V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra Fat Bob tank that I'd like to fix and use. 3 years after the dealer coated the tank with epoxy it has seperated from the inside of the tanks and most of it just floats around like a cicada shell. The owner of Longhorn HD sold his dealership and the new owner has no obligation to fix the previous dealers repair. Fine.

Obviously I can remove the "floaters", I just want to know the best way to remove the more stubborn stuff inside without destroying the paint on the outside (ie acids). Also, who makes the better product to fix the original issue?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad application of Kreme Kote (sp?). Por-15 makes a gas tank sealer and I like it better than the Kreme Kote. I believe it is less susceptible to peeling.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You can remove the factory stuff with acatone. You will need about a gallon and put in tank put fuel cap on and slosh around and let sit it may take 24 hours or longer depending on temp to soften and remove the old stuff. Mine did the same thing. I think mine peeled from race fuel, as I did the Kreem thing and race fuel peeled it out to. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OEM Tank Sealant Problem

I also have a OEM tank that I want to put on my bike but it has sealant that's flaking away and has developed light internal surface rust. The HD manual says you can add some solvent and lead shot and shake it up to loosen as much as you can. Has anyone ever experienced filter clogging with rust or paint that has flaked loose ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts