for the assembly or do you have to piece meal it together?

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Assy P/N ?

Gulfstream said:
Is there a P/N for the assembly or do you have to piece meal it together?
Well??????

·
Registered
454 Posts
P/n

The wideglide front end is in the HD P&A catalog in the Dyna section. It's right next to the FXDX front end in the catalog.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
The wideglide front end is in the HD P&A catalog in the Dyna section. It's right next to the FXDX front end in the catalog.
Thanks Orange, probably skipped right over it a hundred times...P/N 45371-00 MSRP $699.95, can probably be had for around $550 at one of the discount dealers...this is quite a bargain. I wonder if the stock 19" wheel would look okay with this or would you need the 21"?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Heres you a shot of my Low Rider with a different front end. It's called the "Big Un" and is put out by Mid USA. I have since put the bike back to stock since my wife started riding. She decided she would rather ride the LR than a Wide Glide we bought for her.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Country Bumpkin said:
Heres you a shot of my Low Rider with a different front end. It's called the "Big Un" and is put out by Mid USA. I have since put the bike back to stock since my wife started riding. She decided she would rather ride the LR than a Wide Glide we bought for her.
Is it for sale now?:brows:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Country Bumpkin said:
I looked at that front end. Very nice on the bike. That is the only thing I dislike on the Dyna is that skinny front end. Yours looks great. Now if we can only get some tin for the headlight.

Tim

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
Country Bumpkin, how did the bike handle with the heavier fork set-up compared to to the stock front end?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The front end performed well. The only problem I had was the rake. I should have bought a "0" degree rake front end. Instead I went with a "3" degree rake which made the front end want to fall off at low speeds. That is one of the reasons I took it off when my wife decided she wanted the bike. For a seasoned rider it was not difficult to control but for a novice like my wife I knew she would have her hands full. High speed handling was just as good as stock.

I liked the front end and the quality was very good. Had many compliments on it during the year I had it installed.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
cs1 said:
Actually, that's a great price. Can you put on a smaller wheel like 16" instead of the 21" that comes stock on the WG? I was looking for the really FAT front end look on my FXDL. I know the spacing on a WG front end is wide enough to fit a Fat Boy fender.

Tim

CS1,

I did that on my Wide Glide. It was just a matter of spacing. The Fatboy or full FL fenders just bolt right in. You just need 1/8" spacers since the Wide Glide front end is actually a little bigger than the FL. The only pain was I got different year rims than my bike and they needed new axle hubs. On the other hand, I got the rims cheap on eBay, so I think I still ended up ahead.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lunker said:
CS1,

I did that on my Wide Glide. It was just a matter of spacing. The Fatboy or full FL fenders just bolt right in. You just need 1/8" spacers since the Wide Glide front end is actually a little bigger than the FL. The only pain was I got different year rims than my bike and they needed new axle hubs. On the other hand, I got the rims cheap on eBay, so I think I still ended up ahead.
The fat fork and 16" front tire gives a Dyna a real muscular look. That is why those 2006 Bob's look so good.

Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
did that 'big un' front end bolt right on ? ANy mods necessary?

what year is the lowrider? thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
haksaw88 said:
did that 'big un' front end bolt right on ? ANy mods necessary?

what year is the lowrider? thanks

Yeah......... it bolts right on. The stock fork stop had to be removed and redone and if you want your fork lock to work, you will have to do some machining on the neck.

My Low Rider is an 04'.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts