V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about gettiong new pipes for my bike (98 Springer). I'm sure everyone says this but... my bike is one of the loudest I've ever heard. Not only is it loud but its a real deep and throaty sound. What i have now are the stock pipes with the "Screamin' Eagle slash cut slip ons" with the baffles removed. (I want to get rid of the crossover pipe or I probably wouldn't change them)

My 1st choice Sampsons Big Guns II Street Sweepers, 2nd chioce are the Vance and Hines Big Shots.

What im looking for is a pipe that will sound similar to what i have, but more importantly wont turn blue. Im pretty sure the vance & hines pipes shield goes all the way to the head, but the Sampson has an inch or so before it steps up to the shield.
Is this correct?
Does that narrow section on the Sampsons turn blue?
Do the V&H pipes have that narow section at the top?
Does a larger diameter pipe have a deeper tone?

Any help would be great, thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
259 Posts
"RockyMtnMF" seems like a strange userid for someone in Pennsylvania, doesn't it?

Anyway, if you want loud and throaty, you might consider Python3 pipes also. They are reported to be louder than V&H or Sampson, and I can vouch for that because I have V&H Straightshots on my Night Train and my best friend has Python3's on his Softail Standard. The V&H are plenty loud, but his are way louder. Also, the Python3's test better on the dyno than any other 2-into-2 exhaust (all other things being equal).

Does that narrow section on the Sampsons turn blue? Dunno about Sampsons. Never ran 'em.

Do the V&H pipes have that narrow section at the top? Nope. The heat shields go right up to the exhaust ports. Same with the Pythons.

Does a larger diameter pipe have a deeper tone? Generally, the bigger the volume, the deeper the sound (as is true with bells and other musical instruments). So, you'll usually get a deeper note with 3" muffler bodies than with 2.5", and with longer pipes than shorter ones.

I'm planning on putting Python3 slip-fits on my '02 Dyna. They have the same muffler body, packing, and baffle that's on the full version, and they're only $200, same as SE II Slip-fits. Use your stock header pipes and heat shields, and you'll never see any blueing.

Lots of others like the V&H and Sampsons too, so I'm sure you'll be happy no matter which you decide on. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just put Samson Slip-ons on my road king this weekend, [had stock mufflers] The sound is throaty but not ridulously loud. My wife even likes the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Hey Bob,

I'm currently running Samson Big Guns Street Sweepers with torque cones on my '99 FXDX with heavy engine mods. These pipes have no heat shields but they are available for them. The available shields are not of the full coverage style. I've got around six or seven hundred miles on these pipes and they have only darkened up somewhat within six inches or so from the flange down. Not quite blue but slowly getting there. The carb jetting is spot on so no lean condition is present to exasserbate bluing of the pipes. In my opinion, a subtle gradient bluing from the flange down actually looks kinda pretty. As if there's been some heat put in that motor.

Samson has recently come out with the Big Guns II series with fullcoverage heat shields. I don't know if the Street Sweepers are included in this line.

As far as sound is concerned, argh argh argh! These babies scream visceral testosterone to the fourth power, especially with a hi-po motor breathing through them. The fit and finish is excellent. Mine came without baffles and no provisions for them. The torque cones help produce some semblence of back pressure to aid in low end power.

I heard a stock Duece with these on it and it wasn't half as loud as mine but mine is pretty radical.

Check 'em out, you'll probably like 'em. Suptayou.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bluing pipes

Bluing in the head pipes only comes from a too LEAN of a fuel mixture. Any time you open up an exhaust you LEAN out the mixture you MUST richen the mixture or get golden blue pipes. So beware.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: The Blues...

Never in my 40 years have I seen a set of chrome or stainless headers, be it on a street rod or motorcycle, that haven't blued to a certain extent. The only way to prevent it is to never start the engine.

The carb. jetting of the mill in my scoot is spot on and the pipes have turned to the subtlest shade of gold at the head pipe area now at 800 miles.

There is no denying that double wall pipes will show no bluing and Dyno Coat will slow the process if properly applied when the pipes are new.

Certainly, a lean condition will exasserbate the problem but when it all comes down, ya just can't beat the blues!

Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey mike, I have a '78 Suzuki GS750E (4 banger rice burner) that has about 40k miles on it. Have owned it since 1980 when it has 2k on it. The pipes are still not discolored. Even at the top of the header it is bright chrome. Don't know how it was done, or it just is a cool engine, but I can say I've seen a bike that doesn't blue.

Now for my Deuce, it is golden blue with 1000 miles on it...

cheers

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mike, forgot to ask you where in Upstate NY you're from. I travel to Albany, Sycracuse, and Rome a few times each year.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Yo Big Al,

As for the head pipes on your Suzuki, they're most likely double wall construction. My Stepfather has an '82 Yamaha Maxim 750 with around 30,000 miles on it and the head pipes are still free from any discernable bluing. With the overly long idle times this bike has endured they've got to be double wall. I mean, he's let this thing idle for five to ten minutes at a clip in 80 deg. temps. These are the things that make me gnash my teeth to a fine powder!

As for where I reside, just follow NYS Rt. 30 South to the bitter end and you'll be just across the river from my house. The village I live in is in Southern Delaware County.

I work in Schoharie county from time to time. Don't get to Albany too often. Actually, tomorrow I'll be in Cobleskill for the afternoon to do a troubleshooting class with a new employee.

Later

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts