V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have what seems to be a common problem.... I feel my 2004 FLHTCI runs too hot.
With just me (210 lbs) on an 80 degree day temps can get to 225-30 degrees (read w/digital dipstick) I have seen 257 with my wife on the back. The bike runs like a charm and the heat thing is my only complaint. Harley of course says that they are normal temps.
These bikes are probably set up real lean to accomodate EPA rules or something, anyway on these warmer days when riding 2 up and we get caught in heavy traffic or at a stop sometimes so much heat is comming from the bike that we almost have to get off of it!
My wife certainly can't keep her feet on the passenger floorboards (ends up raising her feet and putting them on my knees until we are moving again)
SO ....I am off on a quest to make this bike more tolerable to sit on in warm weather and can't really decide whether to put on an oil cooler or a fan.
Harley says the fan lowers the oil temps by as much as 20 degrees ... the fan helps when stopped or at slower speeds. How about the oil cooler? Of course when stopped it does no good but if it keeps the oil temps down when moving that might help when we stop.
Or should I ask Harley to check and see if it is running too lean? I get about 45 MPG and in talking to others with the same bike they say they only get around 35 ... some as high as 38 mpg. Maybe I got one that is adjusted TOO lean???
Then I have heard others claim that switching to a 2 into 1 exhaust will make it cooler too ... I am totally confused about which path to take now ... any suggestions would be welcomed.
Great Forum
Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
KWG --

You didn't mention your engine/pipe/intake config so I don't know if you are stock, Stage 1, Stage 2, or other. But there are things that you can do to cool your bike a bit.

The cheapest solution is synthetic oil. Not the Syn3 blend but real synthetic. On my '04 Softail that was good for almost 10 degrees right there.

Second, a dyno tune wouldn't hurt either. Carb or EFI, HD likes them lean from the factory. If you haven't done this you are generating more heat than necessary.

Third, an oil cooler seems to be good for about 20 degrees but you are correct in that it's major benefit is while moving.

Lastly, having some head work (exhaust ports) done will also help you lower your temp but will cost more than the options mentioned above.

On my '04 Softail I am running about 210 degrees on a 90 degree day immediately after exiting the Interstate and running 70mph. Before I had the first three options done I would have been running around 240 degrees. Now, even after exiting the Interstate and traveling about 5 miles across town with several red lights I can still arrive home at about 210 degrees.

My '06 Ultra runs about the same, just a little warmer but I haven't had a chance to have it dyno tuned. I'm just running a map available from dynoject with a little tweaking on my end. Same oil as the Softail and with an oil cooler I'm running about the same temps just maybe a bit higher.

Both bikes are Stage II/203 cams/SE Intake.

Hope some of this helps.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
cooling

To clarify ... everyting is stock from HD ... 5k on bike, HD syn3 oil.
Just curious ... what is the ball park cost to have a bike "dyno tuned"?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
KWG said:
To clarify ... everyting is stock from HD ... 5k on bike, HD syn3 oil.
Just curious ... what is the ball park cost to have a bike "dyno tuned"?
Gonna take a stab at this and say that to determine a good base map you're looking at $200~$300 tops. Subsequent changes (new pipes) would be quite a bit cheaper if you used the same tuner. He'll start with your base map and fairly quickly adjust it to suit your new config.

What you'll end up with is a bike that runs better, cooler, and probably gets a good bit less mpg. HD sends them out lean to satisfy the EPA.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts