V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the fence on getting ESP got a couple of weeks left wondering what everyone else has done. 06 Street Glide collecting parts for winter build (cause I know someone will ask). Glad the site is back up .:thanks:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
There have been other threads on this topic. My two cents worth is that extended service plans would not exist if they didn't make a profit for the Moco. I opted not to buy one at the end of my one-year warranty. I haven't had a lick of trouble with the bike. My vote would be no on purchasing an extended service plan.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Extended Service Plan

I'm in a similar position. I have an '06 bike. I received a three month extension when I purchased new. I think it was an HD offer. You might have a little longer to think about it. Might want to double check..

I'm thinking of purchasing from an HD dealer out of state. Got name from this site. No state tax and a sightly reduced price. Save over $200 for five year plan. What kind of pricing are you looking at? I'm told it's recogized at all HD dealerships. My dealer will match quoted price but would not eat the state tax which is 7%.

I requested policy details from the third party insurance company. Seemed strange to me they do not have a web site. They called me back and told me that they are looking at a price increase. Probably just a sales pitch. Price hasn't moved in years. but..

Greg

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of state

Gwright what dealer what state I would be looking at 8.25% here in cali what a joke . If you could post info or pm it that would be great.I already have a manual.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
The extra 5 years is true misnomer. It runs for five years from date of bike purchase and for the first two years you are already covered by the HD moco warrenty.

Those policies make a lot of money for the insurance companies.

jmtc

Bwana01

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You dont need it unless you need it... I have read alot of posts on this forum where major components were replaced under waranty. Myself included when I had my 2003 FLHTCUI..

Its a gamble and depends on how much you ride...I ride about 15,000 per year and felt it was worth it, plus the dealer was offering 50% off the 7 year made it really worth it for me. Just had my radio replaced on the extended for my 2006 which now has 36,000 miles on it. Not other problems so far.

Doug

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I got it when I bought it new and am very very glad I did... Its already paid for itself. After 24k miles, I got a bad leak on the bottom of the motor, along the seem on the underside of the motor. Had to split the cases to fix it. Essentially tear the entire motor down and put it all back together. Without the warranty would have cost me well over the cost of the extended warranty to fix it. It wasn't the type of leak you could just ignore either. While they were in there they also replaced my cam chain tensioners under warranty :)wootdnc:).

With the skyrocketing cost of dealer and indy hourly rates (about $100 on average in my area), a relatively minor problem could easily cost over a grand to fix... The extended service plan is cheap insurance. I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing my bike is covered for 7 years. With the amount of riding I do, I should be well over 100k miles by then.

I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law...

bwana01 said:
The extra 5 years is true misnomer. It runs for five years from date of bike purchase and for the first two years you are already covered by the HD moco warrenty.
Thats incorrect. The extended warranty kicks in after your regular warranty is done. 5 year extended warranty gives you a total of 7 years.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
I seldom even consider extend warranties. But last month we purchased the 08 CVO Ultra Classic. It's a keeper for us and when you pay $35K for a bike, especially the Ultra where the bike is buried with electronic accesories (a replacement stereo is $1000 or so), the Extended Warranty made sense. We bought a 7 year (2 it came with plus an additional 5 years) for $999.00.

I thought that was a good deal. It would be easy to spend $1000 on this bike if something went wrong after the 2 year standard warranty was up.

It may be a bad bet for some, but for $999, I'm glad I took the insurance on this bike...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Not What My HD Extended Warranty Says

My extended warranty purchased from the dealer and having an obligator named "Contiental Service Provider" in Scottsdale, AZ (Contiental Casualty Comp. Chicago, Ill.). It clearly states that the "Effective In Service Date" is when the contract begins. The expiration date is just that. I bought mine 5-09-07 (in service date when contract begins, Expiration date is 5-09-12 and I bought a 5 year extended warranty. It is typed on the contract. The in service date was when I took delivery of the motorbike, not 2 years after I took delivery of the motorbike. They will sell an extended warranty up to the end of the factory warranty though and after you have taken delivery of the motorbike, but for a larger amount of money. There are no less than 4 places on the contract where the date is typed on sale of contract..............and that is the in service date. Maybe I'm wrong though and cannot read, been there before. I live in Texas and it may be different for other states.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Nope your right... The extended runs concurrent with the factory warranty. There are however benifits with the extended that the factory warranty does not offer. It will cost you more in the long run if you wait till the factory warranty runs out. You will then be purchasing a warranty for a USED bike therefor more money.

Doug

·
Registered
772 Posts
Extended Warranties

I have 30,000 miles on my 05RG and its never left me on the road dead or near dead. Simple fact of the matter is, is you take care of your bike, it will take care of you and you will not need an extended warrantee. The only thing that ever needed replacing was the radio volume switch on the left handle bar. To me, those warranties are are purely a waste of money. :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

You may consider buying a HOG membership for about 126 bucks for 3 years if my memory serves me correctly. That way, if you ever break down you can pretty much get your bike hauled to the nearest stealer. Now, on the other hand, if you are a worry wart and you don't really know how to take care of a motorcycle, then go do the right thing.#[email protected]

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I agree with others about the ESP being a waste of money for most people. There are only two reasons i would purchase an ESP. 1) the bike was my primary/only transportation 2) i was planning some serious mileage - like 20k a year.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have been told by the dealer if you do not use the extended warrenty
that you purchase from the Moco and write them within 30 days of the experation
they will give you a refund. I had to take my bike to another dealer for some work
and as opposed to using the ESP he offered the parts at cost and 000 on the labor
(it was a shifting lever issue, nothing major) so I could not lose my refund for my
ESP.?.?. Mine does not expire until 2009 but have yet to use it.. The shifting problem
developed due to shoty work from the original dealer, not from factory defect.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends if you ride a lot and if you are going to make many mods. Mine came with it (bike was used) but have modified the bike so much not much left that is covered, did use it to get kick stand replaced LOL

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Modifications can nulify your warranty.

Lack of documented maintenance will nulify your warranty.

You also have an option to get tire and wheel coverage for about $200 additional. I got a flat on my old bike that couldn't be fixed and it would have paid for it.

I bought the 7 year plan with tire & wheel, about $1200. I don't plan any modifications and ride about 12,000 miles a year. That's about 84,000 miles over the life. Will I have a covered repair to save the cost? I would think so, we see it happen to cars regularly and they get it covered. Could be a minor savings, could be major.

Chris

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Boomr04 said:
I have been told by the dealer if you do not use the extended warrenty
that you purchase from the Moco and write them within 30 days of the experation
they will give you a refund. I had to take my bike to another dealer for some work
and as opposed to using the ESP he offered the parts at cost and 000 on the labor
(it was a shifting lever issue, nothing major) so I could not lose my refund for my
ESP.?.?. Mine does not expire until 2009 but have yet to use it.. The shifting problem
developed due to shoty work from the original dealer, not from factory defect.
The refund is prorated over the # of years/months remaining. If you've done major mods, might as well apply for it now. Read your documents! It's all laid out there.

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Kickstand

Quote: Depends if you ride a lot and if you are going to make many mods. Mine came with it (bike was used) but have modified the bike so much not much left that is covered, did use it to get kick stand replaced LOL

I too have the esp, have wondered if the kickstand, broke and the bike fell over, would it pay for handlebars,gas tank,saddle bags, etc.?????????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts