V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea what extended warranties are going for? I guess I'm looking for info on 2, 3, or 4 years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I paid under retail for my V-Rod and it looks like the dealership tried to screw me on the warranty. They were trying to tell me they might be able to get me a deal on the $4000 4 year...

What jerks. I wanted to buy at the time I got my bike.

To be clear, the 2 year is actually 3 years of coverage when combined with the manufacturer's warranty, right?

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
From what I understand...wrong! A two year warranty is a two year warranty and includes the year that normally come standard.

Also, just today, I talked to the head service guy at a local H-D dealership. He said the warranty can be voided by ANY non-stock items added to your bike! He told me that even if I have him install the H-D Screaming Eagle pipes, this would most likely invalidate my warranty if I were to have any engine problems down the line! That seems unbelievable to me! I'm going to check with another service dep't. at another H-D dealer. Anybody else ever been told such a thing???

·
Registered
10 Posts
mdrsteve said:
From what I understand...wrong! A two year warranty is a two year warranty and includes the year that normally come standard.

Also, just today, I talked to the head service guy at a local H-D dealership. He said the warranty can be voided by ANY non-stock items added to your bike! He told me that even if I have him install the H-D Screaming Eagle pipes, this would most likely invalidate my warranty if I were to have any engine problems down the line! That seems unbelievable to me! I'm going to check with another service dep't. at another H-D dealer. Anybody else ever been told such a thing???
I don't think he is correct. By using non-approved aftermarket items then that would void it. But using Screamin Eagle or any other Harley accesorry should not void the warranty.

·
Registered
906 Posts
2 Local Dealers here said anything you get from the HD catalog would not void your warranty -they are approved by HD.

A good example is the SE pipes -they don't void your warranty but Samson pipes do.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
I also was under the impression that any H-D parts would be fine, but the head of the service dep't. said I was wrong. Technically, according to him, the bike must be factory stock for the warranty to apply.

Does anyone have a copy of the warranty to see what the official wording on it is??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The place I bought my bike said that HD accessories installed by the dealership at the time of delivery were covered under the warranty. HD accessories added after that were covered by their own warranty, but not labor if you install them yourself. I can understand that.

On the other hand, $599 for one year is BS!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's my understanding of my warranty..

--You get one year auto------- i bought an additional 2 years for $675 , giving me 3 years total-------with the option to buy up to 7 or 8 years at a prorated rate-------

i thought this was a good deal , especially since this was a new issue bike , and i plan on keep'n it for awhile......... I'll probably buy more.

The other thing about the ext. warranty , is that is transferrable-------this makes it more attractive to a buyer if I can tell them a warranty comes with it........

heres a scan of my invoice-----

a pic is worth a thousand words......

Hutch

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I'ts no wonder people become so frustrated with the MOCO. The cost of warranty should not be a damned guessing game! The cost should run the same regardless of which dealer you buy from. Personally the warranty may not be worth the cost, but at least Hutch seems to have received a very reasonable price (thanx for posting that invoice.)

Hutch, can you tell me:
1. Does your warranty have a mileage limit?
2. Does your warranty run after your free 1 year, or concurrently.
3. Did you receive a detailed written description of what is and isn't included/ excluded?
4. Did you use the HD financing, and if so was the warranty required?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Talked with my sales rep. this morning and apparently there is about a 100% markup on the extended warranties and the price is very negotiable as has been posted here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts