V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a pair of fairing mirrors on a friends Glide yesterday. Not only have the mirror mounts changed but it seems the mounting location is lower on the fairing.

I've got the fairing mirrors on my 04' Ultra. Mine have 3 machine screws and nuts that hold them on. Plus you can rotate the base before you tighten it down so that the curves cut into the base of the mirror fit the contours of the inner fairing.

Now the newer mirrors that I installed on my buds Glide last night have only one major plastic stud that holds the mirror on. And it has a locating dowel tip on the base that a hole must be drilled for as well. This prevents you from being able to turn the base to find the best fit of the contours cut in the base to the curvature of the inner fairing. Not only that, but the mirrors mouting location is lower than mine. They must have changed the template.

I know with my fairing mirrors you see more of your shoulders than traffic. Maybe thats why they lowered the mounting location on the newer versions. They just seem a little too low to me. And with the template they provide you, getting them mounted right is a no brainer. Guess I'll come back and give a full evaluation later after I test drive it later today.

Just wondering what others opinions are on this.
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bountyhunter said:
There is a recall on the first couple months of street glide production to replace the inner fairing as the mirrors were mounted too low.
Hmmm. The production date on the box of fairing mirrors my bud gave me was 8/22/05. Well at least that is whats on the label on the outside of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
thats within the date of the recall those are mounted wrong.....i had the same problem brought it back to harley and they gave me a wholle new inner fairing and mounted the mirrors for me for free...........its a nightmare but now its done right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
I have the factory recall issue with my 06' Street Glide mirrors. My intention was to replace the inner fairing with a painted one and pay the difference. Well, after 2 or 3 dealers and also the MOCO telling me that is not possible, I have decided to just buy the painted inner fairing myself and run the traditional mirrors mounted on the lever perch. Don't care much for the fairing style mirrors as no matter how you mount them, you cannot get the same field of vision as with the handlebar mounted mirrors. I ride on the California Freeways all the time and feel safer with the traditional mirrors. Just my 2cts.........
 

·
The Best Me I Can Be
Joined
·
22,791 Posts
gliderman said:
Don't care much for the fairing style mirrors as no matter how you mount them, you cannot get the same field of vision as with the handlebar mounted mirrors. I ride on the California Freeways all the time and feel safer with the traditional mirrors. Just my 2cts.........
I'm with you. For the same reasons, I use the older style rectangular, flat glass mirrors, on the long stems, and with 2'' spot mirrors on them, on my FXRT. They're not real sexy, I guess, but I can see really well behind me.

Joe
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I test rode the bike late this afternoon and came to this conclusion. Going back and reading my first post you gather I have the older style fairing mirror which is mounted up higher than the revised ones. With mine your seeing more of your shoulders and then everything else. Well with the newer style mirrors I installed on my buds glide, during the test ride I found I'm seeing more of my hands and then everything else. It's like the trade up on the difference in mirror revisions or template changes was seeing hands instead of shoulders. It's not absolutely horrible mind you, but it could definitely be better.

I found and read the TSB on the recall and see that they offer a mirror now with a different template and large enough base to cover up the previous fubar of the not so great mounting location. Last resort it looks like is replacing the inner fairing. I think my bud will be able to live with it. Like I said, visibility ain't great, but it's not unacceptable either. I'll see what he thinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
timbo said:
Well I test rode the bike late this afternoon and came to this conclusion. Going back and reading my first post you gather I have the older style fairing mirror which is mounted up higher than the revised ones. With mine your seeing more of your shoulders and then everything else. Well with the newer style mirrors I installed on my buds glide, during the test ride I found I'm seeing more of my hands and then everything else. It's like the trade up on the difference in mirror revisions or template changes was seeing hands instead of shoulders. It's not absolutely horrible mind you, but it could definitely be better.

I found and read the TSB on the recall and see that they offer a mirror now with a different template and large enough base to cover up the previous fubar of the not so great mounting location. Last resort it looks like is replacing the inner fairing. I think my bud will be able to live with it. Like I said, visibility ain't great, but it's not unacceptable either. I'll see what he thinks.
FYI: I received a set of these mirrors for Xmass and they do mount low (I see my knuckles in lower part of the mirror). This is not a problem as I still have enough adjustment to see behind me. I was very cautious and measured six ways to Sunday before I drilled.

The problem that I had was with the thread stud and the mounting nut. The stud is plastic and the flashing from the casting caused it to bind and I ended up breaking it. (yes I had to purchases another set of mirrors as the dealer wouldn't even think about replacing them) I did screw the nut on before I installed it this time. The first set has a date of 09/09/2005 and the other set 08/24/2005. The templates are the same. Now if Harley would only adjust the templates again they might get the location correct.
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the post.
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
55 Posts
I like the Street Glide, but hated the mirrors. If I had one I would put fog lights on it, too.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll just keep my Ultra.:brows:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
178 Posts
gliderman said:
I have decided to just buy the painted inner fairing myself and run the traditional mirrors mounted on the lever perch. Don't care much for the fairing style mirrors as no matter how you mount them, you cannot get the same field of vision as with the handlebar mounted mirrors.
I had the fairing replaced and the mirrors remounted by my dealer also. I have to agree with you. It's an improvement but I am still not satisfied with the field of vision. It really is a nice look but I'm more concerned about safety. If you have very small hands and do not wear gloves it may not be too bad. But I went from my hands blocking half of the view to blocking a third of the view. They also seem to be more difficult to adjust after the fairing replacement. I'll probably eventually switch to handlebar mirrors also.

alpha
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top