V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who don't have a windshield or wear full face helmets what do you use for eye protection? Typically I wear just regular sunglasses during the day and old crappy safty glasses at night. I was looking at some of the glasses at the Harley dealer this weekend, and it seems like the kind that have the foam around the lens would do a good job of keeping the wind out of your eyes. Do any of you use this type of eye protection? How do you like it? I wasn't about to pay $115 for a pair of glasses at the dealer. Does anyone know where I could find a good price on something like this? Im either looking to buy one pair thats clear and one shaded, or a pair that you can change lenses on. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought Panoptx, early in the season at a dealership open house they had 20% off, still paid about 80.00 but they were well worth it for me. I wear hard contacts and always had a problem with the wind and my eyes.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I wear good, close fitting Revo sunglasses. If it's overcast or getting dark I have some cheap wrap-arounds with yellow lenses. The truth is, if I plan any freeway riding or after dark the windshield goes on. Too many bugs and rocks :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use American Optical safety glasses, the old ugly shop glasses with side shields. No wind under the glasses at all and you can get any shade lens. I love when people ask "are those Ray Bans".

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I looked all over...I agree...hard to spend over 120 bucks...
I ended up with the Wiley X SG-1...comes with dark and clear lenses for about 86 bucks..
I also use em in the winter for skiing too...
They keep out all the wind

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Cheap sunglasses. One of Dean's Laws of Physics states: The ability to lose a pair of sunglasses is inversely proportionate to the cost of said glasses. In other words, if i was to go temporarily insane and spend $100- on a pair of shades, I would either sit on them or drop them somewhere inside of five minutes. On the other hand, I've had a pair of $5- wraparounds for at least 12 years now - if I throw them as hard as I can, they'll come back like a boomerang.

Dean

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Unevex safty glasses ($8) with a light gray tint so I can use them day or night, but on nice sunny days I like my $36 pair of polarized shades from Wal-Mart . There are some killer safty glasses out there and I own about 5 pair from clear to dark and I always keep a clear or yellow pair in the saddle bags.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am forever looking for the perfect set of glasses. The best that I have found so far at Walmart in the fishing section, fit great, blue or red mirrored, polarized and cost $12. They work much better than my Wiley X.

JMS

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I use goggles with prescription photo grey lens, the ones that get darker in the sun, ans clearer at night. Got them many years ago for $75 or so. really work great, particularly since i wear glasses, and also since they work day and night. On the ocassion when i ride with just (prescription) sunglasses, the wind seems to bother my eyes somewhat, probably because i'm not used to it. greg

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Bought the 20 buck pair at the dealer. I perfer the blue blocker type, lightly tinted for night use too. I use a half shell helmet so I added a cloth sport type leash so they wouldn't fly off in the wind. DeanX and I are in the same spot when it comes to $ and sunglasses. The cheaper ones seem to last the longest. My cage glasses always come from the dollar store.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replys! I will check out some of the glasses you mentioned.

·
Registered
306 Posts
FXDeanX said:
Cheap sunglasses. One of Dean's Laws of Physics states: The ability to lose a pair of sunglasses is inversely proportionate to the cost of said glasses. In other words, if i was to go temporarily insane and spend $100- on a pair of shades, I would either sit on them or drop them somewhere inside of five minutes. On the other hand, I've had a pair of $5- wraparounds for at least 12 years now - if I throw them as hard as I can, they'll come back like a boomerang.

Dean
Truer words were never spoken.
I have a pair of $50 Anarchy's, they work pretty well for daytime use, for night time I have some yellow lensed Fossle's. When I bought the anarchy's from Sunglass Slut (hut) the damn punk dork that worked there went thru a 5 minute spill on how to care for the lenses so they don't get scratched, :rolleyes: I knew that as soon as I got on the road a bug would hit them or sand or something.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Riding glasses

Motorcycle eyewear needs to perform a minimum of three tasks: it should provide a high degree of protection from flying objects that would otherwise strike your eyeballs; it needs to prevent windblast from causing your eyes to tear up when riding at speed; and it should provide adequate protection from glare and UV light during daylight hours.

Safety glasses of the type commonly found in factories usually do fine as far as impact protection, but unless you have very close-fitting ones, they rarely do a good job of sealing out wind-blast. Also, if they are clear, they do diddly squat for glare protection. Additionally, plastic safety glasses also tend to cause distortion in your peripheral vision. This is not a big deal if you are operating a drill press, but can be a major bummer if you don't see that car sneaking up on your right side as you make a lane change on I-95.

Common sunglasses usually do not provide sufficient impact protection. Sure, they might stop a bug dead in his tracks, but an impact from a small pebble thrown up by a car tire is probably going to make them shatter, with potentially horrifying results. Likewise, most sunglasses do not do a very good job of sealing out windblast, especially when you turn your head.

Good glasses meeting all the criteria listed above do not have to cost a great deal of money. I've bought Harley brand glasses for under $40 that had padding around the frames and impact rating. I've also bought $100 Panoptix riding glasses, and frankly the Panoptix fit better, especially when worn under a helmet.

Unlike a helmet, you are going to use your riding glasses every time you ride your bike. Your eyesight is one of the most valuable assets you have - please think about this before you "save some money" when picking glasses for riding.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VRodDrew, Those are some very good points! Thats why im looking to ditch the sunglasses and find something better. I think you have convinced me that if I can't find something that meets those standards for a reasonable price I will be willing to spend the cash for some good ones. Bye the way where in Wisconsin do you live? Im just west of Madison.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will have to agree with FXDeanX on this one. When I had my RK surgery years ago I went out and bought my first pair of sunglasses. I buy the cheap glasses that you can get at any dealership for 6 to 8 bucks, I have a dark pair and a clear pair. They last me a couple months then I get some more, scratches, rocks, But I have solved the losing them problem with a soft bag from AirFoil that clips on your pants that I talked some counter person into giving me. Also with the little bag you can carry both with you at the same time. I just have to keep telling truckers that wave me down on the highway that its not my wallet. I am use to the safty glass feeling since I wear safety glasses and a hairnet and a hood (not pointed) for 12 hours a day at work. Also I wear the latex gloves just in case anybody wants to trust me!! J/K

Jeff
ATX

1 - 20 of 29 Posts