V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 softail. Since new I have had issues with a false neutral. Always happens when going from second to first or from neutral to first.
Twice this has almost got me hit when trying to downshift to clear an intersection while making a left turn.
I have tried the regular HD primary lube, The HD Syn all in one and Red Line. Still happens about every 10th time or so.
Primary Chain adjustment is ok.
Other than this, it's the best shifting 'stock' trans I've owned. Other bikes were 1996 and older though. (I had a trans redone by Murdoch that shifted better, but it wasn't stock.)

Dealer says false neutrals are normal.
My warranty runs out February the 28th.
Should I "try" again for a warranty repair, or is this really normal on some of the later model softail tran's??

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I had this problem with neutrals and shifting untill they reamed out the bushing on my heel/toe.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
'False neutral is normal' is certainly nonsense and dangerous as you can see from the 2006 Dyna recall. Make sure as 'Machinist' recommended that the shift mechanism isn't binding anywhere. HD changed the bushing in the shift lever to Nylon several years ago and some of them bind so badly that the lever will not return into the center position. I replaced mine with home-made brass bushing and that was the end of it.
If that doesn't work, let the dealer know that you are aware of the Dyna issue and if he still doesn't budge, ask to give you in writing what he told you in case you need some evidence in court to hold against him. Should get him off his a$$.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Happens to me here and there. Usually when not shiftng decisive enough. Not condoning. But when band aid is shift like you mean it. Not saying to beat on it.

Some more techinical people can advise an actual fix.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I lubed the the linkage and adjusted the primary chain. Chain was adjusted to the loose end of spec's. Readjusted it to the tighter side of spec's and took it for a ride. Did not have a single false neutral. Also, I made a point of pushing pretty firm each time I downshifted to first.
Thanks again, Tom

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
j79phan said:
Thanks for the replies. I lubed the the linkage and adjusted the primary chain. Chain was adjusted to the loose end of spec's. Readjusted it to the tighter side of spec's and took it for a ride. Did not have a single false neutral. Also, I made a point of pushing pretty firm each time I downshifted to first.
Thanks again, Tom
If adjusting the primary chain fixed your problem, you might want to look into getting an auto primary chain tensioner, like an HD-125 or M-6 or the new HD model. They will keep your chain to the proper spec and you don't have to worry about it getting lose again.

I ussually double tap the shifter when going into first, just to make sure kind of thing. Old habit I guess.

·
OBSESSED
1,072 Posts
If that doesn't work, let the dealer know that you are aware of the Dyna issue and if he still doesn't budge, ask to give you in writing what he told you in case you need some evidence in court to hold against him. Should get him off his a$$

I like your style VH

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
DRG said:
If that doesn't work, let the dealer know that you are aware of the Dyna issue and if he still doesn't budge, ask to give you in writing what he told you in case you need some evidence in court to hold against him. Should get him off his a$$

I like your style VH

It's not easy to be nice all the time, but I keep trying

1 - 8 of 8 Posts