V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 1200 XLC last spring and have been having a blast. I am addicted and frequently think of a Fat Boy. I have been looking at a 2004 fuel injected Fat Boy, Mustang seat front and rear with rider and passenger backrests, detacable windshield, V&H pipes, saddlebags, some other mods, just under 13,000 miles (cross country and down south trips), 4 months left on warranty, never been dropped, excellent condition. I am looking at $13,500. Have never ridden a Fat Boy but have heard nothing but good things about them. What do you think. I am hoping to maybe keep my Sportster also.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
I'm a little partial on the subject... :D Sounds like a sweet ride and price. Here is what Kelly says from my home town...

April 6, 2006
2004 Harley-Davidson FLSTF Fat Boy Softail
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc

Suggested Retail Value $15970

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

Optional Equipment:
"I" Models/Fuel Injected $0

·
He lives........
767 Posts
I have a 2003 Fatboy, very well balanced, easy to ride bike. It feels like a toy now after a day of riding my Ultra Classic. Sounds like a good price on that bike.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
you'll love the fatboy and the price seems very, very competitive. I doubt you'll keep the sportster after riding and getting comforatble on the Fatboy. I have a fatboy and a RK Classic and the fatboy feels like a scooter after being on the RK for a few days. It's a very easy bike to ride and fall in love with-

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I got back into riding after 25 years with out a bike . Always wanted a HD so I bought a 04 1200r Sporty because I did not want to spend a lot and was not sure if I would ride much, loved it , put 6000 mi on in 5 months just riding after work and some Sat.

I bought a RK Custom and thought that it would be great to have a Touring Bike for longer rides and a Sporty for around town, but for me that seemd like a waste so I though about one of the bikes and that was when I road a Fat Boy.

After the Fat Boy caught my eye, I sold the RK and traded in the Sporty for a 05 Annv Fat Boy . Really LOVE it ! Easier to ride , lower center of gravity, more comfortable , love floor boards ,they let you more around and get the benefits of forwards and mid controls. It's great around town or on the longer trips, at least once a week now I ride to work (160 mile RT) and have a great time.

For me it is a no brainer the FLSTFI is a much better bike for my use than the Sporty was and I have enough comfort for long rides (to me long is 300 - 400 miles a day) . But all of the HDs are good and you need to ride one to make up your mind what feels right for you.

Xaran

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
i made the same jump you are looking at... i went from an 1999 883c to a 2004 fatboy...best move i could of made... if you get a chance rent one before you buy... it is a big difference in riding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2003 FB and love it. I have also ridden my brother's sportster. I just think the FB feels much more balanced, solid and stable. Its low center of gravity allows you to feel more in control. I love it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Great Choice

Love my Fatty and I think you will to everyone seems to love'em,, and they have so many looks from hotrod to fully dressed,, look under FatBoy thread and you'll see what I mean ,,Mine is the last post in that thread,, Great price to for yours it sounds like .,, Ride Safe

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:banana: Chucky, your story sounds much like mine. I had an '04 1200C that I put about 5K on in six months and had a lot of fun riding. It had electrical problems however, and believe it or not the dealer gave me a little less than $500 less than I paid for it in trade for an '05 FatBoy. I love my fatgirl, she's not as quick as the sporty, but quick enough for me w/stage I, pcIII and v&h. All day long comfort and w/boss bags, detachable ws, sissy bar and luggage rack goes from tourer to bar hopper and back in just a few minutes.

Lefty
'05 FatBoy (Jolene)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I bought it for $13,500. Finally got to ride it some yesterday and today. It is not as quick off the line as the Sportster and not as responsive to a push on the handlebars, but I am really getting to like it. Much more comfortable on the bumps, easier to handle in curves, sits much lower, a lot more torque. Everything seems to run great.

I'm going to give it a few more days, but I think I am going to sell my Sportster. Should be a good time with the weather getting better. Any advice on best place to list and price? It is looking good. 2005 1200 Custom, Lava Red, 2,000 miles, over a year left on warranty, Stage One (SE AC, SE II Slip ons, Dynojet kit), Mustang Wide Vintage Solo with rear passenger pillon and detachable backrest, Kuraykyn ISO grips with throttle boss, ISO large pegs and stirrups, ISO passenger pegs, ISO extended shift peg, ISO brake pedal cover, oil temperature dipstick, headlight trim ring, service and parts manuals.

Thanks again for the advice and info. Look forward to checking in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts