V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First post here.
Got a '99 twin cam (carbureted) dyna w/7400 miles on the clock. Started intermittently running funky. Dealer service scanned and found code for bad cam position sensor. I have the Pinnacle Protection Plan extended warranty. I was just sure this would be a covered component until I called the warranty plan's customer service dept. and they read verbatim to me out of my plan provision:

Covered electrical components: alternator, starter, manually operated switches, coils, rectifiers, magneto, voltage regulator, electronic ignition control modules, electronic fuel injection control module and sensors, wiring harness, and cooling fan motor.

NO FRIGGIN' CAM POSITION SENSOR! Am I screwed or can someone here help me with a good argument as to why this should be a covered component since it would seem to be an vital element in the ignition control system? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
electronic fuel injection control module and sensors
If the bike were EFI the cam position sensor would be a part of the EFI, just like on a carbuteted bike it is a part of the ignition. Exact same function, and the EFI or ignition module can not work without a signal from the sensor. It is obviously not a maintenance item. It's just the wording, if it is covered on a EFI bike it should be covered on a carb bike. It's probably the same part# and has the same function.

Those service reps are minimum wage people trying to earn their next meal at MickeyD's and have no knowledge or authority to deviate from what is written on a piece of paper. Ask to speak to a supervisor. If they want to hide behind semantics then they are a junk company.

This is not used very much, but if you really wanted to push the issue over a minor part, it should also be covered under the factory emissions warranty. People don't know this and dealers aren't about to tell you.

They don't cost much anyway, up to you if it's worth it to argue over it in particular if you have some sort of deductible.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The other thing they are doing wrong is that a specific item does not have to be included in a list, as long as it is not specifically excluded like they do with spark plugs and fuel and air filters. If it were a major thing you would win in court on this basis alone.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HIPPO. I KNEW you'd be the first to reply. The points you brought up are just the ammo I am needing. I called the dealer back to get an estimate of repairs in case the warranty won't cover: $37 for the sensor, 1-2 hrs. labor @ $48 per. Not as bad as I imagined. Being new to Harleys and hearing the horror stories about outrageous repair bills, I had visions of shelling out 3-400 bucks. Dealer had me fax him my warranty card and said he always contacts the plan administrator before repairs are started. Said he would do what he could to get them to cover it. (Yeah, right!) I will also be calling them with the things you pointed out. We'll see. Not really worth argueing with them too much and I won't. But hey, I'd rather just pay my $25 deductible and let them cough up the rest.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Dyna Bill said:
Being new to Harleys and hearing the horror stories about outrageous repair bills, I had visions of shelling out 3-400 bucks.
Well... I wouldn't say outrageous unless you're getting nailed for unnecessary work. I have 10 years of automotive experience and I can testify honestly, having just gotten my @ss whipped by a left side seal job on my 01 RC: I can say with authority that there are few jobs on that bike that will result in less than 2 hours of flat rate time. Just to throw one out there - try a drive belt. 2 point something at $48 (my dealer is $65) and your already over 100 bucks before you buy the $175 belt. And that's if you're lucky enough they don't find something else broken while they're in there.

I agree with Hippo - your cam position sensor is a part of the systems listed even though it's not specifically named. Get your $25 ready - you just won a bet against the warranty company :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts