V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been shopping around, and it looks like a 2002 EFI Black Fatboy. Around $19 large without taxes and all that extra sh*t. It's in stock and I can pick it up tomorrow. Does the price sound reasonable?
Also, not sure I love the floor boards. Are there after market forward peg options out there for the Fatboy?
Hippo- If I get this bike tomorrow, My lady and I will probably do the Foothills HOG Sunday run. Are you planning to be there?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I got this bridge in New York, and I'll give ya' a good price on it. <G>

There are several threads going right now that deal with how much is a fair price for a new bike. I think it's safe to say that few people believe that more than msrp is fair. Even the MoCo believes that price is fair since they set it. That being said, let's do the math from the official Harley Davidson WEB site, products list. I may round off by few dollars for ease of math.

2002 Fatboy msrp: $15800
F/I 600
freight (officially) 250 (All dealers charge more)
prep (nothing officially) 4-800 (based on dealer)
security system (factory) 275
special paint (two tone OR 600
pearl) 275 (only one charge applies)

I am presuming no extra chrome or accessories. I am assuming that all taxes, registration, license, etc. are extra. But you do the math. And
don't show the figures to your wife. IF you are getting a two-tone bike and are paying an unbelievable $800 bucks for the dealer prep, you are still over paying at least $650 OVER msrp, more like close to a thousand over (since $800 is far too much for dealer prep). The ONLY way the 19K price would be close to msrp is with the two-tone color and the dealer is throwing in a 5 year official H/D extended warranty is part of the price.

Your wife would appropriately be asking: honey, if you're going to waste a thousand dollars, why don't you buy me..... [fill-in the blank]. AND she'd be right. You could spend that thousand dollars on her. Or on other Harley parts. LOL!!!!!!

My suggestion: negotiate the price down, or get the extended warranty as part of the deal or get a lot of parts/chrome thrown in. OR DON'T buy it at that price.

'sorry for being so frank. You ask and I told ya' the truth.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
My apologies to you, Hippo.

I know the post was directed to you. I couldn't help responding.

IMHO. I see far too many riders who assume the information they are getting at a dealership (or independent shop) is correct. At some dealerships, yes. Unfortunately, like the world in general, there are persons (dealerships or shops) out there that may take unfair advantage. And the msrp thing always gets my blood pumping.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pasadenajim :
THANK YOU! I appreciate the bluntness, and I'll be better prepared to deal tomorrow. I've been talking to another dealer, in fact rented a Deuce from them to try out. I'll go back there to comparison shop.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No problem Jim, go ahead and answer my questions any time you want as at imes I may not check all the forums.

19K, is just about a grand over list, so it looks like you found it at Chandler.

I wouldn't worry about the floorboards, if you are like most you'll get used to them in a couple of hours and never go back to pegs again.

I don't ride with the HOGgers all that often, but if there is nothing else going on I might. Usually don't plan day rides that far in advance.

As far as getting the bike or not, it's something YOU got to figure out, I don't know if it's worth a grand to you having the bike right now and not knowing when you can get another one, but I haven't seen any FatBoy's sitting around. Personally I don't pay a dime over MSRP, but it's different because I always have at least one bike. I might if I didn't have a ride.

The only place you will do much better is Buddy Stubbs, but they don't get many bikes.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
One more factor not yet mentioned. The pricing along with the extra gouge needs to take into consideration the finace charges. It is one thing to pay a thousand bucks over BUT get the bike you really want. It is another thing to finance a thousand bucks over.

Many folks see the tag and fail to look at the total cost over the course of the loan.

If you are paying cash look at the bottom line check you will write. If you are financing look at the total paid over the course of the loan.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
nya 2000,

If you found your scooter in Chandler, was it at Chico's?
I would not be concerned about the floorboards, that will not be a problem for you 25 miles down the road.
Tell the dealer that you want a better deal on the 5 yr. warrenty .
19,000 is a bundle in any body's book. See if you can get 1,ooo backed off that price. If you like the rental, tell them so , it cannot hurt, if they want to sell the Fatboy to you and keep you for a customer.
Maybe you should let the wife take care of the bargining and tell her she can have the grand if she can bargin them down.
Anyway, good luck.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GOT IT!

Thanks, all, for the input. I got the Fatboy today, and I'm psyched! Armed with your advice, I was able to negotiate much better pricing, Still a bit over MSRP but reasonable, I think. Wasn't Chico's, but Chandler H-D. I also got a good feeling about there attitude and service. One of the concessions was a $1,000 in accessories (I realize dealer's cost is less), so I put on a full windshield and am ordering Vance & Hines two-into-one Pro pipes. This is going to be one expensive-ass hobby. I think I know why bikers prefer their rides over cages - They can't afford a car. LOL. Anyway, can't wait to get out and ride tomorrow!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
99wideglide:
Thanks. Already popped for the V & H Pro Pipes (HS), but I haven't had this much fun spending money since... well, thats a story for another time.
What a difference those pipes make! I'm gonna ride till my a** falls off.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Congrats, nyaz!

Enjoy your ride!!!!!!!!!!

And Bill C, be glad to help, anytime.... <G> You can get a lot of
good advise from the years of experience here on the Forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AWRIIGGHHTT!

Got the bike, put the pipes on, did my 50-mile break-in, took my lady on our first group ride today! I'm hooked...how am I gonna go back to work tomorrow? Guess I'll drop out and ride forever...or...NOT. Can't wait for next weekend. Glad to be here. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts