V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to adjust the bars on my FLHX. I read the manual and followed the instructions. Removed the ignition switch. Took out the two T27's.

For the life of me I don't see how the heck to slip that cap out. The little plastic plate that shows the different switch positions(ignition, lock, off accessory) is not part of the cap but interferes with the cap removal because it has tabs located under the ignition that prevent me from removing the cap. I'm afraid I'm going to break the thing off. Little help?

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You're trying to lift your ignition switch, right? Easy. You feel under the switch bottom along the left side for a tab. Put your key in the ignition and turn to ACC. Push up the tab (Usually with a small screw driver). Continue to turn your switch to and past ACC. It'll come straight up now. Then remove the nut and plastic spacers. THEN you can lift the little plate up. There ya go!!

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geezer-Glide said:
You're trying to lift your ignition switch, right? Easy. You feel under the switch bottom along the left side for a tab. Put your key in the ignition and turn to ACC. Push up the tab (Usually with a small screw driver). Continue to turn your switch to and past ACC. It'll come straight up now. Then remove the nut and plastic spacers. There ya go!!
Thanks for the response.

No. I already have the switch removed. What I'm trying to do is remove the cap itself. I can't see how I can slide the thing over the ignition because the little plastic plate that sits on top of the cap interferes with the caps removal.

With the switch removed, I don't see a nut or the spacers you mention.

I'll try to take a picture and post it up, but the last couple times I've tried posting pictures on this site, I was unsuccessful...which is a whole other issue.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay... I'm a dipstick.

I took another gander at it and yes indeed there is a nut and two spacers which are now removed. How I missed the fact that the top piece of pot metal is actually a nut I will never know. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm not very good at this. lol

·
Banned
701 Posts
Inner fairing cap removal is a piece of cake. Just remove the ignition switch, take out the 2 side screws securing the cap and carefully pull it off. Took me about 2 minutes. Make sure you line up the ignition tumblers upon reassembly, a little tricky!

:hystria:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
jimmymac said:
I took another gander at it and yes indeed there is a nut and two spacers which are now removed. How I missed the fact that the top piece of pot metal is actually a nut I will never know. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm not very good at this. lol
OK, you're a dipstick!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Seriously, it's not hard to get caught not noticing something the first time you do it. :yikes:

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geezer-Glide said:
OK, you're a dipstick!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Seriously, it's not hard to get caught not noticing something the first time you do it. :yikes:
I am a dipstick. It was real easy afterall. Guess I shouldn't mention that I've been pondering this off and on for over a day now, but I will anyway... I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm trying. I'm really glad you made mention of the nut and spacers. Much thanks. I'm trying to do my own work on this thing. Live and learn.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Sometimes the manual doesn't picture things quite well. Have fun with your new bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts