V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Priced a '03 Softtail Standard today. The dealer has 7.5 APR IF you get the 3 year warranty and the dealers service plan (They will come and get the bike for service and return when done). It's a 45 minute drive to the dealer for me. I haven't seen a detailed cost break down but the best I can figure is this is costing me big time. Plus 2500 over MSRP I'me getting the feeling of being taken?
This is my first HD and had myself talked into a Softail but may have to step down, money wise, to a 1200 Sportster.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
414 Posts
Steve,

What did the dealer quote you for an APR if you did not got with the extended warranty and the service plan? I believe that the dealer or Harley credit usually drop 1 point if you go for the extended warranty.
Also dealerships can raise your APR for financial gain on their part. Somone correct me if I am wrong but the dealer can add up to 2 points for themselves on top of what the credit agency is offering.
I guess it all depends on your area but personally I would not buy from a dealership that charges more than MSRP. I think it is ridiculous. Check around for a dealership that charges MSRP. Another practice dealerships will do is add a bunch of extras to the bike so they can make a profit that way. Atleast you get something out of it.
Final thing...... I would say that if you really want a softail then do not settle for a Sportster (not that a sporty is bad). If you are anything like me you will be unhappy and wish you had got what you originally wanted.

hope this helps,

DWhite

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Steve, you only get to live once and that time may seem short, so get what you really want and wory about paying for it later ;) Just don't compramize on your purchase. Are you getting a good deal? Who really can answer that but you, it only matters to you and to hell with what any one else thinks ;) :eek: If you feel you got a good deal, then so be it. Welcome to the Best board on the net. :cool: :)

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
If you are paying OVER MSRP in todays market, I personally think you are making a big mistake. There are MANY dealers selling at MSRP and I'm sure you can do better with a little shopping around. Also, the price on the extended warranty is negotiable so don't get taken. If you are worried about asking them to do your service after buying from another dealer, don't be. You should be able to find some local "non-harley" bike shops that will give you great service, at a better price than the dealer, and they will know your name. Also, buy the service manual when you get the bike and learn to do the light service yourself, as a minimum. You will save money, get to know your bike, and stop being a slave to the dealer.

No, I am not anti-dealer. One of my favorite places is a dealership, but the ones that are marking up their prices and trying to rip you off can go to hell as far as I am concerned. Shop around and also find out where your local non-dealer bike shops are. Stop in and get to know them. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Not sure what your options would be. I bought mine @ 1,000 over and that is WAY better then the other 3 dealers in my area. Called a lot of places before I bought and most of them said they can't/won't sell to you if you live more then 60 miles from them...

Hogzilla said:
If you are paying OVER MSRP in todays market, I personally think you are making a big mistake. There are MANY dealers selling at MSRP and I'm sure you can do better with a little shopping around. Also, the price on the extended warranty is negotiable so don't get taken. If you are worried about asking them to do your service after buying from another dealer, don't be. You should be able to find some local "non-harley" bike shops that will give you great service, at a better price than the dealer, and they will know your name. Also, buy the service manual when you get the bike and learn to do the light service yourself, as a minimum. You will save money, get to know your bike, and stop being a slave to the dealer.

No, I am not anti-dealer. One of my favorite places is a dealership, but the ones that are marking up their prices and trying to rip you off can go to hell as far as I am concerned. Shop around and also find out where your local non-dealer bike shops are. Stop in and get to know them. Good luck!

·
Registered
688 Posts
NCFatBoy, Don't feel taken. It cost me 956.00 out the door for a 5 year extended warranty. But the way I feel is if I got to make payments, (not everyone is independently wealthy) I want to be covered for the expensive stuff for the time that I am still making payments. My Brother was just quoted almost 400.00 for a starter install, 2 days out of his 1 year warranty!! No slack cut. Hows that for a reaming!

·
Registered
688 Posts
By the way the dealer that was so very "nice" #@$%$# to my brother was Folsom H.D. in northern CA.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Not sure what your options would be. I bought mine @ 1,000 over and that is WAY better then the other 3 dealers in my area. Called a lot of places before I bought and most of them said they can't/won't sell to you if you live more then 60 miles from them...

Hogzilla said:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are paying over the price in the book find another dealer, don't let them rip you off. If enough people would just say no , all that extra pricing would stop. Don't worry if you look hard enough you can find a decent dealer. maddog

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi boydn1, I was wanting to know what part of Illinois you live in? Me= Clinton ;) Welcome to the board :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I've a lot better deal going to look tomorrow.
Boydn1 and markcuda, I'm in Highland Il and the first dealer I was talking about is in Mt. Vernon

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts