V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at various V-H setups and keep changing my mind. Lately I've been leaning towards the Stepped Drag pipes because I love the look but I'm afraid I would experience major power loss with those. What do you guys suggest for a Wide Glide.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
V&H Stepped Drags are sweet. Those 3" mufflers must sound HOT.
I went with my favorite, V&H Big Radius.
I like Samson BGIII Ripsaws, Porker Hatchets, BUB Jughuggers and if you choose to go 2 into 1, the D&D Fatcat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the Pro Pipe is a better choice performance wise but I just don't like the 2 to 1 looks for a FXDWG. I really like the BR's too but I think they would look out of place on my bike as well. I want louder pipes but I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Lots of low end thump but nothing that draws unwanted attention. Maybe the Stepped Drags with the quiet baffle? How bad is the power loss issue with these vs stock?.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Big Radius pipes look real nice on your bike George but you went with a more custom look with your bike. The single seat and lower bars makes the BR set fit your bike nicely. Mine is bone stock and I need to keep the 2 up seat on it for my wife. I'm going more towards old school with mine.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
MARSHALLSNHOGS said:
The Big Radius pipes look real nice on your bike George but you went with a more custom look with your bike. The single seat and lower bars makes the BR set fit your bike nicely. Mine is bone stock and I need to keep the 2 up seat on it for my wife. I'm going more towards old school with mine.

I see exactly where you are coming from...
If you are going with an old school look, your first choice (as usual) is the best.
I think you need the look of old school, one in front of the other seperates, and the V&H Stepped Drag Pipes are what I also see to get the look you want. You could opt to go with single size diameter drag pipes, but I think the sound would be ten times deeper and proformance would be a better than stock with the V&H pipes
Personally, I think your choice would look and sound absolutely dynomite..

One other thing, don't let your seat choice dictate.
I have two seats. A solo that I run 99% of the time, and in 30 seconds, I have a Corbin Dual Tour for when I take someone along.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you looked at the Samson line. Ground pounders,Ripsaws,sawed offs.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The Bassani pipes look cool but they look like they don't have the full shields. I guess you have to live with the chrome discoloration on those.

BSS pipes were actually my first choice but I started thinking they might look too short on a WG. I started looking at the Long Shots instead until I noticed the Stepped Drags. They just look bad ass. Big Shots or Long Shots may be my fall back. Can anyone weigh in on the power loss factor with Stepped Drags? I'm in New England so I'm tooling along on curvy hilly roads. No wide open stretches here where I would open it up to get the most out of drag pipes like out west.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a 2005 WG and put the V&H Big Radius on it even though it was bone stock as well. It looked great and even sounded great. I even experienced overall performance improvement.

Your first choice is usually the best one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Samson makes some nice mid lenth pipes.

·
Speed Addict
467 Posts
MARSHALLSNHOGS said:
The Bassani pipes look cool but they look like they don't have the full shields. I guess you have to live with the chrome discoloration on those.

BSS pipes were actually my first choice but I started thinking they might look too short on a WG. I started looking at the Long Shots instead until I noticed the Stepped Drags. They just look bad ass. Big Shots or Long Shots may be my fall back. Can anyone weigh in on the power loss factor with Stepped Drags? I'm in New England so I'm tooling along on curvy hilly roads. No wide open stretches here where I would open it up to get the most out of drag pipes like out west.
The Bassanis are gorgeous, but yeah, the shields are 180 to 220 degree. This actually is not an issue for me, as I have wrapped them from the head pipe on down to the beggining of the mufflers with black header wrap and replaced the shields up top, so it looks like jud the middle section is wrapped. It makes for a sexy look on a black Night Train.

·
Registered
146 Posts
MARSHALLSNHOGS said:
I know the Pro Pipe is a better choice performance wise but I just don't like the 2 to 1 looks for a FXDWG. I really like the BR's too but I think they would look out of place on my bike as well. I want louder pipes but I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Lots of low end thump but nothing that draws unwanted attention. Maybe the Stepped Drags with the quiet baffle? How bad is the power loss issue with these vs stock?.
I think the V&H Pro Pipe looks great on a DWG, but then again I'm biased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts