V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,
Just found this forum the other day. Have already found answers to several of my question but haven't seen this one. So am seeking Scooter wisdom that appears abundant here.
Has anyone had any experience with HD's Fat Boy Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat? I want to replace the stock seat on my 2000 Fatty. I am tired of getting a numb butt after just 30 minutes of riding and of wife's constant wiggling trying to get comfortable. She also has problem with sliding forward every time I brake or hit a bump. I like the fact that the Fat Boy Sundowner has the look of the stock seat, but want to know if it really helps in on long rides. I am also looking at Mustang’s Original Studded Seat and the Mustang Studded Superwide Touring seat. Looks like the Touring seat maybe a little too wide.
I also need to install passenger floorboard. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Fatboy Sam.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was going to post the same question but in addition to the Sundowner seat, does anyone have any experience with the Fatboy Seat with Rider Backrest?

I was at a dealer yesterday and sat on a Sundowner seat that was on a springer... While it provided the rider with a little more back support, it didn't really give enough (at least it didn't hit me in the right spot (5' 11" - 250 LBS).

·
Registered
755 Posts
shl56 said:
Morning all,
Just found this forum the other day. Have already found answers to several of my question but haven't seen this one. So am seeking Scooter wisdom that appears abundant here.
Has anyone had any experience with HD's Fat Boy Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat? I want to replace the stock seat on my 2000 Fatty. I am tired of getting a numb butt after just 30 minutes of riding and of wife's constant wiggling trying to get comfortable. She also has problem with sliding forward every time I brake or hit a bump. I like the fact that the Fat Boy Sundowner has the look of the stock seat, but want to know if it really helps in on long rides. I am also looking at Mustang’s Original Studded Seat and the Mustang Studded Superwide Touring seat. Looks like the Touring seat maybe a little too wide.
I also need to install passenger floorboard. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Fatboy Sam.
don't know your size. i'm 5'11", 210 lbs, 2004 fatboy. in my opinion, for the passenger, the sundowner is pretty damn good. as a driver, i didn't like mine, so i sold it. for me it was maybe only a little better than the stock seat for the driver. also, it sets you up higher and more forward. also, i didn't think that it looked good on the bike...too bulky.

after spending about a thousand dollars on seats, i still haven't found a single fatboy seat that is comfortable for both driver and passenger...and still looks o.k. i'm very happy with my current seat. it is harley part# 52850-00. it's only good for the driver. passenger won't be happy. it looks good too. it does put me forward and down a bit.

would like to try a saddleman explorer seat.

·
Registered
755 Posts
03fatty said:
I was going to post the same question but in addition to the Sundowner seat, does anyone have any experience with the Fatboy Seat with Rider Backrest?

I was at a dealer yesterday and sat on a Sundowner seat that was on a springer... While it provided the rider with a little more back support, it didn't really give enough (at least it didn't hit me in the right spot (5' 11" - 250 LBS).
you might want to try this: harley part# 52850-00. it is my favorite so far for the driver only. won't be good for a passenger. see my other post in this thread.

·
Living life everyday!
53 Posts
He all....

Glad to see a post about this. I got an '04 Fatty and was thinking bout replacing my stock seat. Thinking bout the Le Pera Maverick or the Corbin Dual Tour seat. Course..... I'm still open for other recommendations to keep my "rear side" comfy while riding.

BTW... 6'-0", 215lbs. (if that helps much).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sundowner seat is good.

I owned an '04 Dyna Super Glide and put 18,000 miles on it before trading up to an '06 Ultra Classic. I replaced the stock Dyna seat with the Sundowner deep bucket and I could ride all day with comfort. My wife also liked the Sundowner much better because it had more padding and was wider than the stock seat. The price is also reasonable when compared with the after market seats. BTW, a good backrest and floorboards improved my wife's ride tremendously. For reference, I am 5'11" and weigh 230.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had Sundowners for most of my Harley's and they do provide all day comfort for me. they do sit you up and forward quite a bit. I just ordered a Corbin Dual Tour for my 06 Road King last week, the reason being the Sundowner does look a little bulky for me and I'm pretty sure the Corbin will wear much better over the years, the Sundowner is a-lot less expensive, but after a couple thousand miles the cheaper foam will slowly begin to compact and after 10k miles the seat will begin to get less and less comfortable over time, this is when having a better quality seat begins to pay off.

If you like the look of the sundowner I would say go for it, its a comfortacle seat and you can buy 3 of them for the price of a corbin.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
To answer your questions about passenger footboards. They work better, but if you have the factory shotgun exhaust, its going to be hard to get the right solution.

The problem is the clearance in that area. On the older fatboys the upper arm had an offset too far for the bolt. A trip to the hardware store will find a 3 or 4 inch 3/4" bolt with 3 nuts. Some Locktite and you can make it work without the right side bracket.

I ended up cutting off the offset and using the bracket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a sundowner on an 06 SEFB. My wife loves it - I don't like it. I'm 6'3'' 235lbs and find the seat no better than the stock seat. Slide forward constantly.

I have a Corbin dual tour on my old super glide and don't care for that either.

Guess I need a road sofa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts