V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next four weeks I must decide if I want to purchase an extended warranty for my new bike. So how about it out there? Anyone with a 1998 or newer bike have to utilize, or wish they had the extended warranty? What kind of problems did you have?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Good looking King. I decided not to get the extended warranty for two reasons. 1, I plan to hop up the engine and wasn't convinced the warranty would be valid, and 2, I don't have a personal history of keeping stuff very long.

If you were pretty sure you will keep it and not modify it much, the extended warranty might make sense.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I went for an extra two years I figure by than I will get the urge to get that new 100 cu in flht that I hope they are coming out with.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't need no schtinkin' "extended warranty"....fugg 'em.....never had a problem w/ the '00 FLSTC I had for 2 yrs, or the '02 FLHT I've had now since Feb.....it's a rip as far as I'm concerned......

·
Registered
167 Posts
kellyb, great looking scoot!! I've got a new ring king classic on the way (soon I hope).

I have a '99 fat boy that I bought a new from the HD dealer and they have done all the maintenance. If I could do it over I would have bought the extended service, there were several costly repairs that would have been covered - front and rear head gasket leaks, starter, primary gasket replacement, replacement of crank seal, etc.

Both of my riding buddies purchased the warranty and it has saved them some money over and above the warranty cost - I'm sure there are many who have not covered the cost - it comes down to an emotional decision, since you can't know if and when you may need repairs.

Good luck with your decision (flip of a coin).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I have read it looks like I will be going with an aftermarket provider.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It boils down to one other thing as well. Do you do your own work? If you keep the bike fairly stock less pipes reflash , A/C and dont want to work on it then the peice of mind may be worth it.

Why do anyone sell extened warrenty? They make $$$$ . Think about it. The vast majorty of warrenties never have a clame. The liklyhood of needing such service is small. For the level of peice of mind it very well can be a small price to pay for some folks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't buy extended warranties of any kind on anything. If the very next appliance, vehicle or anything disintegrates the very second after the warranty expires, then I figure I can afford to replace it with all the money I have saved over the years from not buying their extended warranties. When someone attempts to sell me one of their warranties I ask them if there is a problem with this product? is it defective?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I am not planning to hype up the engine in any way. I chose to get the extended warranty to cover the years that I'm paying on the bike. I figured if I'm paying on my H-D on "X" amount of years, I want the warranty to cover it. But that is my decision.......

·
Registered
602 Posts
Most new products that fail, fail within the first 6 months. That's easily within most standard warranty periods. IMHO, extended warranties are just money makers for the shops, be it a computer, washing machine or a scooter. All ya gotta do is take care of your stuff.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DLL66 said:
I chose to get the extended warranty to cover the years that I'm paying on the bike. I figured if I'm paying on my H-D on "X" amount of years, I want the warranty to cover it. But that is my decision.......
DLL66,

When I bought my bike, HD financing would give you a better rate if you bought the extended warranty. I did the same thing as you, bought the extended warranty for the life of the loan.

I do plan on going to stage II, but I'm thinking of waiting until next winter. At that itime I should have approx 20K miles on the original motor (Stage I).

wyo

·
Registered
194 Posts
I purchased an extended service plan on my first pick-up truck many moons ago. Geuss what, never needed to use it so it was simply money wasted. So for me, I've never bought an extended serice plan since. I'm sure there are those who were saved by purchasing it but not in my case.

The way I look at it, you're simply paying in advance for any problems. If you've got the extra cash for it, it could serve as a "piece of mind" thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts