V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the money to get the extended waranty? I am getting my bike around the 12th of Nov., and I was just wondering. I am sooo pump! Thanks.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Depends on how much the dealer is chargeing you for it and how much you like doing your own work.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well if you are financeing that it is quite a bit more than $1,200. The first year is covered and most major things will happen within the first year. I used to think it was OK because of the don't use don't loose clause. My understanding is that is gone now. Personally, I would hang onto the cash.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I just talked to the dealer about the "don't use, don't lose" feature & you are correct. H-D is not currently offering that as part of the warrenty. He did tell me that you have 90 days to decide if you want the warrenty. After 90 & up to 1 year the price for the ext. warrenty goes up about $90. After a year, the cost really jumps up.

I plan to wait for about 11 months & then decide if the warrenty would be a good risk.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would pass on the extended waranty its not worth the price. (murphy's law' i think) the time you will need the waranty it will have lapsed.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
present bike is not warrantied,,,and i have never been one to buy them,,,however on the nxt one i think i will ,,,since i travel alot and part of it is the feeling of (hard to explain) being out on a limb???fer removed from a level of safety?? any way i think it might be worth it for peace of mind when im 1000 miles from home to know that of anything happened my bike will be fixed and ill be back on the road with out coming up with possibly alot of money

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm really confused now... first off.. what exactly,did you guys mean about the don't use ,don't lose.. clause...even though H-D may not offer it I'd like to know the details.. with my bike coming this week, i'll have to decide about the extended warrenty... now I'm wondering should I... any other info you guys could provide me so I can make the right choice??

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Fugly... Do I have to give just you a kiss... or do I have to kiss everyone.... ???? Thanks cromagnum... for reply

·
Registered
128 Posts
NOT worth it!!!

I NEVER get an ext. warranty on any hot damn thing I buy.....I always do my own work, and like JimmyK says, it usually goes bad within the first year, so save your bread & use it for more beer, etc. on your trips!!

They USED to give back your full warranty if you didn't use ANY of it....but I guess that doesn't apply now....I STILL didn't go for it even when it was during that program....FUGG 'EM!!:D :D

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
The way I see it is it depends on the length of your loan. If I'm making payments for certain amount of total years, I want to have warranty to cover that length.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Keep in mind that if you get their warranty then you won't be able to "touch" your bike and do ANYTHING to it until the warranty runs out.
I know, it depends on the dealer you're using but what if you're out in bumf*ck and it takes a dump on you? The closest dealer might be a jerk and say that you changed out the a/c to a non HD brand and not cover you under the warranty guidlines.
Hey, I've heard of this happening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I usually do NOT get an extended warranty on anything new, BUT when you spend this kind of $ on a bike I would recommend investing a few more $ into a warranty. I went with a 3 year warranty and it cost me $575. You would think that if anything would go wrong, it would be within the first few years. Why go with a warranty longer then 3 years? A lot of riders sell or trade their bikes and lose out on the remaining warranty $. A little insurance is better then NO insurance...Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts