V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well bent push rod, collapsed lifter and now this. Man life is hard to take some days...........

Both front bolts snapped, head will be off to Aaron as soon as I get confirmation.

OH well **** happens

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
6h Cam?

Thats sucks.

Are you running a 6hg? If so, its not the first time I ve heard rocker support failure with this cam on the forums.

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is the infamous TW-6HG

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
SILVER BULLET said:
You gotta love the 6HG !!!!!
Well when I am not breaking parts it is great, gave me 9000 miles of smiles without a beat other then the TCFI, but man it is hurting me right now.

Sedeluxe05, yes as I am spinning the wrench I don't mind the work and I think it is my luck not the norm. Although this cam has, and is destructive when something goes wrong. In this case failed(pumped, collapsed?) lifter and a bent push rod was the start.

In all honesty I should have stopped and shut it down. As I said in my other thread all parameters were right just it was noisy. I mad a semi pissed decision it was going to get me home, it did. Now I do what I have to do to ride.

·
Registered
780 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
silverbullet is this a common problem with thw 6hg. im getting ready to install one in my 05 deluxe.
laf are you still going to use the 6hg or go to something else?
YES ,6HG cam has very fast ramps and is hard on the valve train. They make good power,but you have to pay the price ! Have seen several of them break the rocker arm supports.

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SILVER BULLET said:
YES ,6HG cam has very fast ramps and is hard on the valve train. They make good power,but you have to pay the price ! Have seen several of them break the rocker arm supports.
So in my other thread when I asked what may have happened first, the lifter or the push rod, as I had no idea at that time I was facing this in the top end, this could have started the push rod/lifter failure?

Only thing confusing on all this for me is I WAS not on it, steady highway speed, 2500 RPM, maybe 70 or so, and it just started to get noisy.

I am not sure what more I can do, when I saw this I thought forged plate, but hell even the front two rocker support bolts snapped so I cant see that as an answer.

I guess that is why I assumed it to be a catastrophic failure of the lifter or push rod, but could I have snapped or weakened the plate in some of my previous romps, and it just reared its ugly head?

Any of your thoughts on this would be great as I am at a loss.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
DrDevon is a metallurgist, and may be able to shed light on whether the plate failed first. - Is this overload, fatigue, both? Im guessing fatigue around the rocker shaft boss and overload near the front of the plate??

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
atengnr said:
DrDevon is a metallurgist, and may be able to shed light on whether the plate failed first. - Is this overload, fatigue, both? Im guessing fatigue around the rocker shaft boss and overload near the front of the plate??

Thank you for the reply,

If indeed it is fatigue and if that is a choice, I pick that one. And to follow that out, a forged support plate would make sense.

If indeed it is overload then the question is, would the forged hold, and then would the bolts?

250 for a set of Rivera's is some big money, but for what I have in new lifters, new push rods, new factory rocker support plate, shipping on the head for freshening and inspection, gaskets, don't seem like a lot now.

If I knew it would not fail again I would do it, but I just don't know enough about metals ?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Im no metallurgist, but I know that a metallurgist could look at the fracture surface and determine if it fatigue failed first....which perhaps may help explain if this caused the lifter/pushrod issue.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Damn LAF. :yikes: Hope ya get it fixed soon.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have over nighted him not one but two tubes of the latest and greatest titanium super glue I once saw a guy stuck to a beam with this stuff. I half think maybe , I guess it should work hmmmmm yea why not give it a try if not I guess you will like the other box that I shipped to you LOL.

I have to wonder though if the rocker support failed, or did the lifter go and the beating that the support took after is what broke it?? Maybe Lee you can loosen the rear pushrod up and fire it up and hold it wide open with top rocker box off and video tape it and let us see what happens?? SOUNDS like a great idea to me LMAO!!!

I see a 98 inch kit and 37's in your future I do I do. Take care buddy I will talk with you soon

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
LAF, I sure hate it for ya. I really do. When your bike breaks down, there is nothing you can compare that sinking feeling to.

I take it you found this during the install of you new lifters and pushrods. Hmmm. I don't know. Could be an aggressive cam issue with the stock support not being strong enough to handle the loading. If this diesel mechanic had to guess I'd say the rocker support took a dump first and bound up the pushrod causing it to bend. Maybe Doc will chime in on this.

·
Bike Driver
114 Posts
Damn this is getting worse and worse ...
Sorry it went this bad for you LAF.

9000 miles only ... hmmm who needs that...+SMSH+
makes me wonder how common these kind of breakdowns really are... ? :dry:

What is the issue with the TW6HG :blink:
is it the agressive ramps and the heavy spring pack needed
or is it the .590 lift...?

my guess is on the ramps and springs, but the question is,
if thats the case, whats the lowest seat pressure for the 6HG ???
In order to "try to" avoid disaster I mean and still be able to rev it up.

Maybe it's time to reconsider the use of TW6HG
the TW5G looks better and better ...
and so does the S&S 585G especially after seeing FXDRYDR's dyno :thumbsup:
for Dynas anyway.

Forged rocker support plate have been seen as overkill as far as
I've heard, but maybe it isn't after all ....:dunno:

It would be great if these issues was to be cleared ones for all ...:wacko:

zeb

1 - 20 of 45 Posts