V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone went to see, rear ride or bought a bike off of Facebook marketplace? In my area there are a ton for sale. I’m wondering if most of them are scams or bullshit? I was also told to meet in a public place. What do you guys think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone went to see, rear ride or bought a bike off of Facebook marketplace? In my area there are a ton for sale. I’m wondering if most of them are scams or bullshit? I was also told to meet in a public place. What do you guys think

I've bought and sold many Harvey's and parts among other vehicles on marketplace. I highly recommend it

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was originally thinking of asking to meet a seller in public as opposed to their house, like maybe a Harley dealer. On one hand I would think if a seller is serious they wouldn’t mind(could be an issue in winter months) but in the other hand it could be a hassle for the seller to meet somewhere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would be (and was) more concerned as the “seller“ having strangers at my house.
I’ve sold many different items ( no Harley’s…but a car, furniture, excercise equip, etc) off of market place with no problems. Before I even answered their messages I would look them up …new account? or old established account?, get an idea who the were , where they were from, their posts, etc.
Just my 2 cents from my own experience with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be (and was) more concerned as the “seller“ having strangers at my house.
I’ve sold many different items ( no Harley’s…but a car, furniture, excercise equip, etc) off of market place with no problems. Before I even answered their messages I would look them up …new account? or old established account?, get an idea who the were , where they were from, their posts, etc.
Just my 2 cents from my own experience with it.
I don’t have Facebook. I can look at marketplace but can’t message.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hmmmm…… that’s another story then. On my ads I didn’t put my phone # in it. Prospective buyers would message through FB to ask if the item was still available, and we would proceed from there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm…… that’s another story then. On my ads I didn’t put my phone # in it. Prospective buyers would message through FB to ask if the item was still available, and we would proceed from there.
I’ve noticed no numbers were listed. Maybe I join Facebook and when I message them I tell them I really only joined to buy a bike? I could use my wife’s account but I’m sure that will be annoying for her.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve noticed no numbers were listed. Maybe I join Facebook and when I message them I tell them I really only joined to buy a bike? I could use my wife’s account but I’m sure that will be annoying for her.

Just use the wife’s account …… that’s what I do. She’s ok with it because I’m usually selling something she wants me to get rid of anyway .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like any other media a for sale listing could be a scam. I always advocate meeting the other party in a police or sheriff's department parking lot. Many have established designated spots that are covered by cameras. If the other party has ill intentions they will often refuse thus saving you a wasted trip or worse.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like any other media a for sale listing could be a scam. I always advocate meeting the other party in a police or sheriff's department parking lot. Many have established designated spots that are covered by cameras. If the other party has ill intentions they will often refuse thus saving you a wasted trip or worse.
I was thinking about doing this. But maybe perhaps in a Harley parking lot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Years ago I used to buy and sell off Craigslist. The last 5-10 years it has gone to **** in my area. I hate Fakebook, but have a fake account utilize Marketplace. I've bought a pickup truck, a propane tank, a refrigerator, a washer machine, a camper awning tarp,, among many other things. So far I'm batting 1000. Everything has been a great deal. Check out the sellers profile, use some common sense and you should be ok.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just met a guy. He was super nice. Even let me test ride the bike. Told him I’d love to buy the bike but im just waiting on my check from insurance company. He said no problem, the bike is yours when you’re ready. He marked it as sold on Facebook. Stand up guy for sure

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Well I just met a guy. He was super nice. Even let me test ride the bike. Told him I’d love to buy the bike but im just waiting on my check from insurance company. He said no problem, the bike is yours when you’re ready. He marked it as sold on Facebook. Stand up guy for sure

Nice! I'm not much of a FB user but creating an account is worth it just to have access to the Marketplace. Lots of deals out there but you do need to be smart about it. I've sold vehicles, bought vehicles, parts, etc.

I found my '19 RG Special on FB Marketplace. It was about 1.5 hrs away and after doing a little 'detective work' verifying it wasn't a scam, I chatted back and forth on FB messenger with the guy and drove to his place to check out the bike. Great deal...$24K for a 2019 Road Glide Special (114ci) that still had about a year of warranty and only 1,800 miles.

Reactions: O1dyna
1 - 16 of 16 Posts