V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed that the front fender is off center from the tire (or vice versa) and that the left hand mounting nut & bolt tip clearance looks to be only about 1/4" +/- off the tire sidewall, while the opposite (brake) side is considerably more.

I could not find anything in the shop manual about the side clearances to the tire so I did a search here that brought up someone changing a tire size and grinding back the nut and bolt tip.

Though the above seems like a more involved situation, the only info I've found seems to point out that the fender and tire are typically out of alignment with one another and that the left side fastener setup is normally closer to the tire.

The tire runs true and the distance is consistent when the front is raised off the ground but what kind of clearance is acceptable for this side?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are your rubber grommets in place on the small dogbone pieces? If one or both are not this may be the reason for the offset. My 97 has both fender and tire lined up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is intact and tightened. I had a chance to see 4 different Springers (new and used) at dealerships this past week and they all have this same configuration. The left sidewall clearance is only about 1/4"-5/16" and the right sidewall clearance is about 1/2" +.

One of them (an '06) had only about 1/8" :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts