V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of de-stocking; de chroming my 08 RedSunGlo Fat Boy the rear fender chop/bobb is a must ... At least for me it is.

Have any of u done that yourselves?
The only custom shop here wants to charge me a good 500 bucks.
I figured I could pay less, fill my week-end and have the pleasure n pride of saying "I did it"

Fingers crossed it don't turn out all "Tim Allen Home Improvement" like!!!!

Any one done that? Advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Tee

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
??? what are they doing for $500... how many hours are they charging, does it include
painting? rewire and mount rear light, and liscence plate.? how do they bob the fender?
You need to figure these answers, what do you know how to do, what do you need to learn, how much is parts, wiring, paint, Be honest with what you are capable of doing.
and what you can learn.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Well $500 is pretty damn reasonable if they are going to modify and repaint it. Do you have ANY idea what that paint costs? It's a tri-stage, so you're looking at buying basecoat and candy. Just to give you an idea...from Color Rite they want almost $90 for a HALF pint of EACH. So that comes to $180...factor in primer and clearcoat and materials cost alone exceeds $200! $300 in labor to chop, prep, paint, and cut/buff is NOT outrageous! Hope that puts things into perspective some...

Candy:
http://www.colorrite.com/product/harleydavidson-candy-red-sunglow-2042.cfm

Base:
http://www.colorrite.com/product/1402-base-1231.cfm

I will say this...they are not the cheapest out there as far as paint goes, so I would recommend you going to a paint shop and having them mix it for you, as you would surely save a few bucks on a half pint of each...you'd probably end up paying about $50-60 each...but paint is expensive and reds are always the most expensive due to the pigments they use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HMMM... well yeah; put that way 500 does seem reasonable.

I honestly don't know much about chopping; but am willing to "wing it".
worse comes to worse I pick up the parts. Load the bike and take it to the "custom shop" - I will at least argue they deduce that charge from the bill :)

My intention is chopping right about signal level.
I already got a side mount license plate.

the re-wiring is the part I will have to be careful with.
All in all I guess it wasn't a very well thought out plan.

I need to check paint prices and if the dealer has stock otherwise mix it is the solution.

thanks
cheers

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Most likely when chopping it, the paint will be compromised so that will be something to factor in. If the custom shop is going to repaint it, then they can probably get the paint cheaper than you can. If you buy it from HD you'll be buying quarts. A 1/2 pint at 1:1 will give you a full pint - more than enough. I have not known an HD dealer that stocks paint...so they order it in....and it is not HD paint anyways...just a harley label stuck on a can of paint. I know you're in Dubai, so not sure how easy it is to get used parts...but have you considered getting another fender and trying it out on that? Even if you got a damaged one on the bottom would not matter if you're cutting it off, and you could perhaps score it cheap that way...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well $500 is pretty damn reasonable if they are going to modify and repaint it. Do you have ANY idea what that paint costs? It's a tri-stage, so you're looking at buying basecoat and candy. Just to give you an idea...from Color Rite they want almost $90 for a HALF pint of EACH. So that comes to $180...factor in primer and clearcoat and materials cost alone exceeds $200! $300 in labor to chop, prep, paint, and cut/buff is NOT outrageous! Hope that puts things into perspective some...

Candy:
http://www.colorrite.com/product/harleydavidson-candy-red-sunglow-2042.cfm

Base:
http://www.colorrite.com/product/1402-base-1231.cfm

I will say this...they are not the cheapest out there as far as paint goes, so I would recommend you going to a paint shop and having them mix it for you, as you would surely save a few bucks on a half pint of each...you'd probably end up paying about $50-60 each...but paint is expensive and reds are always the most expensive due to the pigments they use.

I'm a little biased on this, of course, but I'd highly recommend NOT having a body shop do the match for you...especially since it's a candy. Chances are it won't match very well and there will be a lot of time wasted in trying to find a good match.

Frankly, we do receive comments that our paint is sometimes expensive. But paint in general is expensive now a days. This year alone we've incurred an 8% price increase. Last year it was 7%. We haven't raised our prices since 2009. So while it may seem like we cost more, many times you'll be surprised at the cost of paint from any supplier.

Additionally, and this is where we stand apart from any other company, we already have sprayed this color and matched it by eye to an actual part. We have full time formulators that do only that: formulate. A prophet or "paint scanner" will not create what is called a "butt match" (meaning you can butt one part against another an it will be an exact match). A prophet only creates a blend able match which is pretty much worthless on a motorcycle.

On top of that, if you purchase our paint and have a problem, we'll make it right. No other paint company does that...paint is a product that once it's mixed, people are stuck with whatever they had mixed; right or wrong color.

Sorry for the long post and I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just like the opportunity to explain where our costs come from and for people to understand we offer a lot more than just a can of paint. There's a lot of R&D involved and we do our best to help our customers any way possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Let's see I can get a 1/2 pint of the base AND a 1/2 pint of the candy from Accushade for less than what you want for a 1/2 pint of each

I have matched HD paints perfectly using both Matrix and PPG. Though HD won't tell you how many coats of candy to apply....I have found that 2 wet coats yields about a perfect match that is undetectable to the eye. Of course, no matter what brand you buy, it will still be dependant on the painter to match it according to how he/she sprays.

No offense of course, Uri, but you guys are expensive. I have purchased Harley colors from PPG and have never spent more than $60 on a 1/2 pint and usually the candies are cheaper than the basecoats.

Good deal on the warranty though...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let's see I can get a 1/2 pint of the base AND a 1/2 pint of the candy from Accushade for less than what you want for a 1/2 pint of each

I have matched HD paints perfectly using both Matrix and PPG. Though HD won't tell you how many coats of candy to apply....I have found that 2 wet coats yields about a perfect match that is undetectable to the eye. Of course, no matter what brand you buy, it will still be dependant on the painter to match it according to how he/she sprays.

No offense of course, Uri, but you guys are expensive. I have purchased Harley colors from PPG and have never spent more than $60 on a 1/2 pint and usually the candies are cheaper than the basecoats.

Good deal on the warranty though...

Thanks for the reply...I wasn't even aware of Accushade.

I'm not sure if you are set up with us or how you might be set up, but we do have a painter/dealer pricing schedule. If it's interesting to you, PM me and I'll be glad to discuss details.

Of course no offense is taken...we've become sponsors and active in this forum because we want to know what's going on with our customers or potential customers. We're not new in the paint business, but there's something new to learn every day in any business. We want to strengthen and establish new relationships and an open dialect is the best way to do that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I didn't know either until recently myself. And so far I've been more than pleased with their products...I've recommended Color-rite to several people before and I know you guys have a very good reputation. Glad you signed up on here too...I think you might find that paint isn't discussed often enough here...but maybe that will change a bit. Without hi-jacking the OP's post (too much :) ) do you guys offer matching of any of the custom paint sets sold by HD...I think sometimes they use some HOK....

Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum Uri!

We now direct you back to your normal programming.... :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't know either until recently myself. And so far I've been more than pleased with their products...I've recommended Color-rite to several people before and I know you guys have a very good reputation. Glad you signed up on here too...I think you might find that paint isn't discussed often enough here...but maybe that will change a bit. Without hi-jacking the OP's post (too much :) ) do you guys offer matching of any of the custom paint sets sold by HD...I think sometimes they use some HOK....

Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum Uri!

We now direct you back to your normal programming.... :D
Thanks for the welcome and I'm always open to questions or comments! To answer about the custom colors, no we typically do not. We can match them if a color sample is provided, but as for off the shelf colors, we usually do not have them.

And yeah, lets talk more paint!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No appologies necessary

It's all good and I got more than what I was expecting.

I had factored in some paint damage ifni still intend to do the job myself and my initial thought was "rat rod"!

Sometimes things look better in the mind then in reality.

I doubt that I could find the right paint elsewhere than HD... Have to check and compare.

This was a great eye opener... Kinda put me off the DIY a bit I must say.

Or I chop it off my self for the pleasure of doing that and get a pro - perhaps even the dealer do the paint.

Cheers guys... It's riding season this part of the world so ride and ride hard i say.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Well I would say with that expensive color you have...it might be best to try the chopping on a spare fender...I mean, you may not even like it after it's cut, then what? :) Don't buy the HD paint though...remember HD doesn't manufacture paint, so they are buying it from somewhere else and marking it up. I'd rather see you buy it from Color Rite or a local paint distributor out there that has an actual formula. You may even check with a bodyshop. If I recall correctly, that candy coat has some special fx flake added right into it...so be sure whatever you do and wherever you go, the candy formula also includes a small amount of flake. Even if the shades were spot-on, you would not get the same effect with out it in there.

And not to discourage from doing it yourself...but candies are more difficult to spray and match then regular paint....if you had Vivid black it would be one thing...and besides a safe and clean environment to spray in, you need to factor in weather temps as they will directly effect how things will cure, etc, etc, etc...

Ride safe man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts