V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at the dealership today. They are having 15% off parts and labor for the next few months, and are running engine upgrade specials. I have read many posts about the components of good builds, but unfortunately I'm limited to what I can get that won't invalidate my warranty. The service manager was open to me substituting parts (that I buy from him of course) in the build for the standard SE ones. I'm mostly a local rider and don't care too much about high RPM horsepower. I'm looking for a seat of the pants riproaring ride. Does anyone have any good suggestions? If I stick with chain driven cams, is the 203 the right cam for me? It's the one that comes standard in the package. I know I have read about people favoring the 203 over the 204, or vice versa. I was doing forum searches, and "203" and "204" are too short a word to do a search on. If I can convince the dealer to let me use gear driven cams I'll be happy. Does anyone have a good choice between Andrew's and Woods that is the equivalent of a 203 or 204, or better than either? Is it worth getting Street Head work done at Big Boyz if I can get SE heads at 15% off? Anyway, I'm a newbie as far as engine upgrades go and, if I can't get exactly what I want, I'd like the best I can get considering my limitations. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Lunker said:
I was just at the dealership today. They are having 15% off parts and labor for the next few months, and are running engine upgrade specials. I have read many posts about the components of good builds, but unfortunately I'm limited to what I can get that won't invalidate my warranty. The service manager was open to me substituting parts (that I buy from him of course) in the build for the standard SE ones. I'm mostly a local rider and don't care too much about high RPM horsepower. I'm looking for a seat of the pants riproaring ride. Does anyone have any good suggestions? If I stick with chain driven cams, is the 203 the right cam for me? It's the one that comes standard in the package. I know I have read about people favoring the 203 over the 204, or vice versa. I was doing forum searches, and "203" and "204" are too short a word to do a search on. If I can convince the dealer to let me use gear driven cams I'll be happy. Does anyone have a good choice between Andrew's and Woods that is the equivalent of a 203 or 204, or better than either? Is it worth getting Street Head work done at Big Boyz if I can get SE heads at 15% off? Anyway, I'm a newbie as far as engine upgrades go and, if I can't get exactly what I want, I'd like the best I can get considering my limitations. Thanks for the help!
SE Heads
HTCC Heads
Dewey Spegs
Big Boyz
Dan Baisley Pro Street Heads
Edelbrock
Andrews 37 for very good mild hop up
TW5 for a big torque toy that will let you run ragged
TW6H for good torque and good top end, probably the cam out there at the moment, but it does have valve train issues according to forum members.
Andrews 55 for excellent mid range and top end
Hotshots TR590 for excellent mid range and top end
TC600 is almost the same as the TW6H from woods
95" kit........although I like 98"
Pipes, Bassani Pro Streets.......they are as good as the 2:1`s
V&H Pro pipe if you like 2:1`s
D&H Fatcats......very popular at the moment
Thunderheader ........was the performance pipe.
Baisley Oil Spring

this is just the beginning.....................

All the best, Ozzie

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Type what Ozzie has posted in the search function and you will not be dissapointed. Tons written on 95 builds in this forum. It will take you hours to read and as a result, you have have even more questions. I am still working on mine. It changes every month.

The build that I am working on, is a 95 with SE heads. The cam I want to use is a TW-5g (maybe a 2 degree adv. key), Baisley spring, beefed up clutch, S&S cam plate, Bassani black pro street pipes, SERT, and a few other things later down the road. Good Luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
May not be an issue to you (and this is words only - not experience yet) but waiting for a Street Glide which will have the Stage II 95ci upgrade with 203 cams. I have the same deal with my dealer. The word I got on the 203 was that since they were offered on a stock 95 motor, they would be covered. But gear drive never has been offered. My dealer, if I bought from them and them do labor, would cover warranty on motor with gear drive, but ONLY AT MY DEALER. So if I road to Daytona and had a motor problem, no one else would cover the 7 year warranty. I would either pay for fix (and then it would be documented against later warranty if needed from MoCo) or just have it shipped back to my dealer for service. Of course that is if my dealer was still owned by the same people.

My answer to myself was go with the cams and chain. If it did have a problem is was thier problem for 7 years. After that if I was worried I would change the cams to more aggressive and gear drive.

something to ask the dealer if you decide on gears or different cams and want to keep your warranty.

skip

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the informative answers everybody. You condensed a ton of info here for me. I'd still like to know if I'm stuck sticking with HD parts, should I go with the 203 or 204 SE cam? Should I stick with the pistons that come in the 95" kit if i don't get new heads? Is it worth the extra money to go with the SE HTCC heads (regular HTCC or Ported HTCC?)? If yes which one of these two, and which pistons should go I with to match the heads? I'm sorry about following up an answer with a bunch of questions, but this engine build stuff is a real can of worms for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quick question which may help those answerng (who are much smarter than me) is the type bike. Bagger or ligher bike like Dyna. Baggers like torque and lighter like HP. This is what I have picked up from reading here. Might help you get the answer more definded to your wants/needs. Just a thought.
skip

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
If you don't mind spending a little extra, you can purchase a warranty through an insurance company. That way you can put whatever aftermarket perf. part on your harley you want and you are covered. I personally do not like the stealer at all. Had some bad experiences in the Champaign Urbana area. I have found an Indy shop that treats me right. Because they work on my bike and I have changed parts, my warranty was voided. But I only had the two year warranty and I never had a problem anyway. However, if I had a a few grand or so in an engine, might be worth it to buy a warranty from an insurance company. Not saying that it is the best answer, but it is one of a few options.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trackstar55 said:
If you don't mind spending a little extra, you can purchase a warranty through an insurance company. That way you can put whatever aftermarket perf. part on your harley you want and you are covered. I personally do not like the stealer at all. Had some bad experiences in the Champaign Urbana area. I have found an Indy shop that treats me right. Because they work on my bike and I have changed parts, my warranty was voided. But I only had the two year warranty and I never had a problem anyway. However, if I had a a few grand or so in an engine, might be worth it to buy a warranty from an insurance company. Not saying that it is the best answer, but it is one of a few options.
Thanks,
I could cash out the remainder of my 7-year warranty and spend the money on that. For right now I'm still trying to go the HD route. If it becomes too much trouble I may opt for your suggestion.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
other alternative is to remove the parts yourself and have them sent out to be bored and the heads done. get your own pistons and install them your self or have an indy do it for you. that way the moco will not know. good luck
Why don't others think of this?
I swear, I NEVER DID THIS!!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I did the 95" with the 203's in August. I now have over 5k on the build and love it. I know it is a mild build but has a lot more power than stock and no issues at all. Bike now has 5k on build and 12k on bike and no oil usage or any thing else wrong. I think it is a good mild build and keeps all you HD warranty intack. I did not do heads becasue I was told it would mess up my waranty, I too have the 7yr through HD. My .02 MIke

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
trackstar55 said:
Type what Ozzie has posted in the search function and you will not be dissapointed. Tons written on 95 builds in this forum. It will take you hours to read and as a result, you have have even more questions. I am still working on mine. It changes every month.

The build that I am working on, is a 95 with SE heads. The cam I want to use is a TW-5g (maybe a 2 degree adv. key), Baisley spring, beefed up clutch, S&S cam plate, Bassani black pro street pipes, SERT, and a few other things later down the road. Good Luck
I can not talk from experience........yet!........but I dont think the TW5 needs the 2 degree advance as does the TW6H..............as it is putting out very good torque figures in the 2000/4500rpm range...........beats most others in this range on my software.

All the best, Ozzie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts