V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got to thinking about a post I read last fall on this forum. Forgot who wrote it but he said if you have a deer right in front of you, put your head down, go full throttle and cut right through the damn thing.

I have heard many people say that deer are really solid and didn't see how this made ANY sense! But, I have seen this "run through" the deer on other sites and they WEREN'T kidding. They even talked about how their jacket still had that "smell".

I live in a deer area so if anyone can shed "REAL" light on this subject, it would do all of us good.:yikes:

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Either way, it's going to leave a mark.

I think what they are trying to say is that you are likely to get yourself into equal or more trouble by swerving. A swerve at highway speed to avoid a deer could put you into a cage, a guardrail, a tree, or launch you on an off-road adventure. I think you try to slough off as much speed as you can before impact, stay straight, lower your profile, hang on, and pray if you are so inclined.

Just a personal opinion. I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I hit one a week ago using the "don't brake or swerve" method and in my situation it worked out very well. By the time I saw the antlers running at me in the fog from the right I knew there was no way I could stop in time. I braced myself and gave it some gas thinking that maybe I could beat him to the spot we were both about to occupy. I heard his antlers hit the windshield and felt a stinger on my right middle finger as an antler struck my right brake lever/grip and on my right knee as it struck the deer in the front shoulder/rib area. The bike jolted to the left on impact but I was able to keep it up and continue down the road. Other than the bruises on my finger and knee the bike and myself were both fine. I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. I think in a situation like this it's 90% luck, 9% instinct, and 1% skill. I was very very lucky that morning.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think the swerving is out due to you may not know which way the deer is going to go next. I have seen the suckers run right into the side of cars.

Ducking down sounds good. Actually making a small as profile as possible is more like it. So to think about it, now your body is tightened up and you are about to impact that means the weight on bike is going to be most on the front wheel on impact, so now the question is why give the bike some throttle?

I remember that dirt bike riders give the bikes throttle to relieve some of the shifting weight off the front wheel when the go to "jump" a log or whatever. In this case the deer is about to be a big whatever, so maybe that throttle shifting the weight to the back will allow the bike to go up over the carcass and not flip nose first over it? But the dirt guys do slow prior to speeding up over the obstacle, so that might be something to add to do if we can.

I have been lucky, been riding nearly 2 decades and driving longer than that - no deer crashes yet. But I like the advice and thoughts on this, anything to help me get closer to 3 or more decades is welcome.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
brake...bob...weave...and thats just in my friggin driveway !!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
machinist said:
brake...bob...weave...and thats just in my friggin driveway !!!
I have had a few of those late nights.:duh?:

My favorite deer story was this guy I stopped during one of my previous careers. 82mph in a 55 zone. It right after sunset in this little valley with a stream nearby (you know perfect for deer to hang out). When I asked him why, he explained that he had hit a deer in that same area before in his other car and did not want it to happen again.

Uhhh . . .Ok.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
kah127 said:
I hit one a week ago using the "don't brake or swerve" method and in my situation it worked out very well. By the time I saw the antlers running at me in the fog from the right I knew there was no way I could stop in time. I braced myself and gave it some gas thinking that maybe I could beat him to the spot we were both about to occupy. I heard his antlers hit the windshield and felt a stinger on my right middle finger as an antler struck my right brake lever/grip and on my right knee as it struck the deer in the front shoulder/rib area. The bike jolted to the left on impact but I was able to keep it up and continue down the road. Other than the bruises on my finger and knee the bike and myself were both fine. I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. I think in a situation like this it's 90% luck, 9% instinct, and 1% skill. I was very very lucky that morning.

now thats some crazy, you know what! gald your here to relate!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
The deer that got away

I tagged the back section of a deer near 40mph. The bike tracked straight through with a small wiggle at impact. It knocked the deer on it's ass, and spun it around.

I stopped to look the bike over afterwards. A little tuft of fur in the front fender, and a little hand manipulation to straighten it back out was all that it needed. The fall-away was fine, and no tracking/ uneven tire wear noticed.

I don't know about hwy speeds, though. I'm up for the scrubbing off speed and maintain course when no other options are available.

Either way, being aware of the possibility is a good start...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
My .02 on revvng the throttle.

Bike is basically a gyroscope, by keeping the rear wheel moving the bike may be more inclined to stay upright rather than going down on impact.

I'm no physicist though, just a thought.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
rule one ...aim at the deer's arse...as he ain't gonna walk backwards...^rolleyez^

rule two....if you see a deer most likely his buddy is standing in bush too:unsure:

rule three..when it comes to critters on the road if you can't eat it in one sitting it ain't safe to run over.:whistle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts