V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while cleaning my 08 SG I noticed a small "rub spot" on the left front of the tank. I turned the bars to the exterme left as if I was going to engage the fork lock and noticed the the fairing was just touching the tank. When I turned to the right there was approximately 1/8" clearance between the tank and fairing at the closest point.

Rode to the closest Dealer. They looked at the bike and the first question was "Did you drop the bike ?" Looking at them and then my shiny, new SG with 2K on it I asked if it looked as if it's been down. No reply from either technician.

After turning the bars from lock to lock several times and looking at other 08 SG's in stock they concluded that when Harley increased the fuel capacity to 6 gallons they reduced the clearance to "nothing or less than nothing" and told me to try to not turn so sharply to the left when trying to park my bike in tight spaces. I could see I was getting nowhere so I left the dealership.

Today I was looking at the stops and decided to add some type of bumper to limit the movement. I came up with a small vinyl bumper from Home Depot. Cost $2.78 for a card of 15. They are self adhereing, 3/8" diameter and about .180 inch thick. I placed one on the side of the frame just in front of the factory plastic stop. This would be about 3/4 inch to the rear of the zerk grease fitting for the steering neck bearings. Now I have about 1/8-1/4" clearance. Added one to the right side just to be safe on that side too.

If I had not noticed this problem I would have rubbed through the paint on the tank and probably ended up with a rust spot. Although it's almost impossible to see this "rub spot" , one would think that the engineers and road testers of a $20,000+ machine would have noticed this problem or maybe I'm the only one who got a bike with this defect.
So all you 2008 Street Glide riders....check the fairing to tank clearance and let me know if I have a one-of-a-kind SG.

Thanks
Thunderhead
NE Ohio

PS I also posted this on the General Talk Forun but then thought that it may fit better here.

·
Registered
622 Posts
This still sounds like a warranty issue. Don't take the lame excuse from the dealer. Either take it up w/ the manager/owner or w/ MOCO, you may end up with a new tank. They may complain about altering the bumpers, but all you did was add to them to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
thunderhead said:
After turning the bars from lock to lock several times and looking at other 08 SG's in stock they concluded that when Harley increased the fuel capacity to 6 gallons they reduced the clearance to "nothing or less than nothing" and told me to try to not turn so sharply to the left when trying to park my bike in tight spaces.
That's a lame response, they should fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted to see if other 08 SG had this problem.
I'll take it to the dealer where I made the purchase, let them have a look/see.

Leaving on a trip to Georgia and Florida. I made the fix so that I didn't do any more damage to the paint on the tank. Probably won't get to my stealership until I return.

After this trip I'll be ready for my second service. Not having any more services at the stealer. I'm still a little tender from the 1000 mile. How long does it usually take to heal from a typical first service fluid change? Got boinked for only $242.00!!!!!!

I can probably do more than the technician did in 1-2 hours and a 6-pak of tall boys. While I was looking at the zerk for the neck bearings I noticed that it was never greased at the 1000 mile. I believe that is supposed to be part of the service.

I'm still looking for a service manual for the 08 SG. Like to find one on CD. Does anybody know where I can find one other than going to the stealer ?
Bought my last one on e-bay but haven't found one for this bike there yet.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
thunderhead said:
I'm still looking for a service manual for the 08 SG. Like to find one on CD. Does anybody know where I can find one other than going to the stealer ?
Bought my last one on e-bay but haven't found one for this bike there yet.
From what I've heard, the '08 service manuals are not available yet to anyone, not even the dealers have them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was at a local cafe the other day, I was telling a mechanic friend about this post, and about the dealer saying not to "turn so sharply to the left when trying to park my bike in tight spaces."
We was laughing about the reply when he notice his water glass was dirty, he called over the waitress and she took her finger nail and said "Oh its ok it on the outside of the glass"
We both laughed so hard.
Had a friend had the same problem and did the home depot thing worked great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts