V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a trip back from southern OH, thought I'd ride through Amish country. However, would like any experiences anyone has had with M/C around horses (certainly don't want to cause any accidents w/ horses frightened by loud pipes). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Pretty much the horses are used to the noise. Just don't gun your throttle when passing them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recalled an interesting story covered by the Associated Press a while back. The young Amish were installing premium sound systems in their buggys.
The buggy’s interior is upholstered in royal blue velour. A triangular swatch of the same material is attached to the dash. Silver key chains with colorful emblems - Guns and Roses, Cleveland Browns, and a miniature baseball bat - hang from battery-operated light switches.

Five stereo speakers - including a 12-inch sub-woofer - line the inside of the covered buggy.

On the seat is a selection of old cassette tapes: "The Outfield," "Vixen," and "Hooters."

"This thing will rock, I’m telling you," one of the boys says. "We were pretty loud at one point. Was that what the call was for?"

This Amish boy's buggy has a better sound system then my '83 Honda Accord. And I can assure you that that thing will rock. I mean now this I think is a stretch, 12-inch subwoofer among four other stereo speakers. I thought they can't use electricity!? If they are going to use an electrical sound system, why can't they just drive??

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What goes clip-clop clip-clop BANG! ?

Actually, I've been through some predominantly Amish areas in Pa. and everyone there kinda tends to their own business (wish it were more like that in other places!). Being polite, aware of your surroundings is plenty.

Answer to above: Amish driveby:laugh:

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I try and keep the noise down when I pass, sure the horse is used to most noises I just don't want to take the chance. I get a kick out of the kids when I ride by, they have these huge grins and are waving their asses off.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
The only major worry is when ya round a corner and right there in the middle of the road is horse exhaust...you can go down before ya knew what ya hit!

·
Registered
338 Posts
amish

yea me and the ol ride thrue lancaster 2 or 3 times a year to look at the freaks, np horses are fine.ps no refrigeration remember those flys dont shoo

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in Southern Lancaster, right in the heart of the Amish. The horses don't care. They are pretty much numb to the sound of the cars and trucks. We usually just pass them like anyone else. The horses that aren't wearing any blinders, which is pretty rare, are the ones to look out for. They will tuck their heads down and head right for you, like a Ram.

I did see a Biker accidently run into the back of a buggy once. He must have been going about 5 or 10 miles per hour. He hit the rear of the buggy and a dam air bag blew out the horses ass. :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:
OK, Sorry. Just a little amish humor. I'm done now :xhere:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
The only major worry is when ya round a corner and right there in the middle of the road is horse exhaust...you can go down before ya knew what ya hit!
Also the horse and buggy may still be there, be ready to stop.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
nessus said:
yea me and the ol ride thrue lancaster 2 or 3 times a year to look at the freaks, np horses are fine.ps no refrigeration remember those flys dont shoo
Intelligent reply!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
They don't seem to care. They surround them selves by technology, they just don't participate.

I do let off the throttle. Same as if somebody was walking on side of road.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
ROFLMAO HORSE EXHAUST!!! hahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I travel through Amish land all the time, and so far no problems. One Sunday it was pretty cool to see a young Amish man(no beard) courting his girlfriend in a horse drawn open surrey, all dressed up. When they get married, he grows a beard. For the record, the Amish don't use electricity, but most everything in the house is on propane, but the TV...LOL. World largest non-biker gang.

Thorns

·
Registered
96 Posts
We do aquite a bit of riding through Amish Country. We tend to let up on the throttle and pass quietly. That goes for both buggies and bicycles.

Watch out for buggies at intersections. Sometimes they may have a mind of their own. Last summer one must have gotten bored waiting for traffic to pass and started to take off right in front of the third bike in our group.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dont live in Amish country but.....

I do own horses and can tell you a couple of things. If you are parked around the horses(stop and shop, etc) Watch out when you start up the bike. My horses are real keen to that noise and react to it at times. The other is like everyone has said. Cut the throttle and noise when you pass. And watch for road apples!!! Can be nasty especially in a corner. Give the buggy and horse as much room as possible when passing. No sudden movements(swerving or something like that) when near the horse as they will shy away and maybe try to run. A horse will get nervous if it hears something but cannot see it. So at least make yourself viewable to the driver. Pretty much just good ol common sense.
Thought this might help.
DJ

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Don't worry about the noise...worry bout the POOP!

I'm from Canton and we frequently ride into amish country. The horses are used to the sound of the bikes since there are so many of us riding down there. One thing to look out for is horse droppings in the roadways. It's very common to hear of bikers wrecking their bikes on the slippery roadways.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Just a reminder from the movie "Kingpin" when you stay with the Amish be sure they have a cow before you go milk the bull.

:puke: LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts