V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new road king standard and was looking at the extended warranty. Is it worth it, has anybody had any problems with their 2012 road kings? Thanks for any info.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Do a search for "extended warranty." You'll get a lot of varied opinions - it's been discussed several times here at length.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Also remember you do not have to buy the warranty from the dealer you bought the bike from. Check around there are competetive prices to be had if you look.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I didn't get it on my 2012 FLHX.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I've never been much of an extended warranty person until I've seen what my dad has had to go through with his 09 Trike, he's just about gotten all the money back in repairs as what he paid for the extended warranty in the 3 years and 25,000 miles he's had the trike. Notice only 25,000 miles, its low because the trike has spent some serious time in the shop screwing him out of some trips he had planed.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Odds are against you ever getting your money back. Companies offer extended warranties because they make money off of them. It's like Vegas. Sure some people win, but most don't. That's how Vegas builds the opulent buildings and dancing fountains and pays their electric bill.

Mine is a 2005. I didn't buy the extended warranty. Other than preventative maintenance, I haven't put a dime into repairs.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Got my money back and then some on my '06 Road Glide.
Lifters replaced.
3 shift shaft seals.
1 shift shaft.
2 radios.

Bought it for my new limited and already had the front tire replaced 2 weeks ago under warranty.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I think they are not worth it.

I never have purchased one, and have yet to do enough repairs to any of our bikes to pay for one.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I have one on my '09 FLHTC. I have never used it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I never buy them. Never had a problem with my 07 yet. If you can afford to fix things as they happen, I say dont do it. They are betting you wont use it and they are usually right. Thats why they make bank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's kind of like insurance ain't worth it till you need it. I have it on mine and both my cars.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
You have to remember, it stays stock, or the factory approved upgrades at time of delivery new. Does that mean they won't cover it if you do upgrades later, maybe, maybe not.

I bought the 7 year plan with tire and wheel upgrade. That is really a 5 year add on since the factory is 2 years.

I've had two tires changed out with about 12K miles on them when I went through a box of screws that fell off the back of a truck. No deductable on tire and wheel coverage BTW. So I'm a little to the good.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
I remember one of my teachers in Jr High. Taught Business Ed. His point on insurance was that one should buy it for things he could not afford to be without. And then buy the highest deductible he could afford to lose.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Trying to keep it simple if ride a lot and plan on keeping it more than 5 years extended warranty is worth it .. If ride 5-10 K a year and probably be trading in 3-4 years is not .. My extended warranty has paid for itself in the 3rd year with 42K on the clock ..

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
It depends on how much you ride.

I put 46,000 miles on my 07 in four years, so for me, an extended warranty was a no brainer. At a cost of roughly 1200 bucks, a 4year/unlimited mileage package (which includes wheels and tires ) is cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I made my mind up, it has a two year warranty, so if it starts to give much trouble I might buy an extended one before it runs out. It will cost about 150 more to do this I was told. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything. Never can tell, all the electric **** on the new ones!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts