V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've gone back and forth several times, and had a very intersting trip today to my local shop.

Originally, I opted for a low rider...liked 6 speed tranny and the thought of a rubber mounted engine.

A couple weeks ago (at an out of towner Harley shop) as I was leaving two bikes were next to me at a red light. One motor looked smooth and the other was bobbing up and down like Pamela Sue Anderson. I wondered to myself if that was a dyna with rubber mounted engine...hmmm. Didn't particularly like that.

So I go in today and talk with the guy, explain that while this will probably be a most days around town bike, I also want to get on it Friday night and not come back till Sunday nite. He then tells me, for that...you don't want a Low Rider. He then begins to tell me about "A" motors (low riders) and "B" motors with the counter balancers (Fat Boys).

He walked over and started up a dyna...and there was Pamela Sue Anderson agian. He started up a Fat Boy and the thing was like a rock. Next he mentioned the "possible" problems with the new tranny, and I said yeah, I heard about the recall...and he kinda muttered he might wait till the 2007 models before he would personally get a dyna.

Sooo...I'm back to the fat boy again. However, I did not get to or ask to ride either of these (as I'm still a little ways out before buying :blink: ) so I don't really know how either would do for a really long ride.

Comments and thoughts sought after, welcomed, and appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a 2001 FXDL but quickly outgrew the bike. I now have a 2004 heritage and love it. I like the suspension better, and I like the larger front tire. The heritage is more comfortable on longer trips. You probably need to ride both if you haven't yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Having owned 2 Dynas in the past and currently an 04 Fatboy I can tell you they're both great bikes. I would also be a little "suss" of the 06 Dyna's with their new primary setup, and would also recomend you ride both and then decide. Personally I prefer the Fatboy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have had both, and currently own a 05 Fatboy. You will get a more chunker ride with the fatboy. The A motor is smooth when you ride, the B motor is unbelivable on how smooth it is. My brother has an 03 Road Kind, and we sit at the lights, and he is amazed, his shaking, mine smoooooth. They are both great bike, they just had a recall on the tran for the dyna, sure you know. Bottom line is you have to ride them, you really do. People sometimes feel uncomfortable asking for a demo, man, you are going to spend a lot of $$$, take them for a ride!!!!!!!! Also the floorboards vs pegs give youa different feel, I prefer the floorboards

Good luck....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I figure by the time I add tax and extra goodies I'll be looking at close to 20 grand so...I will no problem getting a test ride on either AND both or my butt will hit the door and find someone else who wants my money.

The fat boy and the low rider were really so neck and neck it was unbelievable...when I saw the engine shake though...I really dislike that.

I will however give both a shot riding before final decision but the Fat Boy is way out in front right now. The Low Rider will just have to wow me to back in.

Thank for all the imput...

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:yes: Yes, to either Lowrider or Fatboy. I'm biased because I chose the Fatboy, but you can't go wrong with either. A ride on each will make up your mind. It did for me. I was considering both when I sold my sporty a year ago. I'm 5'8" tall. The Fatboy seems to be made just for someone my height and I like the floorboards. It seemed to fit me better, so that made-up my mind. You'll get banter from here to eternity on the advantages/disadvantages of the TC88 and TC88B. Some like the at idle shake, some don't. That wasn't a consideration either way for me. The feel of the bike was what sold me, and I'm certain there are folks who feel more comfortable on a Lowrider.

Lefty
'05 Fatboy (Jolene)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I,ve owned both{presently a Fattie}i loved the lowrider,like you would not believe,or maybe you would.
However the fatboy just had the looks,the footboards..there great!,the console ignition,the wide front end with covered tubes,the disc wheels...it goes on,and on.
There both wonderful machines,but i'd sum it up like this.
If you save a little and buy the lowrider,you will still hanker after a fatboy.
If you go fat,you wont look back.
Regards, Dave.

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Justyntym said:
Well I figure by the time I add tax and extra goodies I'll be looking at close to 20 grand so...I will no problem getting a test ride on either AND both or my butt will hit the door and find someone else who wants my money.

The fat boy and the low rider were really so neck and neck it was unbelievable...when I saw the engine shake though...I really dislike that.

I will however give both a shot riding before final decision but the Fat Boy is way out in front right now. The Low Rider will just have to wow me to back in.

Thank for all the imput...
I'm going through a similar dilemma right now trying to decide between a low rider and a duece. While at Rossmyer's HD in Daytona over thanksgiving, I was checking out the Fatboys too. This A vs. B motor stuff adds a new twist to the decision making process as well. Good luck w/ your decision.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I, also, have had both-starting with a 2003 Lowrider. It was our first H-D and really struck a special chord. As we did more riding-mostly 2 up-I noticed a real tendency to bottom out front and back. The motor vibes were acceptable but a little tiring after a few hundred miles. In the back of my mind, I always had a hankering for a Fatboy, though, and took one for a ride last fall. I immediately noticed the lack of vibration and how much smoother the ride was with the fatter front end. I coerced my wife into another ride on it and she admitted to the smoother ride. I traded the Lowrider for the Fatboy and have been extremely happy. Either one is a great bike but consider you will be riding it-Lowrider for shorter jaunts, Fatboy for longer and 2-up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts