1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B

·
0 Posts
I bought one through the dealer when I bought my bike, only because they were offering a deal at the time. Buying the extended warranty triggered a lower interest rate on the bike (low enough that the savings paid for the warranty), and they will refund the cost of the warranty if I don't use it. So for me getting the warranty will eventually come out to either free or they'll pay me.

Usually I don't get extended warranties, because it's really just overpriced insurance. If you add up the cost of buying an extended warranty on everything you could possibly get one for (bike, car, TV, stereo, etc.) it's a huge chunk of money. When I buy a big-ticket item I just try to put some of the money I would have spent on a warranty in the bank (how anal is that?...)so I can get something fixed if I need to. If I don't need to use it I have the cash, instead of teh warranty company. Sort of like self insurance...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have mine through the dealer as well. I'm in the same boat as Boismier the EW dropped my APR so they were gonna get the $$ outta me either way wether it was the EW or by the higher interest rate...that and the EW was only around $300 or so for the term of the loan.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Me Too

I have the 7 yr thru HD as well. I have only 510 miles since picking it up 2 months ago. Hope i don't need for some time to come.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Misguided

Are you talking about a service plan rather than a warranty plan? I bought a service plan through H-D. Covers everything done at the various mileage levels, even the oil change. I know its the lazy man's approach but (1) I don't know jack about wrenching and (2) it represents a 45% discount off the dealer's normal pricing.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Tell me more about the 'service plan' that you bought. I'm shopping tomorrow and I need some info, ie; is it transferable, etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm in NY today and the papers are in AZ. I don't recall whether the service agreement was transferable to a new owner, but I believe it would be honored at a different dealership if, for example, you moved to another state. It covers all the services, eg.- 1,000 miles.. 2500..5000..etc, and I think its for 3 years. Just ask your dealer about it. One thing to consider is how many miles you'll be putting on your ride over the period of the agreement. Good luck!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Our bikes are so old, it doesn't matter. The old man prefers to work on them himself and I'm not afraid to pick up a wrench either:)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
HDgirl said:
<snip> I'm not afraid to pick up a wrench either:)
Good for you, HDgirl! I'm not afraid to sign a credit card slip or flash my warranty card. ;) Some of us have more mechanical skill than others. More power to ya'. You and your guy, and any one who wrenches their own, has my respect. As you can see from this thread, though, there are many riders who appreciate the "security", albeit perhaps false security, that an extended warranty brings. With Harleys having the ability to last indefinitely (I just posted on another thread about a new member's '36 knuckle), being able to reach your own is a very valuable skill.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's alot easier to wrench on the older bikes, a few times the Pan has failed on us and My husband got the wrench out along side the road and we were back on the road in no time. The Heritage is a different story, that breaks down and were calling his brother to come pick us up with the trailer.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
nyaz, thanks for your response. I did mean transferable to another dealer as the one I'm visiting today is about 75 miles away and a service commute would suck. I do pass by there frequently in the summer on the way to the beach, but who in their right mind would waste a beach day at the dealer? I will definitely ask questions. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts