V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as many of you know, that have read my "Crashed at 65mph+" thread, I'm probably going to be in the market for a new bike real soon. I'm thinking of either a Road King or a Street Glide. I've always liked being able to see the road in front of me when I'm on my Heritage. Wondering if those of you with farings have thought that your sight is hindered. Thanks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have a FLHR and FLHTCU. You have more of an open feeling with windsheild, but I don't think its a big deal, just differant.

As far as FLHX, I think they are a waste of money. IMO. Sharp looking. But I would have to light bar, mine has burned out and missed it. Also need rear engine guard. To take functional equipment off is just chick.

But if you want to be a chick, why not get a FLHT, cheaper then lower with progressive, and put a better stereo in. All your getting is stock HD, why not go with the best?

Like I said, I like the look of the FLHX, but I also think they paid to much.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
As far as King vs Glide, my Road King hasn't moved in awhile. Once it gets cold out, the fairing is nice. Alot better in the rain.

Think about a tourpak, I got one one both. If you can handle a touring bike, you can handle a tourpak. It is way more convient then saddle bags. Opens nicer, better height. Why can't they come up with better lids?

Some people say they can feel the tourpak. I can't. When full loaded and piled past the limit on luggage rack I can. But not when I just got regular stuff in there.

I got detach kit, and do not take it off of the King.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Looking at your accident thread, if you want to see whats right in front of you, keep the spot lights.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Correct sizing of the windshield will have you looking over it rather then through it. The angle will have the slipstream going over your head.

AG

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Everyone has their preference in looks/styling Sometimes we all make sacrifice in comfort for looks and styling. I don't think there is a stock Harley made that I wouldn't have to change, add on to or strip parts off. The Road King can be the best touring bike on the road for me but not as it comes. The claasic low pulled back handle bars look classic and cool riding around town but unless you are willing to sacrifice fatigue in your wrists on long hauls they must be first to go for the serious tourer.I don't like non frame mounted fairings...they only offer a tiny bit of hand coverage and a radio over a windshield, which neither mean a thing to me. They catch the side wind more and and have a bit to do with high speed instability at times. The added weight does little for what slight advatage it offers IMHO. For traveling I wouldn't do without a tour pac and rack. I wouldn't live with the stock seat. I couldn't do with the stock height winshield on the King or classic. I find it odd that the RK standard doesn't come with cruise control... and that's a must for me to add. I even sacrifice styling for added fairing lowers. The bottom line for me, with spending probably as much as I could have bought a loaded fairing bike for, I still think I have the best and most perfect bike for me in the Road King for my long distance riding, but at a cost in add ons. Money wise the Ultra is money ahead for what you are getting if you want that stuff...but weighted down with some junk I neither want or need. But which ever FL style you choose you're gonna love the ride over the softail on the open road ;)

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Looking

In reality you dont look immediatly in front of you, you look way down the road, at least I do.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I have a 1/2 fairing on my fxdx-t and have had full fairings on Yamahas and BMWs. Never even thought about a visibility problem. Don't be afraid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have both a Ultra and a Dyna Super Glide. And to tell you the truth, I do not really notice the difference most of the time. You are looking far enough ahead that it should only make a small difference.

For me, if something appeared that close to me at any real speed, it is too late to do much (hit a railroad spike on the freeway several days ago!!). And looking that close while manuevering at slow speeds usually means that is where you are going.

I like the full protection of the fairing this time of year.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Look at where people live, who say they don't care about fairing. And even if you live some place warm, are you gonna go someplace else on your touring bike?

I have gone alot of palces on my FLHR, but it will be the FLHTCU in the future.

If you like the FLHX, look at FLHT, add a good stero and progressive shocks and sprngs.

A tour pak is another grand, so then need to start running the #s.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
marthared said:
Well, as many of you know, that have read my "Crashed at 65mph+" thread, I'm probably going to be in the market for a new bike real soon. I'm thinking of either a Road King or a Street Glide. I've always liked being able to see the road in front of me when I'm on my Heritage. Wondering if those of you with farings have thought that your sight is hindered. Thanks.
If you have never ridden a fairing bike then you do feel kinda closed in at first, especially with the bat wing, but you get use to it realy quick. IMO, there is no hinder to your visibility.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
berserker said:
Look at where people live, who say they don't care about fairing. And even if you live some place warm, are you gonna go someplace else on your touring bike?
LOL. Hi Berserker, how's it going? We all have an opinion don't we? Since this forum is for learning and discussing I'm going to have to beg to differ with your opinion. I'm sure you mean well and it probably makes sense to you about where a person lives who might know more about cold weather fairing protection verses windshield but I thought maybe I better step in and enlighten you.

Some people automatically think that riders who live up north know more about cold weather riding more than those in the south. I've found the opposite to be true. For the most part long after the bike is winterized in the garage in the far north the riders down south or still riding. And many are even riding to the north and in that climate more than the ones who live there. I admit that if one rides in the snow and ice one is riding in more hazardous conditions, but as far as cold it don't get to feel any colder than 20 degrees in a hard rain/sleet down south....and I've ridden in the cold drier north climate snow over the years. I am always amazed with visitors from the north on one of our cold wet years...I snicker when they say that they've been in weather far below zero and have never felt as cold as the 20 degree humid rainy weather we have some years down here. heehee. Try that type of riding and find out what protection is best suited for the rider and you'll find that 6 square inches of extra fairing hand protection will make little difference. It's more about having the proper clothing protection that is going to make a difference.
Oh by the way...YOU don't exactly state where you are are from in your location description...Antartica maybe? :cheers:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
FifthGear said:
LOL. Hi Berserker, how's it going? We all have an opinion don't we? Since this forum is for learning and discussing I'm going to have to beg to differ with your opinion. I'm sure you mean well and it probably makes sense to you about where a person lives who might know more about cold weather fairing protection verses windshield but I thought maybe I better step in and enlighten you.

Some people automatically think that riders who live up north know more about cold weather riding more than those in the south. I've found the opposite to be true. :
I am from UP/WI. I will give you people in the south may do some cold weather riding, when up north its already packed away. But up here, you start to get cool nights and morning in August. It just seems most of the sutherns I have seen visit up here, are all bundled up and b^tching. As far as dampness, depends where on the great lakes you are. People around Lake Michigan claim, people from out of the area say its damper and feels colder here. I don't know. I was raied on Lake Supersior, was a little warmer due to lake effect.

As far as fairing vs windshiels, I got one of each in the garage, and fairing is getting more use. But I am not sure if I am riding more, maybe just less clothes. But I am damn near layered up, as much I can fit. Look the little brother in Christmas Story.

So I can see, how down south with lackof snow you may do 30/40 degree riding. But around here its been that in the morning around hre for a long time. I don't go below 30, by then there is usually to much ice and snow. So maybe you got me there.

There are exceptions for every rule, but Southerns I have seen, just don't seem to have the tolerence for cold, as people who been raised in it.

I do find my hands stay dryer, and I like that.

Either way enjoy.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
either way, its time for snowmobilg. Don't even try to tell me you southerns, are experts on that too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
marthared

I ride a 2005 Road Glide with vented fairing lowers. No, there is no visual obstruction. It will take a little getting use to I am sure. Especially if you have been riding without a fairing and windshield. But after a few rides, you will wonder why you ever were riding without one in the first place. Just make sure that you get the fuel delivery system dialed in (richened up) for a bagger. Its definately a little warmer behind a fairing and lowers. Not a bad thing, especially when riding in the colder weather. Its unfortunate, but the Feds are forcing the issue when it comes to leaner running engines.:coffee:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Berserker, LOL...I can say that I am not an expert on snowmobiles for sure! I can't say I'm even an expert at crossing the country on a motorcycle although I've done it every chance I get for the last 35 years. I learn something new quite often and I'm here to learn as well as share what I've found works best for me. I value your input and enjoy it as much as mine for sure. I do like to offer my opinion and help from time to time, when I can, but I have found that part of the fun in life for some people is discovering these things for themselves so I'm not one to insist someone see my point or listen to my advice. For me, having such a strong passion for the style of riding I do, I always find ways to make that ride more enjoyable even under the harshest conditions. I prefer perfect paradise weather riding to tell you the truth but when I plan a trip I go no matter what the unpredictable/present conditions exsist and when I find myself a 1000 miles from home I've learned how to keep that smile on my face in near perfect comfort no matter what conditions spring up. 30 years ago I did do some uncomfortable riding...I've even done stupid things like riding in a T-shirt at near freezing. I'm definately tough enough...but I'm thankful that I learned that being comfortable is more important to me than being tough LOL. Thanks for the posts and keep your forum input coming...we appreciate you. :cheers:

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I went from a Heritage to an E glide and thought, "this is great, I don't have to look down for the guages and there's a radio".

A dark tinted windshield will affect the close in vision at night though.

Chris

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
whats the point of a tinted windsheild?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Marthared.....very valid question, especially in light of your recent accident. I had the same question before I bought my Ultra (also have a FXSTI). After the first 10 miles I didn't notice the fairing and more importantly I did not feel any visibility problem. As they say, you look down the rode, howver you can still catch that look at some right in front of you. As to tour packs, saddle bags and windshields, we all have our preferences, but the fairing is NOT the big deal it would seem to be. Definitely hice in cold rainy weather.

I've been reading your accident thread, the Lord is definitely watching over you. I say go for the "I stopped I-5" tshirt!

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
berserker said:
But I am damn near layered up, as much I can fit. Look the little brother in Christmas Story.
Layered up is not the way to go on a bike. Buy a good set of winter riding gear and you won't need to. I usually wear an Underarmor t-shirt and a long sleeve t-shirt underneath my jacket and underarmor long-johns under my riding pants - that's it. This will keep me warm down to about 35 degrees. For long rides or colder temps i put on heated liners. The liners are very thin so you still are not bulked up. It is a little bit of an investment to get the right gear but you will be amazed how much more comfortable you are.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts